FSX HMS Ocean and Korean war TG Launched
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSX HMS Ocean and Korean war TG Launched

Members +
    Blog Entries

FSX HMS Ocean and Korean war TG Launched

Attachment 81836

Some folks here may have noticed I have a thing for naval ops, and have been making a career out of rescuing and rehabilitating older ship models, and ;when I have no other choice, modeling new ones, though its not my forte-getting there though.
    So. CG shipyards make some #*$%*%@ gorgeous ships. I was mooning at them again this afternoon, and thought, well, lets look at hex editor again. Well &!@# me! It worked. No cables, so I'll use her as a commando carrier. Was not happy at that, so I started messing about a bit more.
    I am still trying to get my jaw bone off the floor.
    It worked. CG's HMS Ocean 1950, acceleration enabled-working cables and cats.
    No animations, so you'll just have to put up with taxing through the barracade.
    Known issues. The model blinks in and out a bit - a LOD thing? I'm hoping for some input from the design gurus, perhaps we can beat this too. I mean, putting cables and cats into a model with out source code is impossible too, right? Not any more.
    You will also need the Pepper/Obio Dragonfly-see the retro carrier repaint pack for the late war Victorious.
    HMS Belfast and HMS C class Destroyer included.
    Beta testers away!

Attachment 81837
    Attachment 81838
    Attachment 81839
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]81840[/ATTACH
    ]Attachment 81841

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Please forgive me. I had sent out a flurry of emails last night, looking a few minutes ago, all the simvee adresses are T/U, only one reported delivered. Beta gone.
    Again, 10,000 pardons. I was so completely fluxxomed that it worked, I was certain it was just a fluke on my end. I also had no idea you were a regular here- good news. Tracking people down is often a fruitless endevour.
    Provided;then, I have not annoyed the &!$$ out of you, may I continue with introducing your ships into FSX. There are a whole lot of fish heads and crabfats dying to bounce off a Light Fleet...

I have explained the protocols in a return PM.

I am glad to see that someone has manged it so far.

FYI

The barrier you see was a crash barrier set up for cfs2 but the game engine didn't recognise the instructions for use. If your aircraft approached with sufficient damage then this would spring up.

You might find that by tweeking the cfg or making a new one other stuff will work.

All carriers I have made are equipped with nav and landing lights they come on automatically.

Ships have the same nav lights.

HMS cruisers have an extra light on their mainmast, this is historically correct as this was the turning point for landing Corsairs to line up with the carrier.

If you need any further help lemme know.

no word from this lot either
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...2-Ships-in-FS9

Collin:ernae:

A tad early for my usual tastes, still the more flat tops the better
    Prettty sure I got sea sick on this one in CFS2 trying to play te Ocean Fury Fox4 campaign lol

Craig
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Collin. Nothing like dead email links to muddify the fuzzification. I'll still have to sort something out then for the beta files. I was able to reproduce whatever in the heck I did. Golly ,its not a fluke. I am suprised at what MDLX can do if you ask it the right way. Would some of you bozo's who DL'd the test files report back in on results please. That would be a great help. I was getting a mildly annoying blink as I closed in on the ship. Is it my box, or something else.

Glad to see Lazarus that you connected with Colin, his ships are some of the best for any sim hope you can get it to work in FSX that is promising. Be sure to post over at FS shipyards if you do and have his full approval. We can always use more ships. Secured the right way of course.

good luck with it all. the blinking may indeed be a LOD issue... have to try to see if you left the beta up for testing.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

The Ocean and her sisters were the first carriers I made and there have been various models including one with a chopper guard flying beside it, they are a good 8 years old and I expect that is reflected in the lod.
    Now try an Essex class.

Hi Cris

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    The Ocean and her sisters were the first carriers I made and there have been various models including one with a chopper guard flying beside it, they are a good 8 years old and I expect that is reflected in the lod.
    Now try an Essex class.

Hi Cris

Oh, I will! Believe it or not, the conversion takes about 15 minutes chock to chock! I am sending you the beta Ocean files to host. I'm getting the impression the athe LOD shift is endemic to the model and insoluble. However; I can live with it. Time will decide. And I've sent the Beta file to your email. If gmail does not fart, I hope it will be linked back for the mob here to trial.
    Cheers! And , thanks again!

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 82013

Attachment 82015

Attachment 82014

An update. I've sorted out the LOD thing, the model is now stable right out to the maximum draw distance. You can just see Her on the horrizon in shot 2 from the deck af a trailing LST 9Nm astern. I'll be going back through Her now and fixing lights, bow and stern wakes, steam flower, tiddlying up textures, documentation and what not to send over to the Lads at CG's shipyard.
    Last shot. HMS Furious, Acceleration enabled, effects installed. Soon
    :salute:

Fantastic work, really enjoying seeing so much of the RN's an other Navies ships coming back to life in FSX!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Blog Entries
    Yes, bring it on!

Ocean looks delightful.

