Solomon 1943 V.2 FSX/P3D - open beta Feb 3 - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Solomon 1943 V.2 FSX/P3D - open beta Feb 3

Blog Entries
    ooooo McHale!!! .. loved that show.. movie kinda sucked though..

@Odie
    Well, now i can honestly answer your question about the boat.. I've spent the last 20 out of 28 hours driving it around the solomons and up the mekong to Phnom Pehn. I made some changes to the fde so it goes faster than 35 and pretty much stays on course when you put it there and turns whenyou want it too regardless of the speed. I'm loving this thing.. Marks scenery simply adds more too it as you get down and personal with it. Even if mark hadnt done the solomons it would still be worth it. i'd take it up the yankzee and down the danube and well, everywhere.. and i intend too ..

Blog Entries
    by the way.. its kinda funny you should mention McHales navy...
    Attachment 81022
    ::LOL::

Pam, you want some real fun, launch this baby at Chi Chi Jima and torpedo a few Japanese warships. This is a great area for the DeltaSim torpedo boat. After finishing up with Chi Chi Jima I purchased this great addon and have enjoyed her ever since.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Blog Entries
    Thats a good idea Tom.. I had been considering doing a full photo catalogue of all of the south pacific scenery as seen from the water.. but then i started thinking that maybe the folks here might be getting sick of my pt boat shenanigans. the view from the water is so very different than in the air, and also, sometimes like with Bouganville, it throws a few happy surprises your way like shelling your butt all the way out to the sea.. Chi chi, Iwo, tinian, the solomons.. all of em. they'll make for a great many days of cruising around snapping photo's, but i do worry i'll drive people nuts and get them all pissed off at me for spamming the forum with a boat..

As for the boat itself, i'm lovibng the damned thing.. I didnt at first though. At first, every time i got to 35 knots something would grab it and yank it back to 30 knots. Top speed on a normal factory fresh pt boat was 47 knots for the 70 footers and 41 knots for the 80 footers, but, with allison/packards well wishes just like on the P-40s, the mechanics did what young mechanics have done since pre-history and fiddled till they had some very powerful engines in them. unfortunately, no records were kept of which the fastest boat was, but we know they did race each other.
    I created a modification of the flight model that allows acceleration up too and slightly beyond 47 knots and gives you a turn radius of 1.5 boat lengths at dead slow and 0.25 to 0.5 mile at flank speed.. If your experiencing poor performance like I was let me know and i'll shoot you the updated flight model..
    Oh, Also, I've created the pt-73 paint and am working on creating that very light sea green pain more favored by the museums today. too the best of my understanding though, most pacific based pt squadrons were a light to medium grey depending on the amount of dirt built up on them..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    ooooo McHale!!! .. loved that show.. movie kinda sucked though..

@Odie
    Well, now i can honestly answer your question about the boat.. I've spent the last 20 out of 28 hours driving it around the solomons and up the mekong to Phnom Pehn. I made some changes to the fde so it goes faster than 35 and pretty much stays on course when you put it there and turns whenyou want it too regardless of the speed. I'm loving this thing.. Marks scenery simply adds more too it as you get down and personal with it. Even if mark hadnt done the solomons it would still be worth it. i'd take it up the yankzee and down the danube and well, everywhere.. and i intend too ..
    Thanks Pam! I'll grab it tonight. Woo-hoo!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Blog Entries
    ::LOL:: i'm simply gonna have to upload these FDE updates to the server here so everyone can enjoy them. All i ask is that people back up their original flight model files before installing mine, and let me know of anything you find odd or not working. there are quite a few things in the model that i cant actually change and other things that seems to work in reverse of the way they do on aircraft ( bigger rudders cause slower turn response? Smaller propellers cause the boat to go way too fast?? weird ) but mostly i have the boat handling fairly well on my machine, planing nicely according to the numbers if not visuals, and moving at what i would expect a nicely loved and depended on for getting your butt outta trouble PT boat would move like..
    What it lacks??
    the rudders on a PT boat were placed directly behind the propellers. this allowed them to vector the thrust left or right. we dont have that in this boat. I'd have to take the gauge from the sukhoi and somehow turn it on its side, and i dont know how to do that.. but it would make for far more accurate handling characteristics..

Thanks for the chance to check out the file Pam. I feel the Delta Sim PT is a bit sluggish as well and look forward to your improvements. I will be check for the upload.

