de Havilland Mosquito B.IV released - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: de Havilland Mosquito B.IV released

If anybody did a 333 or 334 squadron RNoAF livery for this one it would be most appreciated. Even though I don't think any of them did use the B.IV version. JensOle?

Im a bit busy with the F-86 at the moment and will pass, a BOAC "Norwegian" scheme might be tempting though..
    Lets hope we get a dedicated fighter bomber Mossie with guns :-)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus N210MS View Post
    where can i find the panel Light Switch on This plane ?:salute:
    Sorry there isn't one.
    I did have one coded on an unused switch, but then found some new information and used that switch for it's correct purpose, and forgot to re-assign it elsewhere.
    You'll have to use a keyboard shortcut for now.

Also does the boost gauge take the place of the MP gauge?
    Boost is the difference between manifold pressure and atmospheric pressure at sea level, so +4" of boost is 33.92" MP. Essentially it's the same thing just with a different 0 point on the scale.

when i hit the Panel Lights Key It does not do anything
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus N210MS View Post
    when i hit the Panel Lights Key It does not do anything
    Check out post #59. That solved it for me.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Sorry there isn't one.
    I did have one coded on an unused switch, but then found some new information and used that switch for it's correct purpose, and forgot to re-assign it elsewhere.
    You'll have to use a keyboard shortcut for now.
    I tried Shift+L but no joy on the panel lights. I tried Roger's shockwave fix in post 59 but it milked out the perspex windscreen. I love this plane but the Mossie was a night fighter any other suggestions for panel lights?

Obie

Just checked the uploaded file and it seems I've missed out the vc light fx.
    I'll upload it when I get in from work this evening.
    Sorry about that.

Just checked the uploaded file and it seems I've missed out the vc light fx.
    I'll upload it when I get in from work this evening.
    Sorry about that.
    Apology not necessary. Kudos and thanks for all your good work on this fantastic aircraft. Just wondering, is there a mixture control somewhere?

Kind Regards,

Obie

The mixture control is automatic.

I've attached the vc light fx to this post also. Unzip & copy the fx_vclightDG.fx file into your effects folder.

Videre Vincere Est
    Anyone noticed the giant .38 Special S&W bullet casings immediately in front of the exit hatch

But what an excellent plane this is! Thank you so much, CBFS

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

I've attached the vc light fx to this post also. Unzip & copy the fx_vclightDG.fx file into your effects folder.
    Thanks Dave. Does this require an addition to the [LIGHTS] section of the aircraft.cfg??

Obie

Quote Originally Posted by Warrant View Post
    Anyone noticed the giant .38 Special S&W bullet casings immediately in front of the exit hatch
    O2 tanks maybe or perhaps hydraulic accumulators??

Obie

the large cartriges near the entrance hatch are most likely for the Kauffman Starters. USN aircraft typically used this system with a shotgun type charge which charged a strter with the combustion gas. Obviated the need for skookum batteries and many other items that might require unavailable ground equipment.

T

I downloaded and installed this vc light fx and discovered that it only worked if I renamed it to fx_vclight_DG.fx,
    one of the lower spacer lines was missing, it now works o.k.

Thanks Dave.

Videre Vincere Est
    Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    the large cartriges near the entrance hatch are most likely for the Kauffman Starters. USN aircraft typically used this system with a shotgun type charge which charged a strter with the combustion gas. Obviated the need for skookum batteries and many other items that might require unavailable ground equipment.

T
    Thought that might me the purpose of the cartriges (though the backside reads .38 S&W, which is a revolver calibre close to 9mm). The entire aircraft is full of detail. Just flown my forst flight, what a joy!

This is a very nice and welcome X-mas present!

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

For all of the Mosquito fanatics like me, here are some rather thrilling photos, from a very rare vantage point, taken from within Mosquito KA114 (the only example currently airworthy): http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi...&page=1#175898

Note that this is a FB.26 fighter variant, with a different windscreen, fighter control stick, and gun sight (and a slab of armor plate sectioning off the cockpit from the nose (filled with guns and ammunition)). It seems like plans for how this aircraft will be transported to the U.S. aren't even yet settled, and the aircraft is already starting to be booked for air shows in North America this coming summer - such as the Hamilton 2013 Airshow, hosted by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (http://www.hamiltonairshow.com/). The aircraft will be joined in the air by the CWHM Lancaster and Vintage Wings of Canada's Spitfire and Hurricane.