DL

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 82060
    Attachment 82061
    Attachment 82062

'Nother update...
    Running lights, are in, light map defined for the flight deck(still have to paint the map, unless one of the Photoshop mavens wants to paint up spotlight splashes, it'll be deck lights on black/black alpha), bow, stern, steam flower, boat background sounds and Tannoy-I must find a comonwealth tannoy sound clip and make a new one for that-
    Recompiled, added a few KB to the file- no noticible FPS drop in sim. Pulled on the pixel pushing thong and goggles and womped up a little notion of a clever mates. A wee bit of deck clutter- a pair of Seafuries, some deck and air crew, positioned as a separate model with a coincident zero and reletive positions, set in formation with the ship- some thing more than a few hecklers derided of no value- haw. It allow any number of deck vignettes, selectable in game from AICarriers, on any ship model, with no manipulation of the carriers source code. I see I need to adjust positions a bit, and clean up my quickie textures, but not bad. A remarkable tool AICarriers. Damn shame Lamont Clark would not resurface, he is a damn clever man, and I'd like to thank him again.
    FPS drop negligable- the Seafuries are all mapped, so any navy can be represented. Sweet, huh? Getting close. Texture clean up next.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Attachment 81836

Some folks here may have noticed I have a thing for naval ops, and have been making a career out of rescuing and rehabilitating older ship models, and ;when I have no other choice, modeling new ones, though its not my forte-getting there though.
    So. CG shipyards make some #*$%*%@ gorgeous ships. I was mooning at them again this afternoon, and thought, well, lets look at hex editor again. Well &!@# me! It worked. No cables, so I'll use her as a commando carrier. Was not happy at that, so I started messing about a bit more.
    I am still trying to get my jaw bone off the floor.
    It worked. CG's HMS Ocean 1950, acceleration enabled-working cables and cats.
    No animations, so you'll just have to put up with taxing through the barracade.
    Known issues. The model blinks in and out a bit - a LOD thing? I'm hoping for some input from the design gurus, perhaps we can beat this too. I mean, putting cables and cats into a model with out source code is impossible too, right? Not any more.
    You will also need the Pepper/Obio Dragonfly-see the retro carrier repaint pack for the late war Victorious.
    HMS Belfast and HMS C class Destroyer included.
    Beta testers away!

Attachment 81837
    Attachment 81838
    Attachment 81839
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]81840[/ATTACH
    ]Attachment 81841

Great job of yours, sir. HMS Ocean is a Colossus class carriers, can you repaint her to be some other ships in this class? like Minas Gerais , De Mayo and HMAS Melbourne.

Regards

Sindhu

FSX download is now available, its within the Colossus group in red lettering:-

http://simviation.com/lair/cfs2shipyard.htm

Blame Lazarus if it don't work.:isadizzy:

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    FSX download is now available, its within the Colossus group in red lettering:-

http://simviation.com/lair/cfs2shipyard.htm

Blame Lazarus if it don't work.:isadizzy:

Thank you, sir, Mr.Gendinning

Thanks for this Collin and Lazarus!! The most detailed ships in my freeware collection, absolutely brilliant! Can we have some more please??

As you may know Warbirdsim has released a fictional navalised Mustang and I just love 'what-if' repaints. Sooo..

Attachment 83263

A Sea Mustang of 800 Sqn recovering to HMS Ocean during the Korean War. 800 Sqdn actually flew Seafire FR.47s from HMS Triumph and the paint is based largely on that. All I gotta do though is replace the O with a P! And I have Royal Australian Navy Sea Mustangs in the paintshop (change the O to a K for HMAS Sydney) and can easy do a Canadian one as well (though without the Korean War stripes) for HMCS Magnificent.

Will get this repaint finished this week hopefully

DaveQ

PS - any chance of a blank deck texture?? Cheers!
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Yes, repaint the ships would be nice. I request HMAS Melbourne for our S-2F3 Tracker by Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations

Thank you,sir .

It looks great, but I am getting a fatal error as soon as I try to set up the group ahead of me. I've tried in the conf.d folder, and also with just the carrier and one destroyer as a new formation in the aicarriers.cfg file, but happens every time. An existing formation does still work, though. Any ideas, please?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    It looks great, but I am getting a fatal error as soon as I try to set up the group ahead of me. I've tried in the conf.d folder, and also with just the carrier and one destroyer as a new formation in the aicarriers.cfg file, but happens every time. An existing formation does still work, though. Any ideas, please?
    If you check the Model folder in 'HMS_Ocean_1950_FSX' you'll find that the model.cfg file calls for the wrong .mdl file. Replace it with this:-

[models]
    normal=HMS_Ocean_1950_FSX

That works for me.

One thing though. When I land on the carrier when it's moving, the aircraft stays still but the carrier keeps going, in other words the aircraft does not travel with the carrier. If you apply the brake/parking brake it will then go with the carrier. Actually quite useful when trying to engage the catapult and overshoot....

Now back to the Sea Mustangs...!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Why repaints? They are the right colours down to the rgb of the actual paint chips I possess.:ques:

Mustang....oh lord you would have been far better off with a navalised MB5.

There is a HMAS Sydney version but this is a slightly different model as it was a Majestic class, dunno if Lazarus is gonna try to convert that.

Sorry about the errors, but as I have nowt to do with FSX I can't help you.

regards Collin:ernae:

Thank you, that did the trick, though in my case the mdl was FSXA, so I renamed that so that they match. I've only just bought the A2A Corsair for Victorious - now it looks like I'll have to get the Sea Fury too.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Thank you, that did the trick, though in my case the mdl was FSXA, so I renamed that so that they match. I've only just bought the A2A Corsair for Victorious - now it looks like I'll have to get the Sea Fury too.
    I thoroughly recommend it - it's a real blast, especially with the sound pack by Nigel Richards!! Sorry, can't locate the source.

DaveQ

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Nice work!!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Whew!. Glad it works- more or less. Sorry bout the cfg glitch- I was making a buch of changes on the fly in a hurry at CG's behest, did not get to try any in sim, crossed fingers and spun the prayer wheel. More on the way, other bits and bobs, Furious and Glory45 ready to go, and I'll correct Oceans package when I get back to civilization.
    Likeing the screens! Got an idea about adding an angle deck- though we are stuck with driving through the barrier- you'll just have to 'close your eyes and think of England' .
    My thanks again to the lads at CG's shipyard for allowing this project to go forward. I still cannot believe these are CFS2 models!

Members who have read this thread: 1