::LOL:: i'm simply gonna have to upload these FDE updates to the server here so everyone can enjoy them. All i ask is that people back up their original flight model files before installing mine, and let me know of anything you find odd or not working. there are quite a few things in the model that i cant actually change and other things that seems to work in reverse of the way they do on aircraft ( bigger rudders cause slower turn response? Smaller propellers cause the boat to go way too fast?? weird ) but mostly i have the boat handling fairly well on my machine, planing nicely according to the numbers if not visuals, and moving at what i would expect a nicely loved and depended on for getting your butt outta trouble PT boat would move like..
    What it lacks??
    the rudders on a PT boat were placed directly behind the propellers. this allowed them to vector the thrust left or right. we dont have that in this boat. I'd have to take the gauge from the sukhoi and somehow turn it on its side, and i dont know how to do that.. but it would make for far more accurate handling characteristics..
    I look forward to your new FDE updates Pam, I love the PT Boat and you are right it is a bit sluggish any improvement would be great,

Hope we can see a PT109 paint also.

Best regards

Bruce.

Blog Entries
    I've uploaded the file to the archive here. You can find it on the bottom of the page at http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...h&page=2&pp=20

Since this has not been tested on any macine other than mine, please give me critical feedback as it will help me make it better. Please also keep in mind that this is a modification of the original files and not a new flight model. The way deltaSim created the files precludes making an original replacement. Should you have questions, please by all means, ask and i will do my very best to answer them..
    I sincerely hope you enjoy this flight model and the Deltasim pt boat. Do not forget to back up your original files before installing this mod..
    Thanks
    pam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    I look forward to your new FDE updates Pam, I love the PT Boat and you are right it is a bit sluggish any improvement would be great,

Hope we can see a PT109 paint also.

Best regards

Bruce.
    I'm gonna have to work on the 109.. It was a 1942 -1943 vintage boat which means it didnt have the rocket launchers, bofors, or 40MM on it as those were typical late war european additions to help take out Q boats and other shallow draft craft. If i remember correctly, there was even a version with a 105 mm howitzer on it.. But i digress..
    The 109 is an icon and one of America's greatest icons as it was driven by another of America's greatest icons John Kennedy. I'd love to do that boat, but i really wish we had an exact model of it to build on ..
    Pam

Blog Entries
    @tom..
    Checked out your chi chi jima today. Wow thats intense.. Actually "finally" was able to get a torpedo on target too .. guess it was just luck as my next shot sank a truck.. Beautiful job on the scenery. i really enjoyed it ..

If you enjoyed that one Pam, the next one would be Truk 1945. There are lots of of Japanese Ships in that scenery. There are several effects at Truk that are fun. Enjoy.

Iam going to have to get me that PT Boat one of these days. Crusing around these Pacific islands in a float plane is fun, but a PT Boat would fit in better.
    Here is a link showing the engines for the boats. http://www.pt-boat.com/packard/packard.html

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing that link. Thats an awesome page.. hard to believe he's built a model of the engine using laser cut silicon steel.. Amazing stuff that guys up too..
    heres whats confusing to me ( and probably a lot of other people too ).. Packard built the Engines for the pt boats. They also owned Allison which made the same engine ( or close too it 0 for the p-40s and early p-51s, and were later licensed by Rolls Royce to build ( ta-daaaa ) the Merlin. We know that the merlin is special.. no questions there, but whats the difference between the packard v-12s and the allison v-12s since they're made by the same company??
    i gets confused..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    If you enjoyed that one Pam, the next one would be Truk 1945. There are lots of of Japanese Ships in that scenery. There are several effects at Truk that are fun. Enjoy.
    ya know, those effects and the way you scenery folks manage them in a scene is what makes everything so special. its one thing when your in an aircraft and watching it all from above, but down close and dirty it really comes to life. having the smoke, the fire the tracers and all those explosions at bouganvile actually for a brief moment, put me in the middle of the nightmare ive been having for the last fourty years. I figured it out quick, took a deep breath, shugged it off and went back and had a great time, but for just a few seconds, it was quite intense.. I love what you guys do.. if it can do that to me, its special.. Keep up the great work ..

Three different engines.
    If I understand correctly,
    The Packard PT Boat engine(s) was developed from the Liberty V12 engine.
    The Allison 1710 V12, was not any part of Packard. Allison was owned by General Motors at the time.
    The Merlin was a British RR engine, produced under licensed by Packard here in the US.

