Moving from FS9 to FSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from FS9 to FSX

Moving from FS9 to FSX

Hello All,

I am looking to move up to FSX - I think. I have hesitated for quite some time, based on what I've read about this incessant need to tweak and fiddle with the sim just to get it to run smoothly. My FS9 with add-ons runs perfectly with all sliders maxed out, but FS9 is beginning to limit me on the newer payware add-ons I'm looking to purchase - the Sibwings' Pitts being one of a few.

Now that I have a decent system, I am wondering if I'd have to tweak much or would I be able to simply enjoy flying, even with add-ons. (It's frustrating to think my computer bild would not be able to run FSX out of the park - especially given the fairly moderate recommended system requirements!)

I just don't want to make this leap of faith if it's going to be a lesson in futility trying to get 25+ fps.

My specs: Asus P8Z68- V Pro Motherboard, Intel i7 2600K, Ballistix 8GB DDR3 RAM, Corsair H70 liquid cooling, LG Blu-ray drive, WD HDD 2 TB, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Antec Lanboy Air case

Any stories/thoughts would be most appreciated.

Darrin

For every simmer there is a story. No two are alike and all have merit based on the individual systems. Despite popular opinion what works for one will not always work for another. There are some, like myself, who own a 4 year old or older system and still run FSX quite well with most sliders middle to far right and get around 20fps. There are others who have had systems custom built for FSX and never got it to where they felt it was what they expected, go figure. If you plan to chase the FPS, you could find it a case of futility. If the system you have runs FSX smoothly, that's what you should be happy with, not whether or not you can get 25, 35 or above in FPS. . . . . .FPS, above 20-22 means very little other than bragging rights, and Judging by the specs of your system, you should have no trouble at all, technically.:salute:

Oh. . .and about those "fairly moderate system requirements". . . .you would most likely have to run most sliders far left or completely off for those specs to run FSX. More meaningless specs from MS.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

You'll still need to tweak... just the nature of the FS beast...

25fps with addons will work but probably not with the most CPU intensive addons like NGX in Orbx scenery.

Also if you enjoy General Aviation don't pass up the RealAir Legacy:
    http://www.realairsimulations.com/le...cyfsx_overview

Here's a great guide to get started. Enjoy!

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/f...ardware-guide/
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Ditto the above comments and I'd add that FSX Gold Edition sells for less than most good addons for FSX, so why not go for it?

Chasing the 'golden chalice' of excellent frame rates in all FSX situations just isn't quite a reality for most of us! However, if your 'thing' is performance aerobatic flying or VFR way away from a big city, then you'll easily get good performance from your rig.

There are some great guides to help explain and set up FSX - it's been out commercially for 6 years now, so search the reputable sites and you won't go wrong.

Regards, Dave. :salute:

I do hope you're not thinking of running FSX on such a paltry rig. Good grief man, you don't even have SSDs! Or a liquid nitrogen cooling kit!! Or a Mega keyboard!!!

Get the impression I'm pulling your leg...?

My rig: Core2Duo 2.8GHz, nVidia 9800GT 512MB, 4GB ram, WD 512GB (x2), 1680x1050 monitor. Can't see nuthin', struggles to run IE8, lol.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

With my moderate system I am running betwen 20 and 25 FPS and VERY happy! I too put off FSX for a while but now glad I made the move. Honestly...If I had more memory on my system I would have both FS9 and FSX.....I miss my Cloud9 F-4!

Master of Disaster
    Move to P3D, I did and I'm extremely happy without FSX in my life! JMHO
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    For every simmer there is a story. No two are alike and all have merit based on the individual systems. Despite popular opinion what works for one will not always work for another. There are some, like myself, who own a 4 year old or older system and still run FSX quite well with most sliders middle to far right and get around 20fps. There are others who have had systems custom built for FSX and never got it to where they felt it was what they expected, go figure. If you plan to chase the FPS, you could find it a case of futility. If the system you have runs FSX smoothly, that's what you should be happy with, not whether or not you can get 25, 35 or above in FPS. . . . . .FPS, above 20-22 means very little other than bragging rights, and Judging by the specs of your system, you should have no trouble at all, technically.:salute:

Oh. . .and about those "fairly moderate system requirements". . . .you would most likely have to run most sliders far left or completely off for those specs to run FSX. More meaningless specs from MS.
    Thanks, Falcon! Great points! I only mentioned 25 fps because that's what I've been told makes for smooth flying. No bragging rights wanted on my end.

