OT: Re: Win-Vista and Win-7 (any edition)

Thread: OT: Re: Win-Vista and Win-7 (any edition)

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries

OT: Re: Win-Vista and Win-7 (any edition)

This is very troubling..
    Received this from one of our Flight sim Brothers
    Beware all..

First to Owen:
    If you would please, start a thread on the SOH Forum Re: Win-Vista and Win-7 (any edition).
    Seems that from several OS forums I visited lately, Microsoft now considers anything dated past 2009 as Malware, and has inoculated the Registry against any registering of any .dll files, et al, back beyond that date.
    If you can, let your SOH Buds know that any M$ Updates dated back around June 2012, will have in them some hidden Malicious Malware file Removers.
    These will say, like "Security Update for Windows Program Files (64) or Program Files (x86). These are Registry Killers, among other fun stuff !!
    These will corrupt any and all registry files dated before 2009, and prevent the Registry from accepting these .dll or other files from loading into the registry.
    WARNING: Do Not Allow Any M$ Updates for your Win-XP, Win-Vista, or Win-7 OS dated after June 2012. Period !!
    Please see the below from HP regarding my system, and a full recovery to my Clean Install of Win-7 Home Premium prior to these updates.
    Note: Often these updates are for M$ Office, any version, or for Net Frame, or just about any other feature of your Win-Vista or Win-7 OS.

If I was a hacker and I wanted to preserve some unexploited way into people's systems, I would spread this around as far and as fast I as I could to get people to stop updating their OS protection. Just saying, this sound like fear mongering for some ulterior purpose. This sort of "virus" is spread socially by sincere people with good intentions. Unless I can trace it's origins back to a credible source, and not just word of mouth I usually ignore these things.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Major Magee's point is well taken. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

That said, it would not surprise me that M$oft has managed to put out an update which, like congress's actions, has "unintended consequences." No one at M$oft will own up to it if it is true (I have several times caught them lying to me about OS problems over the years -- they aren't even embarrased when caught flat footed!)

It is odd that only CFS3 would be affected; what about Flight Simulator 2004? And why haven't we heard from others with the same problem? Could it be something else with this poor guy's rig?

I'm still on XP Pro, and have dutifully allowed most of the updates to run, with the exception of their malware cleaner. Not paranoid about their cleaner; it's simply that I have my own, and theirs would likely be way behind, so I just don't bother. M$oft, like Facebook, Google, etc., also like to collect info which really isn't any of their business, so I'm fairly selective about what I run from them.

I'd be interested in what HP told the fellow about recovery.

Quoted by the Hobbit:
    "These will say, like "Security Update for Windows Program Files (64) or Program Files (x86). These are Registry Killers, among other fun stuff !!
    These will corrupt any and all registry files dated before 2009, and prevent the Registry from accepting these .dll or other files from loading into the registry."

I believe that these 'MS Updates' are actually viruses by hackers. Our friend SPQR got stung with these. I also run win7 64, but had never received any updates that said 'Security Update for Program Files (x86)'. Beware. I'm including a list of my latest MS updates, but I'm not sure if you can read them.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Yes this was from SPQR, he sent this and asked me to warn all about what happened to him..
    I don't have vista or win 7 , still using XP..
    But I have did a bit of checking there is a Virus, that uses the window security update link..

Then like SPQR you end up with a virus, and No computer that will work..

Beware of ANY MS security updates that automatically pop up..
    I would recommend to just daily check at the MS site for updates..
    Not automatically assume that a security update is from MS..

Owen, I don't know what happened to SPQR33. I run Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium and (having just checked) I let MS updates download and install when they're available. Checking the update history I find two MS malicious software removal patches have been installed since June this year. CFS3 continues to run as it always has.

I also run industrial-strength payware antivirus/firewall/anti-malware software. Perhaps this makes me a first-class chump who's walking wide-eyed into disaster, but I figure MS and the industry-leading AV software companies have a lot more to lose than me if their products screw up millions of computers. Just like if I don't do my job properly in real life someone's home, family and all they hold dear could be cinders and ashes and I'll be in jail, leaving my family to fend for themselves.

So I'm going to leave MS updates set at automatic and I'm going to continue to pay for AV software. In eight years this strategy for XP and now Windows 7 has not let me down and I do use the net quite a lot.

Cheers!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    Yes this was from SPQR, he sent this and asked me to warn all about what happened to him..
    I don't have vista or win 7 , still using XP..
    But I have did a bit of checking there is a Virus, that uses the window security update link..

Then like SPQR you end up with a virus, and No computer that will work..

Beware of ANY MS security updates that automatically pop up..
    I would recommend to just daily check at the MS site for updates..
    Not automatically assume that a security update is from MS..
    He got hit with spam or Trojan that duped him into thinking we was doing an MS update.

I don't change my policies because of this type of circulation

Cheers

TW
    PTO RS MP Missions nights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quLMot-_Vik

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My first CFS3 Install(the stock one) didnt wanna start, and I turned off my comp and It just started working

Mine was reversed hehe..
    You must never ASSUME, because when you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME!!!!!!!!!-Benny Hill