Well, I broke down and got the PT boat this evening and took it for a shakedown. Looks like I'll be playing with the CS Weapons addon to see if I can get at least one set of fifties installed. After that I'll need to give it a good coat of haze grey without any hull numbers and maybe change the flag. Now if only I can get it to hit a ramp fast enough to get it airborne so I can use the torps on a Hind. Warchild will know what I mean the rest of you will have to figure out the reference

Here's a hint; the fictional harbor city of Roanapur
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Blog Entries
    :::LOL:; Of course i get the reference.. I aint sayin nothing though.. bet a few others know it too..
    I have determined that the boat will cross a narrow sandbar of ten to twenty feet with some effort, so there may be a possibility it can be lofted as well, though thats not the first thing id think of doing with a thirty ton vessel :;lol:;..

It comes with a save file and i think a mission file, so perhaps the guns can function, but i've never done anything with missions and really dont know..

Blog Entries
    ok, bear with me folks. I found a couple small issues with my update that will require immediate attention.. I should have this done in a few hours..

@ mark. Please forgive me for taking up so much room in your thread. i'll move it to a new thread. i promise..

ok, bear with me folks. I found a couple small issues with my update that will require immediate attention.. I should have this done in a few hours..

@ mark. Please forgive me for taking up so much room in your thread. i'll move it to a new thread. i promise..
    Hi Pam,

Tried your new FDE and the PT Boat's handling is greatly improved, but and it's only a small but it appears to be a little nose heavy.

Regards Bruce.

Blog Entries
    yup.. have been working on that and other things since 5:30 this morning.. ::LOL: my eyeballs are burning like mad..
    Since changing out the engines results in very bad things happening, ive been working on the power curve for whats in there.. however, just as when the boat reached 37 knots previously when it pulle3d the nose down and slowed to 20, i'm now seeing the same behaviour at 47 knots and pulling the speed down to 30.
    ive written the author to glean his strategy for creating the model, but there are language and social barriers to overcome. In a nutshell, he did a few unorthodox things to make the boat perform the way it does when purchased, and has offered little in the way of encouragement for making this boat real. However, neither has he asked that i cease and desist..
    As it stands right now, the maximum rpm on the engine is 2400 rpm. the propellers are each 2.35 feet in diameter and blade pitch angle is up too 28.5 degrees ( he used constant speed props to help with reversing ).. it sits level at idle and planes nicely at top speed..
    I'll keep working on it and hopefully have my way past this speed problem figured out soon..
    OH, by the way. I came across all the original frame by frame specifications for the boat and have been using those as well. Handling is much improved even over what you have now.. ..
    Pam

Attachment 81107

yup.. have been working on that and other things since 5:30 this morning.. ::LOL: my eyeballs are burning like mad..
    Since changing out the engines results in very bad things happening, ive been working on the power curve for whats in there.. however, just as when the boat reached 37 knots previously when it pulle3d the nose down and slowed to 20, i'm now seeing the same behaviour at 47 knots and pulling the speed down to 30.
    ive written the author to glean his strategy for creating the model, but there are language and social barriers to overcome. In a nutshell, he did a few unorthodox things to make the boat perform the way it does when purchased, and has offered little in the way of encouragement for making this boat real. However, neither has he asked that i cease and desist..
    As it stands right now, the maximum rpm on the engine is 2400 rpm. the propellers are each 2.35 feet in diameter and blade pitch angle is up too 28.5 degrees ( he used constant speed props to help with reversing ).. it sits level at idle and planes nicely at top speed..
    I'll keep working on it and hopefully have my way past this speed problem figured out soon..
    OH, by the way. I came across all the original frame by frame specifications for the boat and have been using those as well. Handling is much improved even over what you have now.. ..
    Pam

Attachment 81107

Thanks for the info Pam, it looks to be sitting better in the water in that photo,
    I look forward to your next update but do take time to rest yourself.

Regards

Bruce.

Just tried the new FDE myself and found things much improved. Anything you come up with after this is just icing for me. I did notice the nose down effect. Keep at it, you will find the answer. Thanks for all this.

The AAV that you could get at FS Addon is really fun for this area, I tried to send my friends the link to it but it's not there anymore
    Anyone know where to find it?, be nice to have about 4 or 5 of these hit the beach and start bolwing up.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet