Relatively OT - MiG-29 v. MiG-35

Thread: Relatively OT - MiG-29 v. MiG-35

Relatively OT - MiG-29 v. MiG-35

What would be the difference between a MiG-29 and a MiG-35? They look kind of similar, but I do see some differences.

Many thanks,

Walter

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    My very little knowledge in this particular plane prevents me from posting much, but in this case, after just watching a great video about the 29 here in SOH, all i can say is that while both look similar, they are 2 complete different planes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SokBfoIOiFg

Prowler

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    What would be the difference between a MiG-29 and a MiG-35? They look kind of similar, but I do see some differences.

Many thanks,

Walter
    There ware great differencies even between the Mig-29 models. For example concerning the model 9-12 there ware actually three different models. Soviet Union used the fully equiped basic model 9-12. For Warsow packt countires it delivered instead model 9-12A, which was a "weakened" model not because of power or flight properties but equipment. Those couldn't for example use nuclear weapons. For so called "friendly countries" the "CCCP" delivered even more "weakened" third model 9-12B.

Pekka

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Good read on the MiG-35 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan_MiG-35

Basically new avionics, new radar and new engines; it looks similar but almost everything under the skin seems new.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

For a start, the original MiG-29 wasn't fly by wire, more crank by cable. The 35 is a trifle more up to date. I would also hope the engines are more up to date, the MiG-29 is a very smoky bird.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler1111 View Post
    My very little knowledge in this particular plane prevents me from posting much, but in this case, after just watching a great video about the 29 here in SOH, all i can say is that while both look similar, they are 2 complete different planes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SokBfoIOiFg

Prowler
    Thank you for posting that video! It helped me a lot. I really enjoyed learning the history of the MiG-29/35 family.

Walter

Am I wrong thinking that the Mig29 vs 35 is comparable to F/A-18A/C's vs F/A-18E? Same family, whole different beast with more stuff in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandinavian View Post
    Am I wrong thinking that the Mig29 vs 35 is comparable to F/A-18A/C's vs F/A-18E? Same family, whole different beast with more stuff in it.
    From what I understand from the video, yes it is. It's just a bigger, badder version of the MiG-29. I wasn't aware of that before, so I asked here.

Members who have read this thread: 0