Trago Mills SAH-1/FLS Sprint - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trago Mills SAH-1/FLS Sprint

Sprint-Paints

Interesting Matt -
    Seems two red paint schemes were used at various times on SAHI -
    Also we've shots of G-SCLX and G-BVNU in the same red-top scheme.
    HTH
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)

excellent, these 2 are added to my list now

such a shame only a handful existed, but at the same time in that fact lies their appeal, they're rare birds...

while i wait for Martin to pick a reg....

G-SAHI in scheme #1 is underway! :salute: still a load to do (elevators, reg, aligning items etc...) , but she's getting there piece by piece

Attachment 73569

ok G-SAHI is getting there, did she carry the reg nr. on the upper left/lower right? (i think that's right way round, it's either that or vice versa) i think that's all i've got to do, apart from alter the interior to not be Olive coloured seating....

Attachment 73574

Matt,

Looking very good indeed. Very interesting now to see what it would have looked like in RAF markings. Have asked in a military forum for unused serial numbers that would tie in for the relevant period, so will come back with that when received. As to a code letter, ummm the letter 'M' for some reason springs to mind

The registration should only go under the port wing as to modern CAA requirements. Some aeroplanes in the 50s and 60s did have the letters placed ontop of the starboard wing, but that practice has been curtailed now.

For lots of Trago Mills/Sprint references have a look at:
    http://www.abpic.co.uk/results.php?q...atest&limit=10

Best wishes, (and a big thank you!)

Martin

Matt,

The forum that I want to get into to ask about unallocated RAF serial blocks is down at the moment, so have had a look at the UK serials website and the best I can come up with at present are ZG102-110, ZH149-183 and ZH514-525. The latter falls nicely between two batches of Exported Hawks.

Martin

ok that's G-SAHI (one of its schemes done at least, well it is since this image, aded a vertical bar to the 'G', oh, and the spinner) now back to the RAF one now we have a reg block series.... :salute:

Attachment 73618

Some pretty cool looking colour schemes there.

I emailed dad to ask if he had a copy of the swoosh scheme and here it is, fairly low quality image but then it's a good few years old!

Attachment 73622
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

are the edges gradiented or halftone style? just making some notes.... :salute:

Well it's really a case of what you think is best as they never got further than this, in the drawings that dad did they were all dots with a size gradient round the edges as it seemed to look better than a gradient or a blend.
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Quote Originally Posted by Firebar View Post
    Well it's really a case of what you think is best as they never got further than this, in the drawings that dad did they were all dots with a size gradient round the edges as it seemed to look better than a gradient or a blend.
    i'll see what i can come up with, just about to begin it :salute:

Attachment 73634

still got other side, wings, tailplane Reg etc... to do... but i've gotta say i do like this scheme with halftone edges...

ok gone 3am and i'm still going.....

Attachment 73635

ok.... i think that's it for the -OAGI scheme.....
    Attachment 73662

now back to the Crab Air birds....

Wow looks great!

SOH-CM-2023
    Looking good Matt - can we presume that your eye problem is greatly improved? Hope so.
    Keith

eye problem, next to no factor now... just these check ups with the doc doing my bally head in!

Matt,

What wonderful colour schemes - makes the aeroplane look completely different!!

I went flying yesterday and borrowed from the Flying Club a copy of the CAA's CAP523 on Aircraft Markings, only to find online a more up to date version at:
    http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP523.PDF

Tried to remember what G-SAHI looked like underneath, but found a report on her in the September 1992 issue of Pilot Magazine when she had been transformed into the Sprint. Its surprising to see here how big the letters were. Sorry for the quality of the attachment but my scanner is down dads recovering from over use with our next project!!

The writer of the article Bob Grimstead says in the header that he is 'lost for adjectives to describe the handling of without reservation is the nicest trainer he has even flown'. Another wonderful quote as to a somewhat wonderful aeroplane!!!

Best wishes,

MartinAttachment 73709

The question now is.....'What do we go for next?'
    How about the Beagle Pup? I know there's already a nice Bulldog, but the relationship between the two is comparable to that between a Tempest and a Sea Fury - they just aren't the same.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    How about the Beagle Pup? I know there's already a nice Bulldog, but the relationship between the two is comparable to that between a Tempest and a Sea Fury - they just aren't the same.
    The Beagle Pup is in the list but am afraid to say is not the next project....which by now has been decided on. The reasons being is that we simply do not have enough material to hand on the Pup, apart from a few photographs and a few Pilot magazine articles. I did email the owners club informing them of what we do, but didnt get a reply, but through one of my Facebook friends, have found a Pup based at Popham that we might be able to use for references. Only problem is that is a 400+ mile road trip for me and that is something that is going to have to be mutually arranged in the New Year. If the weather does ever perk up, it might be easier to fly up.

I only flew the Sprint once, but it did remind me of my times in the Pup and the Bulldog. So please watch this space and hopefully sometime next year a Beagle Pup will emerge out of our virtual hangar.

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    The Beagle Pup is in the list but am afraid to say is not the next project....which by now has been decided on. The reasons being is that we simply do not have enough material to hand on the Pup, apart from a few photographs and a few Pilot magazine articles. I did email the owners club informing them of what we do, but didnt get a reply, but through one of my Facebook friends, have found a Pup based at Popham that we might be able to use for references. Only problem is that is a 400+ mile road trip for me and that is something that is going to have to be mutually arranged in the New Year. If the weather does ever perk up, it might be easier to fly up.

I only flew the Sprint once, but it did remind me of my times in the Pup and the Bulldog. So please watch this space and hopefully sometime next year a Beagle Pup will emerge out of our virtual hangar.

Best wishes,

Martin
    Great news. Love the Sprint. First thoughts upon flying it for the first time was, "if the real sprint flew like this model, it has to be one of the nicest flying planes ever built." I am anxiously awaiting repaints. Will try and wait patiently for Beagle Pup.

Thanks to the team that comes up with these wonderful aircraft.

Barry

Thanks for the reply. I'll settle for the Sprint for now, but I'll be waiting for the Pup.

Thanks for the reply. I'll settle for the Sprint for now, but I'll be waiting for the Pup.
    I have to say that it might be a little while before the Pup is started. What with the current project still in the research stage (I've found a 250+ page technical manual, 2 different sets of Pilots Notes (interesting?) and a few obscure magazine articles so far) and then after that some 500+ hours in the building and developing of the aeroplane, it might not be until after Christmas that we think about another model.

That is, if the Pup is the next project. Its all as said before down to trying to make it as authentic as possible and so we do need a real aeroplane as a reference for the build. Popham is a little too East for my liking and so will be asking the LAA and the Owners Club again to see if there is one nearer. If this isn't possible, then will follow up the kind leads that we have already. Travelling around the UK in the Winter Months is not in my interests as being fun!

But, it is a strong contender for being built, as to when we don't possibly know.

Best wishes,

Martin

This is the one I used to fly about 20 years ago:

Attachment 73987

I don't know if it is still airworthy or if it even still exists. I wish I could have owned it, but all I could do was rent it.

Martin, I take your point about travelling. I used to live near "Tavvy", and for the rest of the world anything beyond about Exeter was too remote.

I appreciate all that you say about the problems with creating a Pup - there can't have been all that many of them around even when new. it was a nice little aeroplane though, as the pic above shows. I came across this site the other day, where you might get an answer or two: http://www.pprune.org/ I'll just hang on until you can manage it.

David

Members who have read this thread: 28