Craig and Matt's Sopwith Camel Released 12th - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Craig and Matt's Sopwith Camel Released 12th

Pam, I've had it up to 13000' and could have gone higher but it was slow progress so I dropped back down to 8000' where the Camel and I are happier, lol!.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Very nice model, thanks for making it available. It's a lot of fun to 'fly', although I now a have a renewed appreciation for aileron and rudder trim, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Pam, I've had it up to 13000' and could have gone higher but it was slow progress so I dropped back down to 8000' where the Camel and I are happier, lol!.
    ::ROFLMAO:: I'll be honest.. Thats why i never took it up that high.. i'm gettin old and i dont know that i have that long to live ::lol::..besides, unlike other aircraft, the one thing i noticed ( for those with extreme fears of heights like i have ) is that as you get higher and higher in this bird, the more you come to realize just how tiny and vulnerable you are. Its really scary for me, even in a simulator.. Weird huh??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    Very nice model, thanks for making it available. It's a lot of fun to 'fly', although I now a have a renewed appreciation for aileron and rudder trim, lol.
    Bone..
    Your not alone.. I consider myself to be the worlds laziest pilot. Set the trim and let the plane fly while i admire the scenery.. Theres so much more to this plane though that for me makes up for the loss of trim that its become rather addicting.. really, i'd rather fly this than my big pretty 737. when i land ( if i land instead of collide with the ground ) I walk away with a greater sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.. Silly i know, but true..

Tricky to land Too !

Blog Entries
    yup..
    a trick i learned is that once on the ground, as the tail lowers, center the rudder and aileron so that as the tail touches the ground, stick and rudder return to center.. and then pray there's no crosswind..

Hey, first off, I want to thank you for this old crate, very well done!

About the blip switch. Does anyone know what the primer key is labeled on a german copy of FS? Itīs my mothers tongue, but some of those translations are so weird, and I did not yet find the primer in the FSX settings. Or is there a way known to set the interface to english? Or can the button be set in a .cfg file maybe?

Did a flight this morning using Ctrl+Shift F1/F4 during approach, but that kind of killed the immersion....
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mugel View Post
    Does anyone know what the primer key is labeled on a german copy of FS?
    It's called "Einspritzung (sperren)". Whatever they want to express with "sperren"... :mixedsmi:

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Ah, I saw that one, but I couldnīt get what this could have to do with a priming system. Thank you, will try that one later on!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Hi guys, I have a small update for you !

The update includes a few new paints by Fleurdelys (Jean-Robert Turcot) and two new engine cowl textures, also included are the following

Blip switch V4 (John Terrell)
    Updated sound.cfg
    Specular maps for the metal engine parts.

http://www.classicwings.net/freeplan...l_UpdateV2.zip

If you've made any modifications yourself please back up those modified files

Have fun.
    Craig

Thanks again Craig:ernae:
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Thank you very much,Craig----very nice update.
    Michael

I wish I'd known this update to the metal parts was in the pipeline...spent monday afternoon playing with the metal textures to try and get a less bright look, but what you and fleurdelys have come up with is just right....thankyou both.

Matt

Small thing I've just noticed with latest version is that I'm only getting smoke when I press the blip switch... I would have expected it to be other way round...constant smoke with a break when the blip switch is pressed?

Matt

Hey Matt,

My fault I missed something in the aircraft.cfg

This line needs changing

smoke.2 = 8, 2.8, 0, -1.7, fx_smoke_camel

to

light.2 = 8, 2.8, 0, -1.7, fx_smoke_camel

I will re-upload the update package so this edit is included.
    Craig

Thanks Craig...let us know when its up.

When things settle down and you're happy with everything would you consider putting the whole revised package up as a single download

I keep noticeing things you've changed and improved... Spoke impressions on wheel covers for example

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    Thanks Craig...let us know when its up.

When things settle down and you're happy with everything would you consider putting the whole revised package up as a single download

I keep noticeing things you've changed and improved... Spoke impressions on wheel covers for example

Matt
    Thank you Matt for noticing this small detail...

I always wonder whether simmers will notice these small details which contribute in a little way to the overall view ...

Seeing that you have, then I'll keep adding them, if not for the enjoyment of most, at least for your own and mine... :salute:

After WWI, the war to end all wars, the unrest which had started in Russia with the
    Bolshevik revolution threatened to spill over in neighbouring countries which
    prompted some of them to arm themselves in return.

Some Britsh pilots even flew for the so called Estonian Aviation Company in 1919, a
    semi-military organization recruited mostly from British aviators to defend the
    Baltic states against the Bolsheviks. Now, that does ring a familiar bell, doesn't
    it...

The Latvian Air Force, circa 1920, was also geering up with wartime airplanes. The
    Letts received a few Sopwitn Camels (N6750, N7143, N8136, N8137, N8185, N8187, and
    N8189) as well as other wartime British aircrafts.

The Poles as well as the Bolsheviks (captured aircraft) also managed to equip
    themselves with this sprite fighter.

Therefore, along with the above mentioned "Poland_F5234" and "Bolshevik_1920" which
    have been included in the Update V2 prepared by Craig, I am presently putting the
    finishing touches to "Estonia" and "Latvia" which were all involved in the same time
    frame of the Bolshevik revolution.

