Solomon 1943 V.2 FSX/P3D - open beta Feb 3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Solomon 1943 V.2 FSX/P3D - open beta Feb 3

Master of Disaster
    Installed! All I can say is WOW, I've died and gone to the Solomon Islands 1943.....a dream come true! THANK YOU!!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Quote Originally Posted by jojohnson9 View Post
    Downloaded fine. Read install instructions and had no problems. First flight over Kahili airfield, Bouganville and got a hell of a bunch of AA fire. Very, very impressive package. Definitely worth the wait. I'll add more inputs after additional flights....gotta find a friendly field to land.
    Many thanks for the hard work.
    Just landed at Munda.....lots of different airplanes. Much friendly eye candy. Flew over a few spots with very heavy flak...they were pissed off. Now to change planes and fly on to Henderson Field. (After I feed the CO's (wife's) cat and dog.) This is FUN !!!:salute::salute::salute:
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Just a few more , Now later on I'll see if I can get someone to shot at me at night .

Forgive the very mediocre screen shots . I've never been very good at it and mine don't do this beautiful scenery any justice . (I promise , I'm laying down my camera or "Deep Six it ")

Rich

It is truly amazing work that Mark has achieved solo....my stars...it is remarkable

my uncle flew with the Black Sheep from Barakoma and taking off from there just now in an beat up F4U behind what he used to call the Meat Grinder (the huge prop of those ugly old bent wing birds) was like hearing his stories come to life. It is am amazing work of mod making artistry ..these are with the default textures and have not switched on the custom vector made reefs yet...and still this scenery is a true work of art...

note in the above picture there is active shipping using an add on mod that added ship traffic from the period.

Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Just a few more , Now later on I'll see if I can get someone to shot at me at night .
    Forgive the very mediocre screen shots. I've never been very good at it and mine don't do this beautiful scenery any justice. (I promise, I'm laying down my camera or "Deep Six it")
    Rich
    Nothing wrong with your screenshots. . .they're in focus, give an excellent impression of the scenery, composed well and tell a story. The ones that look like the pixel setting was at it's lowest are the ones I wonder about. As long as you have antialiasing turned on (and why wouldn't you?), your screenshots should look just fine.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Having downloaded and installed this, I'm only now beginning to comprehend the shear size of this undertaking. Thank you so much for allowing us access to this huuuuuuuge piece of artwork. It's a real treat and a change from all the usual FSX stuff. I'm very grateful.
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Attachment 80293 Attachment 80294 Attachment 80295Attachment 80296 Attachment 80298Attachment 80297

All Views of Barakoma and a take off roll and view of the Flight Lines and Camp ...amazing detail in the features, figures, vehicles, and camp set up, completely accurate as per photos I have from that era, and one final view, full size as I love the Naval aspect, this F4U found a small unit of the nearest Task Force being operated by the add on program for ships AICarriers...which allows you to run active AI shipping...amazing work here....so much more to see

Admin

I found an anomaly on Ondonga. Across from the control tower. A truck sitting in the air.

Mark, do you know what this is? I am at Buka here.
    FSX Miramar XO, RAZBAM Flying Club founder, Team member, crud crew, beta tester, and all around good guy!

Amazing scenery...

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Around Rabaul.

Harbor.

A carrier with lots of AA.

Incorrect coastlines?

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk1130 View Post
    I went to Buka and never saw that. Bob.

Wow! I mean freakin', WOW!
    From the little I've seen so far, I gotta say: Absotively, Posolutely, Incredible job, Mark.

Off to get it installed in P3D...Don

Barakoma: First Take-Off and Landing. I was too busy swivel neckin' to hit the PrtScn key the rest of the time!

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP wet), EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 16GB DDR3-2400,
    128GB SAMSUNG 830-Win 7 Ult x64, 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro-FS9/FSX/P3D, WD 1TB Black-FS98, ROF, etc. WD Black 2TB-Storage/Backup,

FSX Miramar XO, RAZBAM Flying Club founder, Team member, crud crew, beta tester, and all around good guy!