And yes, those minimum requirements are a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    With my moderate system I am running betwen 20 and 25 FPS and VERY happy! I too put off FSX for a while but now glad I made the move. Honestly...If I had more memory on my system I would have both FS9 and FSX.....I miss my Cloud9 F-4!
    Thanks, Skyhawk! This is encouraging then.

I saw a review from a guy back in 2008 and he said he was running 25-30 fps with a system that had four-year old technology.

So then I think, this is craziness - go ahead and get the darn FSX and fly 'til my hearts content without a worry in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post

25fps with addons will work but probably not with the most CPU intensive addons like NGX in Orbx scenery.

Thanks, Ryan, for the tips and links! Not familiar with NGX and have not really been a big fan of add-on scenery, so no worries there. I just want to be able to add VR Simulation's Superbug, Aerosoft's DA Katana, Just Flight's new F-15E and F-111 and Sibwings' Pitts S1 and S2 variants without any hiccups.

For me, it's more about the shrinking array of new aircraft for FS9 than anything else. That and the fact that FSX looks absolutely gorgeous from screenshots I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Torkington View Post
    Ditto the above comments and I'd add that FSX Gold Edition sells for less than most good addons for FSX, so why not go for it?

Chasing the 'golden chalice' of excellent frame rates in all FSX situations just isn't quite a reality for most of us! However, if your 'thing' is performance aerobatic flying or VFR way away from a big city, then you'll easily get good performance from your rig.

There are some great guides to help explain and set up FSX - it's been out commercially for 6 years now, so search the reputable sites and you won't go wrong.

Regards, Dave. :salute:
    Great point, Dave! Your reply prompts one more question for me: what about this acceleration pack? Does it come with Gold or is it a separate add-on?

I'm also a little nervous about this SP2 thingy and FSX, which some third-party developers haven't yet made patches for yet.

Acceleration includes SP2 (Service Pack 2). Gold includes Accel and SP2. Service Pack 2 is where you should be, developers who haven't updated are too slow to get with the program.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Acceleration includes SP2 (Service Pack 2). Gold includes Accel and SP2. Service Pack 2 is where you should be, developers who haven't updated are too slow to get with the program.:salute:
    Thanks, Falcon!

Quote Originally Posted by vmx12 View Post
    Thanks, Ryan, for the tips and links! Not familiar with NGX and have not really been a big fan of add-on scenery, so no worries there. I just want to be able to add VR Simulation's Superbug, Aerosoft's DA Katana, Just Flight's new F-15E and F-111 and Sibwings' Pitts S1 and S2 variants without any hiccups.

For me, it's more about the shrinking array of new aircraft for FS9 than anything else. That and the fact that FSX looks absolutely gorgeous from screenshots I've seen.
    PMDG's B737-800/900 for FSX (the new one) - it's incredible even for a GA flyer like me. I've got the Katana - a little slow but excellent in-depth systems. I also picked up the 'Bug recently and am really enjoying that. I like the NVG through the HUD feature.

Will you run both FS9 and X? That might be the way to go - FS9 can still look superb with the right addons and video card settings.

Anyway, I would encourage you to run FSX Acceleration if you don't have that. Microsoft store is having a sale on FSX Gold (if you live in the US for shipping: $10 for the whole box)
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?...ctID=216458700
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

SOH-CM-2023

Thanks for the point to Kostasworld.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    Move to P3D, I did and I'm extremely happy without FSX in my life! JMHO
    Totally agree with Mud on this one.

For what it would cost you to buy FSX and Accelleration you could get the Academis version of P3D and maybe 1 or 2 ORBX regions.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

You can actually get FSX Gold for $10 through MS right now hehe...

FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

You can actually get FSX Gold for $10 through MS right now hehe...

I may just get a copy for back up. I can't find my discs here as we speak. I'm not about to support Lockheed Martin right now.....too many games being played with peoples jobs.

