Bad Duck - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bad Duck

Paul, I suppose the tailhook must have worked!

I managed to land by creating a "lean out of the cockpit" view with Opus. I wouldn't have been able to otherwise (don't use TrackIR). Of course you can also use an outside view but that's not the spirit, is it?

According to accufeel I caught the cable on the edge of a stall, couldn't have flown any slower. On thing that made things difficult was the rather weak rudder. Was that the case on the original aircraft?

It nearly nosed over - not all the way to perpendicular. I think fsx would have registered a crash if I hadn't disabled that feature!

BTW, I looked for pictures of ducks on carriers on the web. Couldn't find any. So apparently they weren't used much from carriers?

PS: Thanks Ferry, I'll check out the hidden goodies tomorrow

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post
    Ah...lights! Sorry just one of many things left to be done such as the gear retraction crank. You will find that there is a lot to be done but eventualy with a little guidence from my friends here, I will get them done.
    Enjoy the Bad Duck, Was about to ask about the lights also but I see it is a wip. Thanks Paul for letting me take her for a spin, a real hoot!

Visiting Kermit's lake and playground:

I still can't believe this is your first aircraft! Very well done sir! I trust the talented painters here will treat her well.

Thank you again!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Brakes?

Paul -

FYI,
    The plane will stop when I squeeze the brake switch but I don't see the red "brakes" in the lower left corner like I do with other aircraft?

Edit: Brake verbage appears in lower left corner. Diffrential Brakes when applies also appear.

Ah...lights! Sorry just one of many things left to be done such as the gear retraction crank. You will find that there is a lot to be done but eventualy with a little guidence from my friends here, I will get them done.
    Paul, thanks for the reply. No big deal, forgot that you were still working on it. :salute:

A fun aircraft to splash in the water!!!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

This Duck, has me very optimistic in what's to come from your modeling abilities.
    For someone who does this for fun, I feel it's more fun for the ones on the receiving end, Santa.

Sign me up, please.

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Great aircraft, I love it. Ran a enjoyable patrol flight from Ondonga to Barakoma. Good work!
    Paul, your approach of releasing the Duck as it is now is great. It makes me think of releasing the Solomons just here on SOH as a premature version, why not.
    Yes Please Please!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Sign me up, please.

- H52
    hawkeye52 send me a PM

Oh yea... thats a winner! :mixedsmi: :ernae:

Thank you Paul!
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

More CV interaction, this time with Yanco's USS Enterprise (CV-6). No crashing nose-overs when I ran out the wire. I did bump the front of the float a couple times, but the plane came back on its tail. I think I'll move the main gear contact points about 2 ft forward and see if that cures the nose-over tendency. Paul, my compliments, this Duck is a class act.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and support of SOH.

Paul
    Thank you in advance for this wonderful aircraft. I am a longtime supporter, but will wait until you are finished with this magnificent creation! Thank you sir!

Navy Chief

A few pics to show how the J2F-5 Duck is coming along. All the gauges are 3d and a good portion of them work correctly, some need adjusting and some are still waiting coding. The flight dynamics are getting close to giving the aircraft a realistic feeling but need some fine tuning. It is quite an enjoyable aircraft to fly now. Exceeding engine design limits will cause failure. It is a native FSX-A aircraft (sorry FS9 users) and I designed the VC with TrackIR in mind so there are a few things and animations in the VC that can only be seen with TrackIR.

A few people now have a copy and I'm seriously considering making it available to forum members, as it is, with updates available as they develop if any are interested. I have a paint kit in PSD format I will also post for those who would like to give it a different look.

If you are interested in flying the "Bad Duck" I have only one requirement, you must be RED. Let me know.

Attachment 79576Attachment 79577Attachment 79578Attachment 79579Attachment 79580Attachment 79581Attachment 79582
    Hello Paul,

I am interested in your beautiful Duck I managed to download the paint kit but there is a password and I do not know.
    with all my thanks
    Marty

Thank you Paul! Enjoying the Bad Duck very much!

voyager

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    A fun aircraft to splash in the water!!!

