OrbX FTX Global
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OrbX FTX Global

OrbX FTX Global

Set for release in 2013, its a heavy price tag, but a promising project. Merely texture to begin with, landclass, airport enhancements etc. to follow later. There some screenshots and more information available here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/top...60#entry465715

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

That is awesome! I hope they include at least some basic vector data (roads and streams) as the default is just plain bad.

Clicked on the linky provided above. Web site says I don't have permission to view this forum. Well!

- Paul
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Clicked on the linky provided above. Web site says I don't have permission to view this forum. Well!

- Paul
    Sorry you will probably have to register at OrbX. Here are the quoted announcement from the Orbx CEO:

In 2013 we will be releasing a FTX product that covers the entire world with FTX textures combined from the twelve different regions we have developed since 2008 including England and Wales. It won't be a perfect solution because it is textures only (no landclass, airports, POIs, or geodata), but it will cover the whole globe with Orbx so you never have to experience FSX default again.

It will include custom autogen, 3D lights and some custom trees as well, which will need an installer that manages some global files, but you will be able to uninstall it and revert to default FSX again if you wish.

I am testing an alpha build at the moment and I can promise you most of the places mentioned in this thread look beautiful covered in Orbx textures. I did a dusk flight over the south of France last week and to see all the 3D lights twinkling over villages and towns was magical

The price of this product (less than $200) will include free perpetual upgrades including a constant flow of upgraded airports at key locations around the world, for example Helsinki in Finland or Manila in the Phillipines. We are building a dedicated team of people who will do nothing but work on continual improvements, POIs and airports around the world. Additionally, as Orbx releases the much more detailed and sophisticated regions around the world, we will dip into the expanding texture pool to finesse the global product, all at no charge.

Stay tuned for the formal announcement in January along with many screenshots and some video footage.

If you can imagine your whole world covered in Orbx, you won't have to wait too much longer

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Ah, thanks Montie. Actually I am a registered member there. Just didn't logon before I clicked the link. I should read the small print, or in this case, maybe the big print! Looks like an amzing package that I will have to get!

- Paul
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I suggested a reduced price tag to encourage more than FTX addicts to purchase, but truthfully if it makes most of the world ORBX style then it's probably worth it.
    I belive it's unlikely that any more Flight simulators like FsX/P3D or XPlane will happen as on the whole the youngsters don't want it, as we saw with the early demise of M$ Flight, so FsX or XPlane is it.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Sure looks good. If it 'runs' good, it would be very nice. If it crashes computers after 10 min's of flying from V-RAM overload, then it would be a little grim.. 10 min flights.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I think it is worth the price. If you think about it, this orbx 'lite' will cover the entire globe, so any succesive region such as SRM, SCA..etc won't require as much development time since ground textures will already be in place, they would just need do all the custom airports/objects. As a result each successive region should be cheaper. That way you pay a big chunk now for scenery, then you can pick and choose what cheaper detailed areas to get afterwards. As it is now you spend 30-40 bucks a pop for any region or enhanced airport, so you would probably blow through 200bucks on their scenery sooner or later. It will be really great to fly to places like Japan, Ireland, Desert Southwest, Appalachia...etc instead of having to wait for them to develop entire regions seperately.
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"In 2013 we will be releasing a FTX product that covers the entire world with FTX textures combined from the twelve different regions we have developed since 2008 including England and Wales. It won't be a perfect solution because it is textures only (no landclass, airports, POIs, or geodata), but it will cover the whole globe with Orbx so you never have to experience FSX default again."

Was interested until I read this bit. If all they are doing is recycling existing FTX textures and using them to overwrite the default landclass textures then I could do that myself without having to pay $200. I notice no mention of any new textures that we haven't seen before.

Sorry, but the days of buying high priced add-ons is long gone in my world. I stopped buying their $40+ airport addons so I sure won't be spending $200 for new grass, lol.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    "Was interested until I read this bit. If all they are doing is recycling existing FTX textures and using them to overwrite the default landclass textures then I could do that myself without having to pay $200. I notice no mention of any new textures that we haven't seen before."

You've got a point Ant. I have done this as a personal experiment and learning Land-class and it's tools with the Canadian Arctic with Prepar3d.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Looks like too same idea like GEX. Im right?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Looks like too same idea like GEX. Im right?

