Ok, everyone please grab a seat...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, everyone please grab a seat...

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there

Ok, everyone please grab a seat...

Support for FSX Has Come to an End

link to the information here
    Its AVSIM, but please read

Best regards

Prowler

Gave me a fright there, thought you meant Razbam were getting out of FSX

Craig
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Who actually cares? The "support" MS gave to FSX was laughable at best, and entirely useless at worst.

It's truly a case of "Much ado about nothing..."
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Sure, most of what we consider support will not be missed but what about product activation when you re-install FSX? What I get from the AVSIM news update is that MS will continue to support it but for how long? When I buy a new PC let's say 5 years from now, P3D might be the only option if FSX product activation is no longer supported.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Sure, most of what we consider support will not be missed but what about product activation when you re-install FSX? What I get from the AVSIM news update is that MS will continue to support it but for how long? When I buy a new PC let's say 5 years from now, P3D might be the only option if FSX product activation is no longer supported.
    I'm sure there will be a way around the activation, if that day comes.

FSX is an old and niche software, this was very predictable. Every MS product in the past has had the same fate.

Charter Member 2011
    theres been a workaround for the activation since FSX came out .... so not exactly much need to jump onto the rumor and worry bus really
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

still not ezactly fun though.. makes things just a little harder
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There is always P3D, but don't enjoy yourselves using it, it is NOT for entertainment purposes.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    There is always P3D, but don't enjoy yourselves using it, it is NOT for entertainment purposes.

I was thinking on this yesterday, lol... I love flying. I love learning to fly. I love simming. Will I be arrested? If I like my work, is that entertainment? Is an actual fighter pilot job a form of Entertainment? What if a real world flight instructor really loves his job, so much so that its almost pure entertainment for him rather then like that of a job?

lol...
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    We have Prepar3D. Things are ok. FSX was abandoned years ago already, so why be worried now. Once MS would launch a sim, they usually cut off any further work on it, basically abandoning it, except for purchasing customers, some basic customer service. But updating the product line and getting rid of bugs was perhaps done with one, maybe 2 updates and that was it.

P3D has their latest new version, Build 1.4. No updates needed. New shader technologies. Uses all the FS2004 and FSX file systems and addons. A very very nice replacement and its in active, continuous development, constantly being polished and improved, its performance always being enhanced...

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Bill, I agree. To be honest, I have never used Microsoft for a single support issue with FS going back to my first use of the platform in FS5. Most of us have a good bit of working knowledge of sim issues or can tap a very broad network of people online to sort through problems if need be. I still think FSX has a lot of life left in it to serve for years to come but the P3D platform is another option which I think will become cheaper/more accessible as time goes on. IMO, this move by MS is a non-issue.

Reactivation is my only concern as I believe the support ended when Phil Taylor left MS. Although there are "alternative" methods to activate FsXA, they are not legitimate and that would worry many people.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Reactivation is my only concern as I believe the support ended when Phil Taylor left MS. Although there are "alternative" methods to activate FsXA, they are not legitimate and that would worry many people.
    You are legally allowed (although it is hazy) to backup your software. This includes altering .exe files to not require original discs. In other words. -- if you own FS X, there is no problem in using No-CD .exe's.

Besides that-- did FSX ever use online activation? I cannot recall. If not, all the checking is done on the user end and requires no validation from an external server.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningJester View Post
    You are legally allowed (although it is hazy) to backup your software. This includes altering .exe files to not require original discs. In other words. -- if you own FS X, there is no problem in using No-CD .exe's.

Besides that-- did FSX ever use online activation? I cannot recall. If not, all the checking is done on the user end and requires no validation from an external server.
    FsX doesn't require any disk to run and on-line activation is required.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

FsX doesn't require any disk to run and on-line activation is required.

someone is going to have to give installing a test in a few weeks and see if you can still activate it..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    someone is going to have to give installing a test in a few weeks and see if you can still activate it..
    You volunteering?
    SYSTEM :

Activation is a licencing issue, not a support issue. The process of activating Microsoft products isn't going away right now and FSX is just an entry in their database.

Perhaps now that they are distancing themselves from flight sims they will allow Lockheed to sell P3D as a consumer entertainment product.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
    Activation is a licencing issue, not a support issue. The process of activating Microsoft products isn't going away right now and FSX is just an entry in their database.