It should be noted that my textures are rendered in 2048 x 2048 whereas the
    "alternates" done by Craig are in 1024 x 1024 which will make it easier to
    distinguish between textures for the following texture update...

I must admit that I have spoilt myself with the weathering of these last two wartime
    aircrafts and plan to upload also the specific updated weathered textures for my earlier efforts in a few days. This will include all the little bits and pieces that might have escaped me along the way.

All and all, this was an exciting contribution to an exciting biplane aircraft. I
    must thank Craig for agreeing to let me pitch in my 2 cents worth in his masterful
    rendition of an iconic aircraft. I can only hope that he will pursue his endeavours
    in this particular era as there are a lot of other aircrafts just begging for his
    creativity.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Here's a screenshot of the Estonian Camel.

They are nice paints Fleurdelys

dont suppose while your at it you'd fancy doing this one?....

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2007/05/stuff_eng_gronczewski_camel.htm

I like the fact it has the all Battleship grey front end that became more common on the Snipe

I did try to persuade Craig to do it for me, but I think by that point he'd had enough of camel painting which is understandable.

We have discussed a possible further colaboration like theCamel, because it has been so much fun to use... and I have on order some books with drawings on the Sopwith Pup, RE8 and Bristol Bulldog... but all I can say at the moment is we will see.

Matt

I meant to say Fleurdelys I liked the Metal turned cowl finish you did on that special cowl texture and I did a modified version of it with all the metal done like that... for my own use. I've added it to "Wonga Bonga" as that was the only one I thought I saw in some picture with that finish. I dont think it tended to last long after the aircraft reached the front.

Matt

They are nice paints Fleurdelys

dont suppose while your at it you'd fancy doing this one?....

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2007/05/stuff_eng_gronczewski_camel.htm

I like the fact it has the all Battleship grey front end that became more common on the Snipe

I did try to persuade Craig to do it for me, but I think by that point he'd had enough of camel painting which is understandable.

We have discussed a possible further colaboration like theCamel, because it has been so much fun to use... and I have on order some books with drawings on the Sopwith Pup, RE8 and Bristol Bulldog... but all I can say at the moment is we will see.

Matt
    Bonjour Matt,

Took a look at your request and it has a serious paint chipping problem...
    Would you mind if I toned it down a bit, at least on the canvas portion as I doubt that paint chipping would have really occurred on canvas.

Do you want it as clean as shown in IPMS or with added weathering ? (it's the same price for one option or the other)...
    As you mentioned, they wouldn't stay clean for long in the field.
    Your three projects possibilities would be great (with my first preference going for the Bulldog)...

Will take a few days to complete.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Thanks Fleurdelys

I'd be happy with as shown and any light weathering you fancy adding... just be happy to see one like this.

Matt

...We have discussed a possible further colaboration like theCamel, because it has been so much fun to use... and I have on order some books with drawings on the Sopwith Pup, RE8 and Bristol Bulldog... but all I can say at the moment is we will see.

Matt
    I'd love to see a "Harry Tate" for FsX!
    SYSTEM :

Craig and I's taste in WWI aircraft is very similar. The Pup is No1 for him and I'm leaning that way but it will depend on the quality of the references and which way the wind is blowing when I start forging pixels into shape I think the Pup would be quicker to produce because I can use a lot of the parts I've created for the Camel.

Fleurdelys... I didnt answer you question about the peeling paint on that repaint... No I didnt like that either... I suppose it could be some sort of primer showing through but personally I wouldnt bother with it. It might be nice to have some of the paint peeling on the metalwork so you can see a bit of metal through the Battleship grey here and there, but I tend to think with that sort of thing a little looks better than a lot.

Matt

Craig and I's taste in WWI aircraft is very similar. The Pup is No1 for him and I'm leaning that way but it will depend on the quality of the references and which way the wind is blowing when I start forging pixels I think the Pup would be quicker to produce because I can use a lot of the parts I've created for the Camel.

Fleurdelys... I didnt answer you question about the peeling paint on that repaint... No I didnt like that either... I suppose it could be some sort of primer showing through but personally I wouldnt bother with it. It might be nice to have some of the paint peeling on the metalwork so you can see a bit of metal through the Battleship grey here and there, but I tend to think with that sort of thing a little looks better than a lot.

Matt
    Hi Matt,

I'm glad that our tastes also meet on the paint peeling...

I indulged in research on the subject prior to getting underway with the paint and found some nice info on this Canadian ace. Found a few profiles at the usual places and only one (partial) pic of the peeled paint to vouch for the authenticity of your reference...
    I agree with you that we could restrain ourselves with the paint chipping and yes, I did intend to do some chipping on the metal parts as I've already done on some of my Camel repaints. The wheel covers on the profiles all seem to be of the same colour as the main airframe but as I love "red", I will use it along with the spokes faint representation.
    I'm a bit baffled by the choice of the main airframe base colour on your reference (Raw umber) as most profiles seem to favour the more greenish khaki found on Craig's paints. As I've tried it on (Raw umber) and it is not that far off, I will use it to get as close to your reference as possible...
    It could be that the profiles found were for his mount at an earlier date as the partial picture does show the use of light grey on the cowling and the side of the cockpit as in your reference.
    It should be ready this weekend and I will upload it along with the others.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Members who have read this thread: 1