Yep, plus custom autogen. So if they recycle the textures from existing FTX packs, are they doing some color correction to match the colors of new regions? The shots on the ORBX forum look different than the default, but one can argue if they look that much more realistic or better. And IMO the shot of Austria looks worse than the current GEX EU version of Austria. I wonder how they are gonna mix and match the recycled textures, if they are gonna make regions like Africa look legit.

I think when they release this, it will be the end of GEX series.

Southeast Asia

This would be one area that I would be very curious if it were included . This area has really been neglected or possibly avoided due a lack of source date , I don't know . It sounds interesting for sure . Could you imagine what it look like if we had Xavier's " Vietnam War Project " on a ORBX terrain setting ? It would be " Back to the bush " for Rich for sure . I'll have to pose this question over at their forum(If SEA would be included)

Happy New Year everyone !

Rich

No point in speculating on the product, we'll see when it is released
    As for the projected price???
    If it is as good as most of their releases it will be worth the price, break it down into the probable effort required to produce and the limited market of today and it's fair enough.
    Consider the average FSX single aircraft release, around the $35:00+ price point and then the bloody things are duplicated because it appears that linear thinking rules, and for the price of half a dozen, ORBX are turning out what should be a first class value for money product.

"The price of this product (less than $200) will include free perpetual upgrades including a constant flow of upgraded airports at key locations around the world, for example Helsinki in Finland or Manila in the Phillipines. We are building a dedicated team of people who will do nothing but work on continual improvements, POIs and airports around the world. Additionally, as Orbx releases the much more detailed and sophisticated regions around the world, we will dip into the expanding texture pool to finesse the global product, all at no charge."

If the above is carried through then a mere A$200.00 is acceptable.
    Just as long as it is P3D compatible I'll be in it.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I think the price is very reasonable considering the scope and potential size of the product with updates . I feel like a kid in a candy store . With Mark's upcoming new Solomon Islands and now ORBX FTX Global , I'm chewing at the bits now . Really looking forward to the upcoming products and freeware projects in production . It looks like a great simming year ahead !

Rich

With what screenshots they posted yesterday I made up my mind, I'll be sticking with GEX. :salute:
    I already have the entire planet covered in GEX textures, so don't see the need to replace them.

A recent announcement from ORBX

I just saw this posted over at the ORBX forum and it looks like it's recently posted .
    Interesting to say the least . Looking forward to this .

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/top...78#entry466378

This certainly answered my earlier question on Southeast Asia .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    That is awesome! I hope they include at least some basic vector data (roads and streams) as the default is just plain bad.
    This is exactly one of the things NOT included...
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    This is exactly one of the things NOT included...
    Yet!
    "The price of this product (less than $200) will include free perpetual upgrades including a constant flow of upgraded airports at key locations around the world, for example Helsinki in Finland or Manila in the Phillipines. We are building a dedicated team of people who will do nothing but work on continual improvements, POIs and airports around the world. Additionally, as Orbx releases the much more detailed and sophisticated regions around the world, we will dip into the expanding texture pool to finesse the global product, all at no charge."
    To repeat myself, thus far all is speculation, and indeed, if it is not to any one individual's taste then said person is not obligated to purchase the product.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

It is hugely expensive compared with the price for FSX which contains the simulation and graphics engine as well as the default scenery.

Certainly very expensive, but certainly looks to be a vast improvement over default FSX textures. One of my biggest disappointments with FSX has been that default textures in many areas are very poor. Don't know whether I'd buy it or not at this point (have to see what it's like when released), but knowing the quality of Orbx products, this appears to be a winner.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Master of Disaster
    For that kind of money I'll skip.
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

It says in the announcement above that it uses the already published textures, so they are only renamed to replace the default textures?

As such it is extremely expensive, better to buy the individual regions which include landclass and buy GEX which is ok and much cheaper.

Those are my feelings on this.

Sascha

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    ...and buy GEX which is ok and much cheaper.
    Just wondering if you have priced the GEX products? I took a look at the four listed on the Flight1 web site and that came to $150.00USD. There's yet another on the way. It's not going to be free, either.

Members who have read this thread: 1