USS Oriskany SCB-27C/125A - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Oriskany SCB-27C/125A

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    I use sketchup to create my Royal Navy carriers...animation is a problem but all are moving and have decks you can land on (I can't release the Invincible class for general use yet I have used a texture created by another developer and am waiting on permission to include it in my models)

Attachment 72540Attachment 72541

There's been a few people volunteering to update the Oriskany for FSX, but if nothing comes to fruition I could update, add a hard deck and get it moving. Or I could look at another Essex class...won't be as good as a GMax/Studio Max version with all the whistles and bells but would do in the absence of anything else.
    Yes please.

Of course only Michael could answer the question, but I do have some vague memory that he was working on Qriskany and the like, which was never to the point that the Leyte etc got. I do use those for testing and development of WWII and Korean era naval aircraft, even did some of the original arrested landings of the STOOF series on Leyte.

T

sketchup conversion is easy for the model.a variety of methods exist. once exported to 3ds they can be imported into gmax or 3dsmax easy .
    stripping colored materials and replacing with maps and uv mapping them is the time consuming part, having to create maps from scratch using the uv layouts.
    . animations would require isolating the polys and elements and then animating
    - a hard deck and hangar deck takes only a few minutes- make a rectangle and attach a platform attribute and dont forget nocrash as well for the rest of the model
    - export as a mdl and it can be pilotable or ai using some basic files - librarycreator can turn it into a bgl for those wishing scenery

then theres the greebling and detailing that can fussed over until you have burned out on the whole project, but thats another story...

Quote Originally Posted by sepp666 View Post
    I hope that the Russian Carrier Kiev could get finished too? Look: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...v-MiG-25-Kikka

Regards
    I've got a Kiev class sitting on my hard drive - completed and textured. However it's not optimised for FSX so its a massive frame rate hog. I need to look at cutting down the details to make it a little more "user friendly" - though other than heli ops (or unless there is a Yak-38 model out there) not sure how interested peops would be in it.

It's also waaaaaay down the list of my priorities as I need to finish the Invincible class (redo the textures if permission does not come through, update and test Invincible 1982 variant with Sea Dart launcher)...I got distracted with the UKMIL GR9 and Just flight FRS Mk1

I also need to finish my QE class, get started again on CVA-01 (a little project for myself), go to work, have time with the kids, get time to actually fly something instead of building things yadda yadda...i'm sure you all have the same.

No one seems to have picked up doing something with the Mighty 'O' so i'll start on it tonight. It'll be an 'austere' mod as i'm more into Royal Navy ships than US...unless it takes an F-4 then I can be persuaded.

I'll do a basic texture update, harden the deck, stick some static A-4s on it and get it moving in the water...maybe add attachpoints for arrestor gear, catapult ....then i'll zip it up for people to test (I don't use ai carriers so someone else can check that).

It won't be great, or accurate but it'll be quick to do and give folks something to use. Most of the stuff I produce is for my own benefit where there's a missing model or scenery object i'd like in my FSX world - hence its normally not to the same standard as other model developers as it's only for my needs, and i'm usually not interested in giving something away i've spent long hours on only to have "rivet counters" who feel the need to criticize freeware models bemoan what's not right about it. My belief is if you don't like something that someone else has sweated hours developing and given away for free - do it yourself and stop moaning....that's why I create my own stuff

G

Sounds good. Hope you'll consider releasing the CVA-01 at some stage, had been planing on tackling it myself after I'm done with the Collosus/Majestic class.

Craig
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

I've got a Kiev class sitting on my hard drive - completed and textured. However it's not optimised for FSX so its a massive frame rate hog. I need to look at cutting down the details to make it a little more "user friendly" - though other than heli ops (or unless there is a Yak-38 model out there) not sure how interested peops would be in it.
    G
    These are nice news for me, i like to have that Kiev! Because of the interresting Story that the Kiev got - today it's a hotel at China --> Look at the pictures on this site:http://www.ftd.de/luxus/reise/:flugz...imgId=60092265 ...

It´s on german but maybe google gives a good translation - http://www.realfictionfilme.de/filme...eren/index.php
    This is a very nice TV-Doku about the end of the soviet area and the end of a ship and what happend to the people which were on this ship.

Could you please show some screenshots of it.

Regards Sepp

Any updates on getting this old girl in the sim?:salute:

Slowly getting there. Flight deck has been re textured, working on some textures for the island. Travelling again with work next week so probably a few days before I get to work on the model again. I'll try and post some pictures at the end of the week.

As for the Kiev i'll post some screenshots of that too later this week.

G

Icon5

Just an FYI it's not dead...just slow going. Been working on trying to create a new set of flight deck textures for HMS Invincible so Mighty 'O' has been on the back burner. Re-texturing at the moment, added a platform through MCX and have tested the model in FSX. Still have some rogue materials on the flight deck causing crashes on deck so removing them to have a smooth platform to land on....also some issues around the position of the attachpoints for arrestor gear and catapults but i'll sort that once i've finished updating the model.

Looking for comments on the colour as i'm only going with images i've found on google...too blue?

