I Miss Iraq. I Miss My Gun. I Miss My War - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Miss Iraq. I Miss My Gun. I Miss My War

You know for awhile I kept up with the old crew, but I found myself living more and more in the past, many have taken their last flight, and I miss them more then they will ever know. I can see my last flight coming as well, I get to depressed wishing for the old days. I have Grand Children now and hope to see them earn their wings. I have seen a couple of wars survived heart problems and cancer, and I just ain't ready to give up yet. After my last hospital stay I overheard my son tell my doctor, that I'm to tough to die so God is just taking me a little piece at a time.

CybrSlydr
    It's a pretty impressive sight when you hear munitions are incoming (JDAM), see an F16 fly past at about 15k and then a few seconds later... this hissing/buzzing and BOOOOOOOOOM! The area about 500ft away from you just erupts. Especially when it reveals that of the 6 or so guys shooting at you there are only enough parts to put together about half a person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k42t9IRpaAE
    Cybr

When training for ICT's (Integrated Combat Turns) I would always try to re-enforce the idea in our crews that safety and speed were essential, somewhere there is a "Grunt" whose life depends on how fast we can delivery these weapons on target. This is why we practiced ICTs weekly,in and out of full Chem Gear, rain or shine.
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Oh and to add....
    Again as I prep for retirement, a few weeks ago the following realization dawned upon me...and that was:

For the first time in 24 years, I will be doing things for me.

You veterans know exactly what I'm talking about. For 24 years, my life has been wrapped around what can "we" do & what can we do for "them".....
    First thing I did after retiring from active duty (both times) was take all my black socks and throw them in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by T Square View Post
    Cybr

When training for ICT's (Integrated Combat Turns) I would always try to re-enforce the idea in our crews that safety and speed were essential, somewhere there is a "Grunt" whose life depends on how fast we can delivery these weapons on target. This is why we practiced ICTs weekly,in and out of full Chem Gear, rain or shine.
    It's a good thing you do - those guys helped us out in a big way that day.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    As many here when I did my time in uniform we soldiers were well hated in America..
    Got spit on and asked how many babies I killed too many times..

Now I see our boys returning home to cheers and welcomes I never knew..
    And I am Grateful..
    We who have served have a chance to develop friendships many never know, I am blessed to have several folks in my life still from my Army days.
    And we all shall a bond the civilians, often don't understand..
    I am Grateful for the men and women that have served and will yet serve..

And that in a small measure, I do believe We did make a difference, if not to the world, but to ourself's..

Seemed like this would be a good addition to the thread.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...220825809.html

Quote Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
    Seemed like this would be a good addition to the thread.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...220825809.html
    Holy Frack 10 years already - My how times fly!
    That was the last major operation that I participated in - very moving memories for me since we were there are the start of the war.....

SOH-CM-2024
    Cybr,

I almost hesitated writing. Combat vets, in toto, regardless of whom they fight for, all experience horrors that civs never see or hope to see. Sure we have the media and the reality shows, but like most events on TV, nothing can replicate being there. But the horrors effect different people in different ways, some never recover. You are one who loved the adrenaline rush, the constant situational awareness, the spirit of combat, the highest essence of sports there is, kill or be killed. But I was more the introverted lot, who came from a dirt poor county in North Carolina. I was naive to the point of not knowing. It hurt, it still hurts. Watching napalm bombs being dropped from air-conditioned cockpits onto grass huts in searing 100 degree heat, seeing young children running from those huts screaming while they burned until they dropped. It was then I became anti-war, it was then I became Buddhist. The horror lives with me today, I cannot go on with this, it is too vivid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Cybr,

I almost hesitated writing. Combat vets, in toto, regardless of whom they fight for, all experience horrors that civs never see or hope to see. Sure we have the media and the reality shows, but like most events on TV, nothing can replicate being there. But the horrors effect different people in different ways, some never recover. You are one who loved the adrenaline rush, the constant situational awareness, the spirit of combat, the highest essence of sports there is, kill or be killed. But I was more the introverted lot, who came from a dirt poor county in North Carolina. I was naive to the point of not knowing. It hurt, it still hurts. Watching napalm bombs being dropped from air-conditioned cockpits onto grass huts in searing 100 degree heat, seeing young children running from those huts screaming while they burned until they dropped. It was then I became anti-war, it was then I became Buddhist. The horror lives with me today, I cannot go on with this, it is too vivid.
    Vietnam is a wholly different ballgame than Iraq/Afghanistan. I can easily see why Vietnam vets wouldn't see this the same way. Our equipment is orders of magnitude better today, our body armor is more effective, our vehicles more protecting (were I in a Humvee, I'd be dead), etc. I do not envy Vietnam/Korea/WWII vets one bit - I had it 1000000x better than you guys did. Not to mention that while the wars don't have the support of the public, the troops do.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Holy Frack 10 years already - My how times fly!
    That was the last major operation that I participated in - very moving memories for me since we were there are the start of the war.....
    Truth be told it's 20+ years since Gulf 1 and nothing has changed much in that sorry nation.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Cyber, I think I see your point, up to a certain point. I have nothing to add, personally, when it comes to combat. My service was done on aircraft carriers in the 1980s and 90s. But still I think it might be oversimplifying a wee bit to suggest that the different emotional experience between you and Cazz can be attributed to equipment improvements between his war and yours. After all, there are soldiers who fought along side you who were (are) affected similarly to Cazz, and if Tom Blackburn of VF-17 is to be believed in his book The Jolly Rogers, war in the Pacific was simply more fun than Disneyland. He couldn't get enough of it. I've never read any experience of an RAF pilot in the Battle of Briton expressed in quite those terms... And even Boyington, in his book, flying the same planes during the same time, in the same place, related a vastly different experience. It depends on the person, and on the experience. Still the feeling of close comradeship you experience with those you serve with, that I can relate to. It's like nothing I've ever experienced in civilian life.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Well said PRB.

Still the feeling of close comradeship you experience with those you serve with, that I can relate to. It's like nothing I've ever experienced in civilian life.
    I think that close comradeship comes from the fact that at some point either in training or in combat the individual next to you holds your life in his hands or you hold his in yours at some point. Weapons load crews are made up of 3 personnel, I spent more time with the other two men on my crew then I did my wife and kids for a lot of years. There are very few civilian professions where this is the case.
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.