Smoke Effect For A Marine Marker - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoke Effect For A Marine Marker

Hi Lazarus,

just to clarify this, the torpedos do not move, right? They splash into the see, then "run" or "wait" for a minute and explode, correct?

Seawing

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Hi Seawing.
    Yup, thats right. There seemed to be no value in having a ASW torpedo 'running' . The SOP for homing torps is to drop within 150 yards of of the submarine location, it sinks out of sight straight away, and begins running a circular search pattern untill the weapon acquires the target, then shifts into attack mode, accelerates, closes and blooey, so a delay after impact, then whammo seemed more realistic,though FSX torpedos have a 100% kill ratio. I've some half-assed notions(my favorite kind of notions) about a gauge controlled torpedo, but its just a half baked at this point while I try to wrap my skull around C++ and XML coding. Of course, some half baked notions have worked out fairly nicely.

Ok, having the search pattern in mind, I agree that "static" is enough. I remember one droppable object torpedo, that overtook the aircraft at roughly 500 kts (I dropped it from my Gannet), that was highly unrealistic. So rather keep it as it is!

Thanks for all your efforts!!

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Its a bit more realistic. Even an ALFA or a PAPA at full honk(and making more noise than god paddling a kayak up $#!%creek one-handed) won't go far in a few minutes, and lightweight torpedos are slow and short ranged- though thats changing in the newest generation of weapons. One of the most closely held naval secrets of the Second World War was the FIDO air launched ASW torpedo, and the fact that if the Uboot surfaced, it could out run the torpedo!

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Tried it, and I out smarted myself. Discard previous version. This onAttachment 79042Attachment 79043Attachment 79044Attachment 79045e acts like a marine marker is supposed to except burn time. And you get a generic Lightweight Torpedo to drop.
    Hi guys - I'm really interested in the smoke float effect as a drift indicator, but how do I get it ? I tried clicking on the attachment and all it tells me is that the attachment is invalid. I PM'd Admin and Lazarus but no reply. Thanks !

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dick.
    Had to clesr out the atachments a few days back to make room for assorted ships and what not, and to try to keep the server unloaded a tiny bit. It is also an evolving project, , so stuff gets changed around. Had just been dropping a Mk 30. Let me but the beta on mediafire or something. Check back shortly.

Thank You Sir - I'll watch this space :salute:

Effect

I don't know squat about effects, but I have a short video of an effect, by Erwin Welker, intended to be the oil slick after discharge of dept charge that leaves a 'marker' for aprox 2 1/2 minutes. Can you change the color? I suppose so. Can you add a bright chemical flare? I guess. Can you make it blink? (Oh, wait, that's not it-hehe). Anyway it's in zip 'fsx_pt-boat dot zip', found at FSCom. It's takes over the lights section but I suppose it could be used as 'smoke'? Link: http://youtu.be/_vQ-GfuFsyE .
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Edit: If your browser doesn't show video (for 1,000 reasons-won't go into it here) RIGHT CLICK the link, and ck 'Open In New Window'. That will work. When done viewing video, 'X' out and you wind up back here.
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 2