RAZBAM proudly presents: The AV-8B Harrier II Plus for FSX - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: RAZBAM proudly presents: The AV-8B Harrier II Plus for FSX

As a purchaser, I have the right to write a criticism on the product which I buy.
    Sorry, I'm not trying to trash your product, but after having read all the last posts, I was to react.
    I am clearly disappointed by this aircraft.
    Even if I am impressed by the quality of the vc or the external model which is quite simply incredible.
    The added-value of this aircraft is her v/STOL capacity .
    However in this case, the v/STOL process is not correctly simulated.
    In term of comparison, the new f-35B is a pure must have.
    I am thus really surprise when I read that this process is impossible to implement in FSX.

I just want to clarify that I never said that it is impossible. I said that FSX does not SUPPORT vectorial thrust.

My last post on the Raz Harrier. My vtol OCD has run its course and Its exhausted me.

Workaround. I spent all my time approx 4 hrs total trying to come up with a repeatable method of going from ff to stol to vtol. Never was able to in a way I felt confortable with so I started trying everything.
    My latest attempts before I gave up involved flying level,approx 300 ft, 130ish on the speed,engaging the ap and about 1/4 mile out, hit alt hold. Then using my slider on my x52 throttle, added in nozzle to 80ish. 80-85

It seemed promising as it eliminated the nose up. Hover, even flying on fumes, [btw has anyone ever ran outta gas?] the Harrier will start decending and often even full power cannot stop it. The times it does, I often ended up in a yo yo throttle fest. The engine has slooooow spool up so getting behind the power curve kills ya. Stay ahead of it turns you into a balloon. So maybe a solution is to tie in autopilot functions to stabilize the aircraft ala f-35. The user then can control the power,pitch roll ect via the ap. But rather than punching screen buttons or arrow,use keystrokes tied into your hotas such as the trim hat to give you the impression of tactile input. Maybe some of you out there can pursue the AP option or some creative cfg tweaks.

Ok Ive given my 40 bucks+ worth of input. Im a dot.:cost1:

Hi Mathieu !

I completely agree with you about the right to criticize. I think that the debate that would be led about this add-on is killed by the people that think that each question is a dishonnest agression and, on the other hand, by the opposite people that use the same question as an opportunity to promote the Harrier they like.

But I don't think that someone here wrote that VTOL was impossible to implement. On the contrary, Razbam have make an attempt to implement it on a most convincing manner than in the other add-ons, and I think it's impossible to say now that he doesn't succeed : it needs a deeper analyse that what we've had here. But on this particular point, this Harriers hovers. The fact that it is most challenging than with other Harriers is, IMHO, a good point. And it's more rewarding if you succeed.

This video is by Razbam himself and will show you what is, imo, the most honest representation of the VTOL ability of his Harrier. And the people that will tell you that it requires very particular skills are mostly overestimating themselves, it has taken me one or two hours doing the same on The Clemenceau, which is smaller and slower, the main difficulty being to make a new start after every crash (the most time consuming problem is to make a fuel load to be light enough, I think a good idea would be to include a kind of “vertical landing practice payload” on the load manager).

As you may have seen, I've questions about the fact that the patch have adressed all the issues, especially on the transition between level flight and vertical flight, and I've other questions about choices made for the implementation of VTOL, which sometimes gives a robotic feeling. You can see partially those problems in the video too : the overcompensation, and some movements that seems too "mechanical" to me. I wonder myself if some behaviors are normal, especially when hovering (considering that my question about spin had finally received an answer that I find acceptable) But that doesn't mean that it is impossible to fly, or that there are other Harriers that are definitely better. My own opinion is that this Harrier is the most satisfying I've had to date, since the patch, of course : the fact is that I've had more fun flying and trying to handle it, than with some past planes I bought that I could hover in 5 minutes, with full load...

What is coming in the Mk-2 upgrade: Air Refueling.

does it work without a tanker?? :isadizzy:

Blog Entries
    That should work well with the TacPack tankers.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by cortomalteseit View Post
    does it work without a tanker?? :isadizzy:
    Unfortunately, yes. It works in free flight and there are no working free flight air refueling tankers. But you can still practice air refueling and get fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    That should work well with the TacPack tankers.

