ORBX England is released - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ORBX England is released

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Taking-off from Lundy

Where's my like button ;-)
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Lovely job Rob + Milton:ernae:
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Thanks for the updates, more than likely I'll wait until Wales and Scotland become available.

By the way I was aware that kmz files are read by google earth but I belong to the "don't install unless you really need it gang". Less to go wrong or clog up your system. And don't ask me about "auto updaters" that software installs without asking you first. I hate them as I feel you lose control of your system, after all its yours not the blankty blank software firms.

Cheers Ron

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    Basically, what I need to do is to go to every airfield I've done, find all the problems, put linear object excludes through any modern road that is added (this happens with UTX as well, not just Orbx), create a grass landclass poly under every airfield to avoid trees showing through where Orbx have broken the default AB_xxx polygon, put one or more legacy "exclude everything" boxes over the top, upversion, edit the text file, rezip, re-upload, lather, rinse, repeat for every airfield.

...or just put up a post that says "Not compatible with Orbx scenery."

It looks from their forum like some of the England team want to do WW2 airfields anyway. I'd rather they fix the (not insignificant) issues with England first, but hey. If they want to create better airfields than me, it's not hard and they're very much more than welcome to do so. I only do what I do because no-one else did!

Ian P.
    Ian. I guarantee that any of my sceneries works with only one other manfacturer's scenery. MS Flight Simulator. End of. If other manufacturers want to break the rules that's their problem not mine.
    MickeyD

Sorry if I have missed it but how big (physically in GBs) is it? I currently have Horizon GenX installed and that was 12 dvds + 3 more dvds for the v3 update totally 95.6gb on hdd.

Bigger or smaller? (Smaller would be nice, to get some hdd space back)

It's about 3 gig from memory, Darren.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Charter Member 2015

Just over 3GB download and...

It's around 5GB when installed.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blimey!

I'll have to write my letter to Santa then

Thanks.

Still enjoying England...with Bill's TRi-Pacer, with a Barnes repaint...

SYSTEM :

Just a question based on the posts...I just want to understand clearly

So All addon scenery for England must be remove for this ORBX England scenery to work correctly

all Freeware ACG RAF and Duford? Popham, Oldwarden and such plus Payware like earthsimulations will not work with the ORBX england

and only ORBX addons will work with ORBX england

Nice screen shot Roger, the scenery and Plane/paint

Quote Originally Posted by doublecool View Post
    Just a question based on the posts...I just want to understand clearly

So All addon scenery for England must be remove for this ORBX England scenery to work correctly

all Freeware ACG RAF and Duford? Popham, Oldwarden and such plus Payware like earthsimulations will not work with the ORBX england

and only ORBX addons will work with ORBX england

Nice screen shot Roger, the scenery and Plane/paint
    I have not found that to be true. I just insure that my nUK addon airfield folders are ABOVE the OrbX EU entries in the
    FSX Scenery Library menu...that is further DOWN in the scenery.cfg file.

On a couple of the airbases I checked and saw trees on the runwys, etc, I moved those folders up and all was well.

At the version of UKBA that the 91st BG uses, the only 'incursion' was a lake that appeared out where the ammo
    bunkers are located. A simple 'exclude all water polys' in SBuilderX removed the lake. I also needed to trim a few
    ]trees back on the approaches to Rwy 25 and 17 that stuck up in the ILS glide slope. Again, SBuilderX to the rescue.

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

I was surprised to receive in the post a couple of days ago, my DVD copy of the scenery, thinking that it wasn't going to be available until a few days before Christmas.

But after having installed the software and had a couple of short flights around my local area, I'n afraid to say that its not for me and I've therefore removed it from my system. Of course it is far better than the default scenery and if you're not a fan of the GenX VFR photographic then it a worthy successor, but I thought it would be a little bit more realistic than it is in its original form is.

I love Orbx scenery, but think appreciate it more when its not on my own doorstep and is somewhere on the other side of the world where I have never been or only have brief memories of. I'm loving PNW and am looking forward to the other new releases. But sadly England (IMVVHO) is not for me.

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    I was surprised to receive in the post a couple of days ago, my DVD copy of the scenery, thinking that it wasn't going to be available until a few days before Christmas.

But after having installed the software and had a couple of short flights around my local area, I'n afraid to say that its not for me and I've therefore removed it from my system. Of course it is far better than the default scenery and if you're not a fan of the GenX VFR photographic then it a worthy successor, but I thought it would be a little bit more realistic than it is in its original form is.

