Some Dora-9 Progress Shots - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Some Dora-9 Progress Shots

Back when it was at Chaplain @Falcon field the data plate said TA 152.... Of course that was in 1986, a time I sometimes remember better than 10 mins ago.... If you say it is a Dora 9-13, I am sure you are correct.

To fly or not to fly isle one of the most dependable piton ponders ever, have puked dozens of engines, not a big deal in a four holer a point of contention between the museum and warbird crowd. Sadly they get crashed now and then, the production rate of new ones being slower than the loss rate. Even when new, with military trained pilots, the operational loss rate was high. My DC6 friends flying the R2800, arguably the most dependable piston pounder ever, have puked dozens of engines. not a big deal in a four holer, but in a single engine aircraft a cause for some excitement.

FS plays an important part in preserving a dynamic history of these planes!

T

Tom, I'm affraid your memory is superb. The Champlin Fighter Museum did have the forward end off of a Ta 152 (engine and cowl) on display as well. I'm not sure where that has ended up since.

Although I'm sure most have already seen it, this is the video that was posted to Youtube quite a while back, of an engine start that was performed with the Fw 190D-13 sometime in the 80's/90's, at the Champlin Fighter Museum (many years prior to its recent ground-up restoration). Notice how similar all of the sounds are to that of a DB-powered Me-109 (the long-nose Fw 190's being of course powered by inline Jumo engines). The only (and key) item missing from the aircraft (both before and after the restoration), is the complex Kommandogerät, which kept it from having engine runs (note in the video all they were able to do with it was start it and run it at idle), and keeps it of course from flying (though its rarity is usually the only item noted for it being ground-bound). The Flying Heritage Collection's airworthy, and flown, original Fw 190A-5 does have a fully restored operational Kommandogerät.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5LBUVS1T8

For those interested, here are some unique photos of the only remaining complete Ta 152 (Ta 152 H-0), stored at the National Air and Space Museum (unfortunately the paint that you see is a mixture of different paint applications, the latest being from 1947). Note that much of the entire tail (aft of the fuselage plug) is made of wood, and as a result some easy to see preservation methods have had to be taken.

http://www.thomasgenth.de/html/tank_ta_152_h-0.html
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

I almost wonder if at some point they had the other nose on the plane, (during a restoration stage) as I remember the spinner being more pointed. I remember examining this part of the plane rather closely because of the unusual annular radiator and almost radial engine like cowling on a V12. The paint job may have been a bit different as well, just light gray?

Don't ask me what day today is (here in japan or anywhere else....) Wonder if I took any photos that day? Remember film, I was lugging around a 6x6 Hasselblad in those days, I know I took photos at Pima Air Museum.

T

Looks amazing
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Sundog, airplanes include the D-9, D-11, D-13, Ta152H-0 and H-1.
    Matthias, would it be an option to release the Ta-152C as a paid-for upgrade? Even if it was not used operationally, it would be interesting to have the collection of 190’s that actually flew in more than prototype form complete.

airplanes include the D-9, D-11, D-13, Ta152H-0 and H-1.
    I guess this makes my entire year...

Best wishes
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

@ Bomber: John, thanks much for the additional snippets! I knew that the D-13 was newly being restored but wasn't fully aware that it's allready finished and back on display.
    From the looks of it they did an exceptional job with this restoration, fixing the partial mess the first restoration left after the plane had been badly vandalized when it was stored on a meadow somewhere on the country side during the 60th. Good to hear also that it got it's native wings back.
    Too bad they don't have the Motorbediengerät (what the item is called that would be the Kommandogerät on BMW801-equipped machines). Seems close to impossible to get that thing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Matthias, would it be an option to release the Ta-152C as a paid-for upgrade? Even if it was not used operationally, it would be interesting to have the collection of 190’s that actually flew in more than prototype form complete.
    Stickshaker, the challenge is this:
    Two aircraft are known to have been delivered to JG301, no photos exist, no combat records are known and it appears unlikely that they saw any use at all. Photos do exist of test aircraft though in various stages of "alikeness" to serial standards.
    Mainteneance and pilot manuals as well as spare part lists exist only in snippets making it challenging to recreate the cockpit and some of the systems.
    Test reports are incomplete either.
    While each of the above mentioned points could be overcome by good measure and educated guesswork, in the summary it may not be enough to make it a Classics Hangar aircraft. However, final word is not spoken on the matter but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    What might make me reconsidere is the fact that this one would be a truely outstanding aircraft at low to medium altitudes that would give any allied fighter a run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Personally I think the D-9 is the best looking of the late model FW-190s. It is nicely stretched, which gives it very smooth lines, but still has something of the the bulky aggressive look of the earlier model.

Cheers,
    Huub
    The D-11 ain't too shabby either!

Here's some unedited D-11 WIP shots.
    It's very similar to the D-13 except armament and the lower panel that holds the inner geardoors which are somewhat simplified on the D-13.

D-11 changes over the D-9:

- New engine Jumo213F
    - larger, oval shaped supercharger air intake
    - upper nose guns removed, thus more streamlined cowling.
    - Mk108 cannons added to the outer wings.

This one is shown with the old canopy.

Same aircraft with late style canopy.

Together with the D-9

Capture of the larger air intake.

Note undersurfaces partially unpainted bare metal as seen on a number of late war aircraft.
    Mathias

BTW, the eagle-eyed will have noticed that the right cooling flap at heigth of the exhaust stack is always fixed in the flush position.
    They found out that this flap caused turbulences that led fumes into the intake effectively reducing the aircraft's critical altitude.
    Keeping the flap flush increased critical altitude by a couple hundred meters.
    Mathias

That's a very cool fact Mathias. BTW, each time you post new shots, it looks better. This is going to be AWESOME!

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    @ What might make me reconsidere is the fact that this one would be a truely outstanding aircraft at low to medium altitudes that would give any allied fighter a run for the money.
    Matthias, that is exactly why I am interested in the -C. And with its heavy firepower it would have been a good bomber destroyer also. But I completely understand your reasoning for possibly not including it. You have to draw the line somewhere.

For customer who did pre-order of Dora, will be free gift like this:

;-))))))
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Master of Disaster
    I WANT TO FLY IT!! I'd like to find some of those panzer slippers also! LOL
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    For customer who did pre-order of Dora, will be free gift like this:

;-))))))
    LMAO! Now that's cool! :-)
    Mathias

Lol, double "wool'ed" armor The PzKfW VI "Wool Tiger"

Beautiful screenshots and great model. Congratulations!

Lucas

Some shots of a more widely known D-11:

Mathias

:salute:

just wonderful...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Now we just need some AI 262's to cover.

Jimmy Jillickers , that really looks the part ...... now another question ... Is that good New Zealand Wool ?, that's what you call WPC's <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Some WIP shots of the new D-9 office in different lighting conditions.

Mathias

Awesome images, Mathias!
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Have a question.....will the antenna that streches from tail to canopy slack up when it opens on the bubbled type canopy? I know the early ones had a roller wheel but the late buble ones did not and it drooped when the canopy opened.

Charter Member 2011
    and whats the reason they put notes round the speedo ?
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Very impressive lighting Mathias!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    and whats the reason they put notes round the speedo ?
    Max allowed IAS at certain altitude, for instance at 5 kilometers altitude you should not exceed 700 kph indicated airspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    Have a question.....will the antenna that streches from tail to canopy slack up when it opens on the bubbled type canopy? I know the early ones had a roller wheel but the late buble ones did not and it drooped when the canopy opened.
    Yes, it's animated.
    Difficult to capture in a screenshot but here it is:

Mathias

Members who have read this thread: 187