Also, for anyone working on repaints for this wonderful model, here are some external detail shots:
    http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi...y&thread=17563

Glyn Powell's Mosquito, which remains being restored at his shop, is very well advanced, and will be the next Mosquito taking flight in New Zealand. Glyn was the one who was able to reproduce the molds for the Mosquito fuselage so that the rebuilding of these aircraft to airworthy could take place. It has been reported via Classic Wings magazine, that there are negotiations taking place between Glyn and an organization in the UK with big backing called the Flying Mosquito Trust, which if things go forward as they are being discussed to be, the FMT will fund the remainder of the restoration of Glyn's Mosquito (ensuring that the aircraft will be completed in a timely manner - next three years or so). The further results of this will be that following completion of the aircraft, it will remain in New Zealand for a year, flying at various events, before the aircraft will be brought to the UK where it will be based from then on.

Although it is 'top secret', work has likely begun at Avspecs on the restoration of Mosquito TV959 to airworthy, which is owned by the Flying Heritage Collection (Everett, Washington). Although the wings will have to be manufactured new, as the originals were sawed apart when the aircraft was in prior ownership, the fuselage appears to possibly be good enough to be kept and restored, rather than manufactured new (like what had to be done on KA114).

Sometime within the next few years, Kermit Weeks also wants to transport his Mosquito (which was airworthy/actively flown up until 1990) from the EAA Museum, where it has been on display, to Fantasy of Flight where the old cracked paint and fabric will be removed and the wood and glue joints inspected (which are believed to be just fine). If everything checks out with the condition of the airframe, it will be re-covered and any other work needed will be done to get the aircraft flying again. The only obstacle mentioned that is preventing this, is available space at FOF, with the need for another hangar, as otherwise there wouldn't be anywhere to put it right now. According to Weeks, after the aircraft's appearance at Oshkosh in the summer of 1990, he was planning on flying the aircraft to a few military shows before ending up back at his museum location in Florida. However, just as Oshkosh was wrapping up that year, the invasion of Kuwait happened, and the military shows got cancelled, so the aircraft remained put. Then with Hurricane Andrew in 1992, and the effects that had on the old Weeks museum and aircraft, the situation with the Mosquito lingered, while everything else was being dealt with.

Photo by Gavin Conroy (more can be seen in the first link in this post).

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post

T
    Coffman starters are still used. Their main advantage is their weight. They are much lighter than an intertia starter or batteries for an electrical. The disadvantage is that you need a stock of cartridges and you need (at least) one for every start.
    I can remember the Neptunes and Fouga Magisters which were started this way (my God I'm really getting old). I can recall a Magister which could not leave because it had only one cartridge left and the engine didn't start on that cartridge.....

But back to the topic; the aircraft is indeed full of lovely details and really a joy to fly.

Cheers,
    Huub

Dave,

Ive nominated you at the Avsim's 2012 RCA nominations page >http://forum.avsim.net/forum/408-rea...s-nominations/

Mate, i love this, you deserve the credit that is due....

BOAC ... Peter Watkins ... Flightsim.com

SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    I downloaded and installed this vc light fx and discovered that it only worked if I renamed it to fx_vclight_DG.fx,
    one of the lower spacer lines was missing, it now works o.k.

Thanks Dave.
    Thanks Bruce. That did it!! I knew something was amiss but I didn't pickup on the discrepancy.

Obie

BOAC again:

SYSTEM :

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    For all of the Mosquito fanatics like me, here are some rather thrilling photos, from a very rare vantage point, taken from within Mosquito KA114 (the only example currently airworthy): http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi...&page=1#175898

Also, for anyone working on repaints for this wonderful model, here are some external detail shots:
    http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi...y&thread=17563

Bonjour John,

Thank you for the links to those pictures...

In reference to the walk around pics with lots of stencils, could you tell me if WWII Mossies carried those stencils or ones similar to them or are they new and used by the DOT after giving certification for a rebuilt aircraft as to its airworthyness ... ?

I'm asking so as not to commit the unthinkable and publish an historically inaccurate skin...

Thank you for sharing your expertise on the Mosquito with us !

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Fleurdelys, I'm no expert, but the details of the stencils are period correct to the WWII-era (i.e. not modern), and are of the similar type to those seen on other RAF aircraft of the period. Note all of the W/T ("Wired Throughout") stencils which were very common to find on all RAF types, typically applied on fabric-covered surfaces (of which much of the Mosqiuto is). A little bit about that here (as well as a look at the similar stencils seen on Peter Teichman's authentically restored Hurricane): http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=339844

No matter the aircraft type, Mosquito included, you'll find these located usually one on the fuselage (always starboard side only), one on the vertical stabilizer and one on the rudder (always starboard side only), one on each elevator and one on each horizontal stabilizer (always on the bottom), and one on each aileron, one on each flap, and usually just one on each wing (all always on the bottom).

You might be able to find a guide online that shows the layout of these stencils, such as for plastic model builders. (One of the cool things I enjoy about having access to factory blue prints for a few different WWII U.S. types, is that there are drawings/blueprints which just show each stencil design and location on the airframe, all laid out.) Although I don't have the information to post here, without searching for it, all of those letters and numbers in the stencils do mean something. : )
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Members who have read this thread: 5