Ian.
    When the TP allows you to refuel non-VRS models, should be shortly. In the mean time this at least prides a way to get some juice to the Pegasus.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Just a heads up. We are including a KC-130 tanker in the upgrade package. It will be ready and on station when you need fuel for your aircraft.
    It can be used on free flight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    When the TP allows you to refuel non-VRS models, should be shortly. In the mean time this at least prides a way to get some juice to the Pegasus.
    You only need a tanker flying steadily and with the drogue chute out. The air refueling system works independently. But you have to keep the aircraft steady or you won't get any fuel.

Now the loadout manager has the Minimum Fuel option. It gives you room to put ordnance and do a VTOL if you want. Of course you will have to top the tanks right after you are airborne.

Zeus, exactly with the current beta of TP. I have added most of my AI boom and drogue tankers (still need a KC-130) but until they release the SDK, only the VRS Super Bug can actually receive fuel at this time. Once your update is released, I can spawn a tanker anywhere, and then work the Harrier into the basket.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Zeus, exactly with the current beta of TP. I have added most of my AI boom and drogue tankers (still need a KC-130) but until they release the SDK, only the VRS Super Bug can actually receive fuel at this time. Once your update is released, I can spawn a tanker anywhere, and then work the Harrier into the basket.
    Yes. It works with any AI Tanker or somebody flying a tanker if in MP.
    I'm trying to add an Air Refueling Package. It will spawn the KC-130 at a given location and make it fly in a 20x40 nm race track pattern. No joy at this time, since I've been working on it for a day only. I'm not sure if it will enter the upgrade, since it depends on time availability. I have other stuff that must be finished before I can wrap things up and so little time.

I've been considering this aircraft, but have one concern; why does the velocity vector act so jumpy (from what I've seen in videos). It isn't fluid at all.

All the best, Diego

Quote Originally Posted by MenendezDiego View Post
    I've been considering this aircraft, but have one concern; why does the velocity vector act so jumpy (from what I've seen in videos). It isn't fluid at all.

All the best, Diego
    I'm sorry, if you could show me which video so I can reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS67 View Post
    I'm sorry, if you could show me which video so I can reply.
    Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxNLSlEX8io

I suspected as much. That's not a velocity vector (or flight path marker). It is called the Vertical Flight Path marker, it provides climb and dive angle. Below 60 knots it provides vertical speed in feet per minute when doing a VTOL. That's why it is "jumpy" The harrier HUD have several modes with specific symbols. You are watching the VSTOL mode.

I suspected as much. That's not a velocity vector (or flight path marker). It is called the Vertical Flight Path marker, it provides climb and dive angle. Below 60 knots it provides vertical speed in feet per minute when doing a VTOL. That's why it is "jumpy" The harrier HUD have several modes with specific symbols. You are watching the VSTOL mode.
    Thanks for the reply. Another thing I have noticed is the HUDs horizon bar doesn't seem to be too reliable. It doesn't seem to stay on the horizon in many of the videos I have seen. Has this been fixed?

Thanks for the reply. Another thing I have noticed is the HUDs horizon bar doesn't seem to be too reliable. It doesn't seem to stay on the horizon in many of the videos I have seen. Has this been fixed?
    Yes. Most of those videos were made while the aircraft was on development. The newer ones show the release version.

Is there any news about the patch?
    regards

two repaints coming soon

two VMA-542 harriers i been working on should get them up loaded soon

and on another note has any one found a fix for the harrier engine not restarting after two shutdowns its doing my head in

Charter Member 2012
    Great work Nath :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by cortomalteseit View Post
    Is there any news about the patch?
    regards
    Sure, we are almost finishing it. The biggest delay is the manual. Right now it has 100+ pages and still counting. The HUD has been upgraded, the radios, navigation, radar, etc. We are checking to ensure that the aircraft and the manual agree with each other.

Sure, we are almost finishing it. The biggest delay is the manual. Right now it has 100+ pages and still counting. The HUD has been upgraded, the radios, navigation, radar, etc. We are checking to ensure that the aircraft and the manual agree with each other.
    will the patch have a fix for the engines not restarting after 2 shutdowns

Roger, thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 168