Perhaps now that they are distancing themselves from flight sims they will allow Lockheed to sell P3D as a consumer entertainment product.
    If you read the forums there have been a number of cases where FsX re-activation has been an issue. This has been cited as MS no longer supports FsX. I hope that MS will see this as a blunder and will continue to activate or re-activate FsX as and when required.
    SYSTEM :

If you read the forums there have been a number of cases where FsX re-activation has been an issue. This has been cited as MS no longer supports FsX. I hope that MS will see this as a blunder and will continue to activate or re-activate FsX as and when required.
    All the hashing aside, Microsoft could also release new .EXE files for all involved, and pertinent to the installation of FSX, SP1/2, Acceleration to eliminate the activation issue once and for all.
    If they are if fact abandoning it all together, this way should be the best way for them to close the door.

Master of Disaster
    I hope FSX dies a very painful death! I won't miss it for a second.......I love P3D!!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Potential Activation issues aside: no need for me to grab a seat

For me, MS "support" on FSX stopped after they released SP2 and Accelleration.
    But I guess it boils down to how you define "support".

With the announcement of Flight, it was clear that the "support" of the whole MSFS product line had ended forever.
    For me, this formal announcement by MS has no relevance whatsoever; what MS calls "support" on FSX since SP2/Accel was a joke at best.

Rob

Just pulled all this up which is current as of today:

Frequently asked questions about how to activate Microsoft Games for Windows, Streets and Trips, and Mappoint
    Article ID: 927007 - View products that this article applies to.

INTRODUCTION
    This article lists the frequently asked questions about how to activate Microsoft Games for Windows, Streets and Trips, and Mappoint.
    Back to the top | Give Feedback
    More information

Q1: What is Microsoft Product Activation?

A1: Microsoft Product Activation tries to reduce counterfeit software, and to make sure that Microsoft customers receive the software quality that they expect. After you activate the software product, a specific product key is assigned to the computer hardware on which you installed the product. After this product key is assigned, you cannot use the same product key to activate the product on other computers. Product Activation is required to use the product in full feature mode. If you choose not to activate the product, you can use the product only in a reduced trial mode. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    925723 You receive an activation message after you play Flight Simulator X for 30 minutes

Q2: What is the benefit of using Microsoft Product Activation?

A2: Microsoft Product Activation enables you to start and use the product without using the disc.

Q3: What information is collected, processed, or transmitted during the activation process?

A3: When you activate the software product, the product key information is sent to Microsoft together with a hardware hash. The hardware hash is a non-unique number that is generated by using the computer's hardware configuration. The hardware hash does not represent any personal information or information about the product. The hardware hash cannot be used to determine the make or the model of the computer. Additionally, the hardware hash cannot be backward-calculated to determine the raw computer information. In addition to standard computer information, some additional language settings are collected. This information is not used to identify you. The information is used only to confirm that you have a licensed copy of the product, and to aggregate the information for statistical analysis.

Q4: How many times can I activate the product?

A4: There is no limit to the number of times that you can activate the software product on the same computer. For example, you can remove and install or activate the product any number of times. An additional activation is provided so that you can remove and install the product on the same computer or on a different computer. See the Microsoft Software License Terms for more information. The Microsoft Software License Terms are located in the game folder.

Q5: How can I tell whether my software has already been activated?

A5: If the product has not been activated, the multiplayer capabilities in the game are not available.
    Note Some games that are only multiplayer games do not let you start the game until you activate it.

Q6: Can I install the product on more than one computer?

A6: Please refer to the End-User Agreement (Microsoft Software License Terms) for more information about how many computers you can install the product on. The End-User Agreement is located in the product folder or on the product DVD.

Q7: How do I activate my Microsoft product for Windows?

A7: When you start the product for the first time, you are prompted to click Activate now or to click Activate later. If you click Activate now, you must enter the product key. You can run the product without activating it for as long as you want. If you do not to activate the product, the product will run in the reduced functionality mode. Additionally, some features, such as the multiplayer feature, will be unavailable in the product. To continue using all the features of the product, you must activate the product.

To activate the product, follow these steps:
    Click Activate now, and then click Next.
    Type the product key, and then click Next.