At present FSX Gold retails in most of the major outlets (JB HiFi, ED Games etc) in Victoria (Australia) for A$19.95 +/- change.
    In exactly the same outlets FS2004 is selling for A$37.95 +/- loose change.
    Basic FSX is going for A$9.95 ............ I now have backup sets for FSX and FS2004.
    As for Lockheed Martin, I'm more than happy with their project.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Hello All,

I am looking to move up to FSX - I think. I have hesitated for quite some time, based on what I've read about this incessant need to tweak and fiddle with the sim just to get it to run smoothly. My FS9 with add-ons runs perfectly with all sliders maxed out, but FS9 is beginning to limit me on the newer payware add-ons I'm looking to purchase - the Sibwings' Pitts being one of a few.

Now that I have a decent system, I am wondering if I'd have to tweak much or would I be able to simply enjoy flying, even with add-ons. (It's frustrating to think my computer bild would not be able to run FSX out of the park - especially given the fairly moderate recommended system requirements!)

I just don't want to make this leap of faith if it's going to be a lesson in futility trying to get 25+ fps.

My specs: Asus P8Z68- V Pro Motherboard, Intel i7 2600K, Ballistix 8GB DDR3 RAM, Corsair H70 liquid cooling, LG Blu-ray drive, WD HDD 2 TB, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Antec Lanboy Air case

Any stories/thoughts would be most appreciated.

Darrin
    Your system is much better then mind, I am still running Windows 7 professional 64bit, intel dual core 8400, WD HDD 320meg, Nvidia 260 card, (thinking about upgrade), but I fly with decent FPS. I am using extreme pc for better FPS which seems to improve my FPS. That is a nice system you have there. Enjoy FX10.

Mike in NC, USA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Retired Master Chief Petty Officer, USN.
    Windows 7 64bit Professional Operating System.
    Processor: Intel Dual Core E-8400(3.0GigHz)
    Video: GTX-250 768 megs.
    Ram: 4096 megs.
    HD: 320gig W/D

VMX12.......trust me....you will be more than happy with FSX. Sounds like we both might have similar systems with yours even being a little better. If and when you decide to upgrade make sure you try out the "Texture Max Load Limiter" program that is out there. I use it from time to time in heavy hitting FPS areas suck as major airport sceneries from people like Fy Tampa.

I would highly suggest trying out PNW from ORBX. Again if you want pointers on what airports to add...let me know....as they have grouped up some of thier airports and that grouping in itself can cause FPS issues.

PMDG's B737-800/900 for FSX (the new one) - it's incredible even for a GA flyer like me. I've got the Katana - a little slow but excellent in-depth systems. I also picked up the 'Bug recently and am really enjoying that. I like the NVG through the HUD feature.

Will you run both FS9 and X? That might be the way to go - FS9 can still look superb with the right addons and video card settings.

Anyway, I would encourage you to run FSX Acceleration if you don't have that. Microsoft store is having a sale on FSX Gold (if you live in the US for shipping: $10 for the whole box)
    Yes Ryan, I saw that sale and I purchased FSX yesterday online! Amazing price!

As for FS9, I actually thought about moving it to my external hard drive for storage purposes, so as not to have any cross-over interference. Perhaps not an issue, though.

I am excited to get it installed this week and get those add-ons in there.

Quote Originally Posted by langshan View Post
    Your system is much better then mind, I am still running Windows 7 professional 64bit, intel dual core 8400, WD HDD 320meg, Nvidia 260 card, (thinking about upgrade), but I fly with decent FPS. I am using extreme pc for better FPS which seems to improve my FPS. That is a nice system you have there. Enjoy FX10.

Mike in NC, USA.
    Thanks, Mike! That's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    VMX12.......trust me....you will be more than happy with FSX. Sounds like we both might have similar systems with yours even being a little better. If and when you decide to upgrade make sure you try out the "Texture Max Load Limiter" program that is out there. I use it from time to time in heavy hitting FPS areas suck as major airport sceneries from people like Fy Tampa.

I would highly suggest trying out PNW from ORBX. Again if you want pointers on what airports to add...let me know....as they have grouped up some of thier airports and that grouping in itself can cause FPS issues.
    Great stuff, Skyhawk! I'll check out that Texture Max Load Limiter.

Wow...what a learning curve this is going to be. I'm hoping that adding planes, textures, etc. is similar in concept to FS9.

... As for FS9, I actually thought about moving it to my external hard drive for storage purposes, so as not to have any cross-over interference. Perhaps not an issue, though. ...
    I've had FS9 and FSX installed on the same drive ever since FSX was released, and havn't had any interference between the two, so I'm guessing "no factor"...

- Paul
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 2