While installing it in P3D, I noticed one thing. Effects/Textures... I always install by copying the individual files into their proper location, to be sure I'm not overwriting anything.
    Seeing as there were no conflicts with FSX, I copied the contents of "fsx-p3d-root-folder" directly into P3D. Merge = OK, with no conflicts.
    I loaded up at Buka and instantly recognised huge black squares in the sky. When I went to P3D/Effects, I had two folders Texture and Textures.
    Cutting the bitmaps from Textures and pasting to Texture fixed it. Simple fix, but, wanted to give you a Heads Up.

I am having a blast with this Mark. It is, by far, the finest freebie I have ever seen. :salute: Most of my payware is nowhere near this much fun. Thank You, a Thousand Times, Thank You...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP wet), EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 16GB DDR3-2400,
    128GB SAMSUNG 830-Win 7 Ult x64, 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro-FS9/FSX/P3D, WD 1TB Black-FS98, ROF, etc. WD Black 2TB-Storage/Backup,

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk1130 View Post
    That inverted cone was a dummy object I fabricated to locate certain objects I wanted to replace. It shouldn't be there and doesn't appear in my productive version.
    I'll check that, maybe I forgot to delete it out of the dummy object library. For some reason your installation pulls it first (there is an other normal object with the same GUID).

@ robert: I'll check on the shorelines without land. Seems like there is an obsolete file in the scenery folder.

@Don: good practice, copying only the files. Sorry for the mistake, I'll correct that.

Glad you people like it! Thanks for all the kind words.
    Tufun, that's a nice video!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Mark, I want to thank you for all of your hard work regarding this project ... absolutely outstanding job ! Mike

I have an installation question, as someone who uses a lot of Orbx products.

I'm not clear at the end about your warning regarding these add ons and yours. The way I read it is, if I just wrote over the existing coastline files with yours, without updating the terrain config, it would mess up the Orbx files. However, if I swap the files and update the terrain config it will be all right.

Or, we're you just saying it will mess up the Orbx files out right so don't do it? I'm just looking for clarification before I go messing with coastlines. Thanks.

It's fantastic Mark.

regarding the texture numbering, I had the ORBX sceneries I bought already installed. Appearently the other texture items can be added at the end of the file.
    Just a tip.

Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

The custom vector shorelines are just of the same kind that ORBX and others add. They are additions to the default scenery. When you insert them in your terrain.cfg you have to give them a new incremental number ( [Texture.xxx] ) and must update the texture counter.

[General]
    DefaultTextureCount=xxx (--> last incremental taxture number + 1)

That's all. As long as you don't overwrite other entries nothing will miss. If you skip updating the counter the new entries won't show.
    The only thing you have to watch for is that some sceneries don't append their custom stuff in the appropriate section of the terrain.cfg. The autogen definitions should be at the end of the file, the vector line textures above them. Some sceneries just append their new vector elements to the end. That can be confusing. It is a good advice to first check the texture counter so you know what number the last texture entry should be ( DefaultTextureCount minus one ), sort of as a plausibility check.

That's a bit confusing and a hazzle, I know. I dearly hope that Lockheed hears us developers (the issue has been brought up to them) and re-introduce the possibility of adding custom vector elements within the addon scenery folder, without having to edit the global terrain.cfg. That was a FS9 feature.

HTH
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Thanks, I understand it now.

Mark deserves a medal :salute:

Nothing I can write here can do justice to the dedication that's gone into this historical scenery.

Has anyone found the hut of the Australian coastwatcher Reg Evans on top Kolombagangara? I've orbited the volcano crater a dozens times and only see a small clearing on one ridge line. No hut however.

Reg is probably hiding as i bet Mark told him there would be a LOT of strange planes around for a while.

Glad to see your amazing work is being recognized for what it is Mark, one of the finest historical Add ons for any flight sim i have seen yet in my work. Well done!
    Admin