Note Do not lose the product key. Keep the packaging, or note the number. Keep the number information in a safe location.
    The Activation Wizard runs automatically. The Activation Wizard gives you the following options to continue:
    Activate by using the Internet

The Activation Wizard automatically contacts the Microsoft licensing servers through your Internet connection. When you activate the product by using the Internet, the product key is sent to Microsoft through an encrypted transfer. If you decide to activate the product through the Internet and you are not already connected, the wizard alerts you that there is no connection.

Activate by using the telephone
    You can telephone an Activation Center to obtain the help of a customer service representative and activate the product. Telephone activation might take longer than activation through the Internet. You should be at the computer when you call. Additionally, you should have your software product key. When you select this option, the Activation Wizard generates an Installation ID. You musy have this Installation ID to activate the product by telephone.

Important When you telephone the Activation Center, you are prompted to read the Installation ID numbers. If you have problems following the guidelines over the telephone, do not hang up. Wait until you receive an option for transfer. Say “transfer me.” You will be redirected to speak with the customer service representative.

Note Activation Center numbers are not listed in this article because telephone contact numbers vary by license and also by country or region. The Activation Wizard gives you the number to telephone the Activation Center.

If the activation is successful, you receive the following message:
    You have successfully activated Microsoft <product title> on this computer.
    Next steps
    If you need more help, visit the Microsoft Customer Support Services Web site to find other solutions. This Web site provides the following services:

Microsoft Answers(http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...default.aspx): Interact with peers and with Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs).
    Solution Centers (http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub): View product-specific frequently asked questions (FAQ) and support highlights.
    Searchable Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1): Search technical support information and self-help tools for Microsoft products.
    Other Support Options (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=csshome): Use the Web to ask a question, to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services, or to provide feedback.

Properties
    Article ID: 927007 - Last Review: September 18, 2012 - Revision: 15.0
    Applies to

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe
    Microsoft Flight Simulator X Standard
    Microsoft Age of Empires III
    Microsoft Age of Empires III : The WarChiefs
    Microsoft Dungeon Siege II
    Fable: The Lost Chapters PC
    Microsoft Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties
    Microsoft Flight Simulator X Acceleration Expansion Pack
    Microsoft Flight Simulator X Service Pack 1
    Microsoft Gears of War (PC)
    Microsoft Halo 2 for Windows Vista
    Microsoft Shadowrun (PC)
    Microsoft Viva Pinata (PC)
    Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2
    Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: African Adventure
    Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Dino Danger
    Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Endangered Species
    Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Marine Mania
    Microsoft Zoo Tycoon 2: Ultimate Collection
    Microsoft MapPoint 2009 North America
    Microsoft MapPoint 2009 North America with GPS Locator
    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2009
    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2009 with GPS Locator
    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010
    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010 GPS Locator
    Microsoft MapPoint 2011
    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2011
    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2011 GPS Locator
    Microsoft Fable III for PC

And:

7.DOCUMENTATION.
    Any person that has valid access to your computer or internal network may copy and use the documentation for your internal, reference purposes.

8.TRANSFER.
    BACKUP COPY. You may make one backup copy of the software. You may use it only to reinstall the software.

9. TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
    You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.

The latter was my main concern as I will have a new system soon. One of my friends reported just this evening that he uninstalled FSX from one system to another and the activation went through as normal. So in summary, for at least a while I think we're okay.

"he uninstalled FSX from one system to another" - what does that mean? He uninstalled FSX on one PC and installed it on another? When you uninstall FSX does the uninstaller notify Microsoft? What if you are offline? How does Microsoft determine whether you have 1, 2, ... n copies of FSX installed, on 1, 2, ... n machines?

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    "he uninstalled FSX from one system to another" - what does that mean? He uninstalled FSX on one PC and installed it on another? When you uninstall FSX does the uninstaller notify Microsoft? What if you are offline? How does Microsoft determine whether you have 1, 2, ... n copies of FSX installed, on 1, 2, ... n machines?
    My apologies, I did not clarify, yes, two different computers. It was a planned migration to a new computer which happened the same day as the announcement by MS and there were no issues. As they state, you can install FSX but to get the multi-player functionality it has to be activated. My guess is that there is some sort of "call home" function in the uninstall just as there is the install. From the list shown, it seems there are a number of dated software packages that they have discontinued support on but still activate online or by phone.

Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    I hope FSX dies a very painful death! I won't miss it for a second.......I love P3D!!

Riiiight... If there was no FSX, there would be no P3D, simple as that. I love FSX, great sim, has always performed well for me.

I'll get my coat.

Members who have read this thread: 131