Martin
    Same here I'm sad to say, but I'll leave it on as it's considerably better than the default.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

I had no illusions and knew it wasn't photo real as I have a great deal of ORBX scenery and besides the photo real I've seen for England looks hopeless for low 'n' slow so I'm happy. EGCD is in the right place so that's a bonus. There will be a patch probably after Christmas resolving a whole host of issues and then my other default field Compton Abbas will have it's one flashy building fixed. I don't know in what order they will release the rest of the UK but I hope Wales is next so I can fly in Snowdonia :mixedsmi:
    SYSTEM :

Whatever they do, I hope the patch brings in some of the wow factor that normally attain, just having beaches showing would help enormously, a more rugged coastline texture set, especially the south west coast would go a long way too and for areas like the Lake District photo textures replacing default farmland textures would bring in some of the rugged majesty of the region. Towns and cities are way off the mark, but these need a lot of autogen to get right and already my system crawls around Dunsfold between Heathrow and Gatwick.

Seeing those colorful fields in the scenery, and the white cliffs, I´d like to give it a try, but it´s over my budget right now. I don´t use a lot of scenery for UK now, as I never liked the default landscape rendition, so compability wouldn´t be an issue for me....

If anyone wants to get rid of his box version, for a fair price, I might be in for a deal.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Same here I'm sad to say, but I'll leave it on as it's considerably better than the default.

DaveQ
    you guys arent the first to say it or will be the last, the kiwis said the same thing not long ago, and many in Oz said the same for the local areas

Orbx regions delivers a "mood environment" when flying, while its still better than default, its very hard to say its scenery is realistic, unlike its airfields, they're another story !

Its an interesting read on their forums when region packs are released, 95% of the praises are from people who aren't locals, and usually the locals post criticisms until their posts are deleted and they're banned

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    you guys arent the first to say it or will be the last, the kiwis said the same thing not long ago, and many in Oz said the same for the local areas

Orbx regions delivers a "mood environment" when flying, while its still better than default, its very hard to say its scenery is realistic, unlike its airfields, they are another things

Its an interesting read on their forums when region packs are released, 95% of the praises are from people who aren't locals, and usually the locals post criticisms until their posts are deleted and they're banned
    That is priceless and so factual jeansy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I had no illusions and knew it wasn't photo real as I have a great deal of ORBX scenery and besides the photo real I've seen for England looks hopeless for low 'n' slow so I'm happy. EGCD is in the right place so that's a bonus. There will be a patch probably after Christmas resolving a whole host of issues and then my other default field Compton Abbas will have it's one flashy building fixed. I don't know in what order they will release the rest of the UK but I hope Wales is next so I can fly in Snowdonia :mixedsmi:
    I'm a low and slow man myself, both on the PC and in real life!!!

I used to think that the GenX scenery was a little too clinical, a little too clean, but now having upgraded my PC and gone back to it again, I'm somewhat enjoying the experience. As costs are getting so expensive these days, I don't normally venture anywhere out of Devon and Cornwall, but Compton Abbas is a firm favourite for a good lunch out, with Old Sarum being a little further down the road, but still good for filling empty stomachs!!!

We all get out of the sim what we want and if we all did like the same thing, life would be incredibly boring, so I'm glad that people are enjoying Orbx. I am certainly loving PNW at the moment and hope that in the future (as it will) the England package will be bettered. But my copy is off to my local ATC Squadron, who are very much into flight simulation.

Best wishes,

Martin

I only have two of their region packs PNW an NZNI, and while I'm reasonably happy with them, they never have been anything wow inducing. I think we are now seeing the moment where FSX has shown its possibilities and limitations. All them fancy flow techs cannot hide the fact that landclass based scenery looks like landclass based scenery, no matter what. The increase in quality between current FTX sceneries is not the same we saw between FTX AU and FTX PNW. It's same ol' same ol'. What we really need now is a new sim, which increases the visual realism a few notches and brings us the wow factor again. And I'm not talking about P3D.

First, I think this is an excellent product.

Second, I believe that the use of such a product in FSX an how it may or may not "enhance" the simulation experience is highly subjective.

It is completely acceptable that some of us think this is well worth the investment and that other would not think it "their cup of tea". I believe T6flyer is of the latter, and that's quite all right in my book. I also note that he is quick to point out that he's not disparaging the product in any way....just doesn't think it's what he's looking for.

I personally dislike photo real scenery, both in the cockpit and on the ground and will unload any I might inadvertently pick up although I know there are some who are really enthusiastic about it...I also really liked the "ham and eggs" the Army used to provide in my field rations--while most other folks couldn't stand it....but again, your mileage may differ.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    I only have two of their region packs PNW an NZNI, and while I'm reasonably happy with them, they never have been anything wow inducing. I think we are now seeing the moment where FSX has shown its possibilities and limitations. All them fancy flow techs cannot hide the fact that landclass based scenery looks like landclass based scenery, no matter what. The increase in quality between current FTX sceneries is not the same we saw between FTX AU and FTX PNW. It's same ol' same ol'. What we really need now is a new sim, which increases the visual realism a few notches and brings us the wow factor again. And I'm not talking about P3D.
    I hear what you're saying...we're actually getting to the point where we have systems at the house that can support this kind of realism. Only question is, can you make a buck off it....because if you can't it will never happen.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Members who have read this thread: 1