very much work in progress

Thread: very much work in progress

very much work in progress

I guess this is clear enough for the experts here?

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I am no expert but I was interested enough so looked up the pictures and they are for Shoo Shoo Baby.
    http://www.warbirdregistry.org/b17re...7-4232076.html

OY-DFA being Danish 1945
    Store Bjoern being Danish 1948
    2322076 is the original US Sho shoo baby maybe circa 43 or 44.
    GSH one is French where it flew 1955 to 1961 and then was derelict and kept until 1972
    BAP is a testflight livery with SAAB in Sweden in 1945
    LLE - couldn't work out. Maybe Copengagen 46-47 ?

Thanks for all your amazing paints and have a lovely day, Jankees !

Yeah, it clearly shows you have too much time

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Yeah, it clearly shows you have too much time
    And to think .. we all tried a MP this evening ... everything just went haywire ... to much time or that screen was the cause of our mashing potatoes

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

too much time, indeed...

OK, so here we go:
    B-17G-35-BO 42-32076 rolled off Boeing's production line in Seattle in march 1944. This was around the transition from camouflaged to bare metal aircraft, which led to the odd situation that the datablock was stencilled onto a OD panel, while the rest of the aircraft was left bare metal. This was because the datablock was sprayed on right at the beginning of production. The aircraft was assigned to the 401st BS of the 91st BG, and was collected at the depot in Burtonwood by Paul McDuffee, who was so impressed with its smooth handling that he asked to be assigned to it. The aircraft was named by its crew chief, Hank Cordes, and was named after a popular song by the Andrews Sisters. Originally, the name was 'Shoo shoo baby', applied in gothic letters, which was later replaced by a Vargas girl and an additional 'shoo', painted by Cpl. Tony Starcer. McDuffee flew 13 missions with 076, before completing his tour of duty. On completion of his last flight, he buzzed the airfield and flew so low that fencing wire became entangled in the tail wheel.
    Here she is one one of her missions:

On the plane's 23rd mission, on 29 may 1944, Lt. Robert Guenther was flying 076 on a raid to Poznan when he suffered engine failure on one engine, and a while later, flak knocked out a second engine. 'Shoo shoo shoo baby' started to fall behind, and when a third engine started to falter, Lt Guenther decided to turn to neutral Sweden, with the crew jettisoning all loose equipment. A group of FW190's clossed in, but did not open fire, peeling away. By the time 076 reached Bulltofta airfield near Malmo, it had only one engine left, but it did manage to perform a safe landing. The crew were interned, and the aircraft was impounded. The crew returned to the UK in october 1944, and 'Shoo shoo shoo baby' remained in Sweden.
    Here she is in Bulltofta:

and what I painted:

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

B-17G-35-BO 42-32076 was interned in Sweden on 29 may 1944, after losing two engines during a raid on Poznan. At the time, Sweden maintained an aerial connection with Prestwick in the UK, using orange painted DC-3. These were slow, and always in danger of being shot down. After one was shot down, the Swedish Government decided to try and look for alternatives, and a deal was struck with
    the US: They released several interned flightcrews in exchange for 10 B-17 bombers that had landed in Sweden. In the end, only 9 B-17's became Swedish property, and 42-32076 was one of those. Seven of these B-17's were then converted to airliners by SAAB at Linkoping, the other two were used for spares. The conversion inclued the removal all all military equipment, the addition of a longer,
    closed nose, and the installation of a bagage compartment in the bombbay and two passenger compartments, one forward and one in the aft fuselage. At the back of the cabin there was room for a
    small toilet. In addition, they installed extra windows in passenger cabins. This rebuilding lasted 5-6 months. Thus converted the aircraft could carry 14 passengers. They were now called F-17's, after
    Felix Hardeson, the US military attache in Sweden who was vital for the conclusion of the deal. Most aircraft received a camouflage paint job, with the registration and the word 'Sweden'in large yellow
    letters on the fuselage. The first operational flight to Prestwick took place in october 1944, continuing until the end of the war. After the war, the F-17's were used for flights to New York, Europe, Africa and South America, but the availability of the new DC-4's after the war meant that the F-17's were retired in Sweden in august 1947. 42-32076 in the meantime never received a coat of camouflage paint, but was left bare metal, with just the registration on the wings and fuselage. It was sold to the Danish Air Line in november 1945, being registered OY-DFA.
    Here she is as SE-BAP:

and what I painted:

I couldn't rebuild the nose, or remove the turrets and guns, so you'll have to make allowances for that, sorry.

