OT: A good (ad free) PDF viewer?

Thread: OT: A good (ad free) PDF viewer?

OT: A good (ad free) PDF viewer?

I need a viewer for reading tutorials. What do others use?

Ad free, garbage free preferred.

Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Foxit was noted as one of the best free choices. Two out of two responses choose it, so do I.
    Much appreciated! :salute:

What's wrong with Adobe Reader?
    Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Keane View Post
    What's wrong with Adobe Reader?
    Am I missing something here?
    Adobe reader is slower and slows your start up process

If you're like me and only need the basics, this is the obvious choice: very lightweight, very fast, opens a bunch of filetypes:

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/...df-viewer.html

Quote Originally Posted by norab View Post
    Adobe reader is slower and slows your start up process
    Not on my system, and of course, you simply block it from running at start up if that is a problem.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Not on my system, and of course, you simply block it from running at start up if that is a problem.
    Ditto...I've never had a problem with Adobe Reader. I am,however,fussy about what runs at start-up too.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

pdf-xchange-viewer

Hello,

I use the pdf-xchange-viewer
    http://www.tracker-software.com/prod...xchange-viewer
    This free software View/Modify or perform simple editing of PDF files. I like this feature specially when I scan pages of a aviation magazine. The result of the scan process is often that pages are partly upside down. Using the software I can replace the page in the correct position.

Have a good day

Benoit
    ALPHA BLEU CIEL Gmax Ac RESTAURAVIA Royale French Navy

My reasoning for not wanting Adobe Reader is mainly due to size of installed files, as I want to keep things down to a minimum as a rule.

I also recommend Foxit, but not the latest because it has become bloated like Adobe. This older build is much smaller, lighter and faster: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/fo...eader-2-0-1516

Even better BP. A very small foot print! Much appreciated.

Yep, older versions of Foxit. Sad to see many great freeware programs end up becoming bloatware.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Yeah another vote for Foxit, just watch you untick the options for extra browsers and tool bar crap

Windows 8.

It's doesn't need one. Reading pdf files is a default function.

FAC

Windows 8 might be considered an extreme case of bloatware for reading PDF files though...

I just couldn't resist.

On the serious side though, the W8 version opens pdf files really fast and seems not to be the resource hog running in the background like Adobe had become. Even saying that, I may still at some point install Adobe back in, as I like the Adobe pdf search function better than the W8 search. Time will tell on that one.

FAC

Same here, Foxit! Works much faster than Adobe.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10