Attachment 73757

Sooo glad Mark Harper has released Kiev and I don't have to continue with that model....it's was becoming an exercise in frustration!!

Looking very nice indeed , as for the colour it might be a little to blue by compare to the photos i have here , i would have thought it would be very much the same measure grey used on the all US Naval ships , many photo's show different tones of grey - that would due to the print and the light and the time of day .

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

For standard USN "Haze Gray" a shade using the RGB values of 120, 127 and 135 looks just about right, on my monitor at least. In real life the paint weathers out to a lighter shade. Here's a little color chip I worked up just to put my two cents in.

The Oriskany is looking VERY good indeed!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll update the textures and post some new pictures. Anyone got some decent pictures of the flight deck? I.e the Alaskan highways on the port side?

I do have photos of every Essex class from the book Aircraft Carriers of the US Navy but detail would difficult to interpret , i wonder about the Intrepid in NY , maybe could information from the museum ?
    I have many other books but from memory very few close ups . <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Intrepid is quite weathered now. The haze grey is probably a bit less blue, and in outdoor light, at sea, somewhat less dark. I do remember being aboard Oriskany sometime in the mid 60's for a very brief underway period.

Keep up the great work! T

I'm off on my hols for the next week so to stop this thread dying out I thought i'd let you see my progress so far - here's some shots of USS Oriskany in FSX

Attachment 73904Attachment 73905Attachment 73906Attachment 73907

Model is still static at the moment while I test in FSX to resolve some minor texture issues, and I've taken the advice of people on this thread and changed the colour to try and match US Navy Haze Grey.

Deck is landable, though it's been a few months since i've done any DLP so back to the dummy deck at Yeovilton for some practice I think!!

Once i've got back from hols, worked out the texture issues and attempted to add catapult and arrestor attachpoints v 0.1 of this model should be ready for people to test before the end of the month. I'd like to do more but I really need to get back to working on the Invincible class as someone has very kindly created a new texture set for this. :salute:

Again the Oriskany will be very basic - nowhere near the other guys who create fully animated ships...but it should fill a gap.
    I may come back again and do a V0.2 update adding more aircraft and deck crew at a later date.

Cheers
    G

Quote Originally Posted by airattackimages View Post
    Awesome! Can't wait! Next I need a decent F-4
    And wouldn't it be nice if we eventually had a FSX USS Coral Sea or Midway for you to fly that F-4 off of.

Ahh, never realized the F-4 didn't fly off the Oriskany. But yes, I'd love to see a Midway.

Can't wait to fly the virtavia skyhawk model from her! That invincible class carrier looks stunning too, perfect for the Razbam Gr7/9 coming out soon we hope!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by airattackimages View Post
    Ahh, never realized the F-4 didn't fly off the Oriskany. But yes, I'd love to see a Midway.
    That's because the catapults did not have enough ummph to launch the F-4's. I was on the USS Hancock and Bonnie Dick.

But what is odd is that the Hancock would launch the A3 Sky warriors (Whales). GO figure. Maybe the F4 was heavier then the Whale.

Quote Originally Posted by richoday View Post
    That's because the catapults did not have enough ummph to launch the F-4's. I was on the USS Hancock and Bonnie Dick.

But what is odd is that the Hancock would launch the A3 Sky warriors (Whales). GO figure. Maybe the F4 was heavier then the Whale.
    A quick scwizz showed the A3 at 39,40lb empty and full load at 82,000lb , were as the Phantom is at 28,000lb empty at 60,000lb full load , it would be the wing loading compared to the lack on the F4 .... and heck they had one hell of a fighter with the Crusader

I have a photo showing the USS Midway with NINE! A3 s parked on the deck .. I can't see the carrier for Skywarriors .... somewhere here i have a photo with five on an Essex .

Another great photo showing CVN-65 berthed and beside CV 34 beside the Hancock CV19 obviously 1976/77 when she was stricken and berthed beside her the Coral Sea CV43 .

I'm off on my hols for the next week so to stop this thread dying out I thought i'd let you see my progress so far - here's some shots of USS Oriskany in FSX

Attachment 73904Attachment 73905Attachment 73906Attachment 73907

G
    A thought .. How about a Bruce Fitzgerald type setup just for the multiplayer , one has to control the ship .. , just think we'd have that deck a hustling

Looking Great G

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    I have a photo showing the USS Midway with NINE! A3 s parked on the deck of the USS Midway .. I can't see the carrier for Skywarriors
    Ian, post that pic here if you have it as a jpg or bmp file, I'd like to see it. Has to be a CQ evolution or maybe a VAH/VAQ squadron cross-decking from another ship. Some of my F-8 shipmates would like to see it, we all like old jets.

Here we go Tarps , scow'd the land for this book back in 1987 , no internet back then , working on a 1/144 scale RC model - least put on hold , like the Essex class the Midways are the real traditional carrier .... i dig up that photo of four together as well for interests sake .

This photo was taken in 1961 and they all appear to carry the NE tail code

Members who have read this thread: 172