That's a great photograph TuFun.

Having had the chance to fly the aircraft in the sim last night, superb work through and through, Paul! What a fun aircraft to fly (just as the real Duck is) - I've always loved the utility nature of the aircraft, with the ability to land just about anywhere, and carry just about anything you want. Out of all of the aircraft in his collection, Kermit Weeks often cites his Grumman Duck (one of two he owns) as being his favorite (but he also has the perfect airfield property to operate one, with both grass runways and a lake big enough to operate a Sunderland from).

Here are a few screens I attempted. I've got a carrier sailing out in Chesapeake Bay, so I flew out there and made a successful carrier trap on my first shot at it - you can just tell by the design, with the position and length of the tail hook, that you have to land very slow and make a three-pointer out of it. I ended up stalling at about 1-foot off the deck, just plopping it down into the arrestor cables, and it made a good trap.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

This evening I'm going to attempt to put together a repaint of this J2F-5, unless someone else already might be working on it: http://avionswwii.free.fr/images/avi...ummanJ2f_9.jpg
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by ferondoe View Post
    Hello Paul,

I am interested in your beautiful Duck I managed to download the paint kit but there is a password and I do not know.
    with all my thanks
    Marty
    Ferondoe,

Your name must be RED to get the password at this time. It is a special for SOH Charter Members (ie. contributors).

Dave

I really don't want to sound critical at such a gift but maybe something can be done to the crew's eyes. They seem terrified!

Attachment 79705

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    This evening I'm going to attempt to put together a repaint of this J2F-5, unless someone else already might be working on it: http://avionswwii.free.fr/images/avi...ummanJ2f_9.jpg

If you do that, I'd like to see a little weathering. As lovely as this model is, I always prefer a little wear and tear on my skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    Oh yea... thats a winner! :mixedsmi: :ernae:

Thank you Paul!
    So why aren't you flying it? :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    More CV interaction, this time with Yanco's USS Enterprise (CV-6). No crashing nose-overs when I ran out the wire. I did bump the front of the float a couple times, but the plane came back on its tail. I think I'll move the main gear contact points about 2 ft forward and see if that cures the nose-over tendency. Paul, my compliments, this Duck is a class act.
    Keep me posted on that and I'll add the changes to the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I really don't want to sound critical at such a gift but maybe something can be done to the crew's eyes. They seem terrified!
    Criticism is a good thing, it helps me improve on the Duck more then a pat on the back but the pat on the back does feel good.
    I hate making people and I was not going to put a pilot in until the last but it looks stupid without one. I cut the head off an old DAZ Studio Don model that I imported as a 3ds file and reduced the poly count. You may have noticed they have no hands. Eventually I will fix the pilot and observer but for now the aircraft is of primary concern. Radio equipment is what I'm working on now.
    After studying many schematics and photographs of the interior construction I would be scared to with all the late 1930s mechanical construction holding this aircraft together.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    If you do that, I'd like to see a little weathering. As lovely as this model is, I always prefer a little wear and tear on my skins.
    Actually with all my reading on the US Navy version of this aircraft the exterior was kept pristine during service but the interior was neglected and that is where all the scratched paint and wear-and-tear was noticeable. I'm not a texture artist so I have not attempted to reflect this in the interior. Maybe later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. The photo shows one area that I have been battling with and that is the side view of the prop in rotation. It looks like crap right now and I want it to look as it does in the photo. Since that version of the Hamilton Standard prop had no cover over the prop angle mechanism I haven't been able to make it look solid while looking blurred. I'm not giving up on it as I have some ideas I need to try.

Ever since the OZx Goose, I've wanted a DUck.

Hi Paul,

I'm also a supporter of the bandwidth drive so when my name goes red I'd really enjoy a copy of your Ducky, thank you. Its beautiful and I have A2A water drag effects so it should be a fun ride. The cockpit looks very crisp and complete, nice work.

Cal

Members who have read this thread: 2