Getting Started With Gmax

Thread: Getting Started With Gmax

Hybrid View

SOH-CM-2023
    Gmax export problem with some textures not transferring - they show in Gmax but not in FS9 - I keep getting this problem on my other models & the only way so far to overcome it has been to redraw the item & remap it. This time though it ain't working on a couple it items - a toroid for the tyres & a plane surface.
    I've tried converting to a mesh & pressing UVW remove - which it does in Gmax & the FS9 export, but they still do not take the texture when re-mapped.
    Any ideas folks - I'm losing a lot of hair.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Gmax export problem with some textures not transferring - they show in Gmax but not in FS9 - I keep getting this problem on my other models & the only way so far to overcome it has been to redraw the item & remap it. This time though it ain't working on a couple it items - a toroid for the tyres & a plane surface.
    I've tried converting to a mesh & pressing UVW remove - which it does in Gmax & the FS9 export, but they still do not take the texture when re-mapped.
    Any ideas folks - I'm losing a lot of hair.
    Keith
    Keith,

Remember that gmax will use any size and shape texture but FS needs a "power of 2" texture, and in the correct format.

So be sure that your gmax textures are power of 2, and 24-bit bmp or a jpeg copy. Then copy your 24-bit to FS and convert it to 32-bit with alpha or DXT3 with alpha.

Now, also remember that it is the texture name, not the material name, that FS needs. :-)

Hope this helps.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks Milton, but I don't think that is the problem as the other parts that do work are mapped with the same DXT3.bmp texture, just a different part of it.
    I have however bodged a fix for the tyres by merging & rescaling from another of my aircraft & redrawing the panel that was a plane, with a box & deleting the sides & back...... The vagaries of Microsoft or autocad????
    Anyway a screen shot of it (WIP) is on Britsim.com.
    Keith

I would however be interested in what the problem is. If you would send me the part exported as a gmax file, I'll take a look at it.

You can use the email in my profile if you choose to do hat.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Members who have read this thread: 11