B-17G-35-BO 42-32076, now registered SE-BAP, performed test flights on November 2, 1945 and November 6 the aircraft was transferred to Heathrow Airport and surrendered to the Danish Air Line
    (DDL). Here it was registered OY-DFA and on November 13 the aircraft was deployed in flight on the UK – Copenhagen route.
    Here she is with here new Danish ID:

During one flight, upon arrival to Blackbushe Airport on 28 November 1945, with 22 persons aboard, the left landing gear would not come down and the pilot, Captain Emil Damm, executed a one wheel landing with little damage and no injuries. During the repairs, it also received a new paintjob and the name "Stig Viking".
    Here she is in her new paintjob:

In September 1946 “Stig Viking “ was used on the Copenhagen Nairobi in route, which from February 1947 was expanded to Johannesburg in South Africa. In 1947, the DDL also started flying DC-4, and the days of the F-17 as a passenger plane were numbered.

This is what I painted:

In late 1947 the Danish Army Air Corps started to look for an aircraft that could be used for aerial photography assignments on Greenland for the Danish Geodetic Institute (DGI) and in April 1948
    they purchased B 17G OY-DFA “Stig Viking” from DDL.

B-17G-35-BO 42-32076, now registered OY-DFA was bought by the Danish Army Air Corps in April 1948 to be used for aerial photography assignments on Greenland for the Danish Geodetic Institute (DGI). The plane was rebuilt with 3 cameras in the nose - one for vertical shots and two to oblique recordings - plus space for a photographer behind a pivoting glass covered nose. An additional
    1,400-liter fuel tank was installed in the bomb bay, and fi nally the plane got the registration 67-672 and was named “Store Bjørn” (“Big Dipper, or Ursus Major”).
    Here she is back in military colors:

In 1949 it flew a navigation tour to Sweden and Norway, went to Greenland and Canada to examine the route and alternate aerodromes. After returning the plane had an overhaul, and from July to
    September it was stationed on Greenland, where it flew a total of 108 hours of aerial photography for GI. When the Navy vessel “Alken” disappeared on Greenland, “Store Bjørn” assisted in the
    search from 23 October - 12. November and flew 48 hours total as a SAR aircraft.
    1950 was a busy year, from July to the end of September it flew a total of 137 hours of aerial photography. Moreover, on the 14th-17th September it flew again as a SAR aircraft for 25 hours
    in search of Loftleiðirr’s missing DC-4 “Geysir”.
    Here she is in action over Greenland:

The Danish Geodetic Institute (DGI) did aerial photography and surveying on Greenland using “Store Bjørn”. In 1950 low-level vertical aerial photography was carried out in the region around Mestersvig,
    with the main purpose of constructing detailed topographic maps in connection with lead-zinc prospecting. Oblique aerial photography was also carried out over much of the region between latitudes 69°–81°N in the years 1950 and 1952.

After the Royal Danish Air Force was established in 1951 “Store Bjørn?” was assigned to 721 Squadron at Air Base Værløse. It flew a rescue flight to Greenland to evacuate a seriously injured man. During the summer photo flight on Greenland, June to September the weather was not co-operating and only 56 hours of aerial photography was flown. In 1952 54 hours of photo flight was done again on Greenland. When the great flood disaster in Holland happened in 1953 “Store Bjørn?” flew blankets, boots and rubber boats from Heathrow to Valkenburg. During the 1953 summer Greenland flight, from June to September it flew a total of 101 hours of aerial photography for DGI and on the first October of 1954, the plane was officially decommissioned.

Here is what I painted:

I could not resist those big orange wings, needed for operations over Greenland..

The plane was in storage for two years and was then sold to the Institut Geographique National, a French aerial mapping company based in Creil outside Paris, and it was flown there by a Danish crew on 5 april 1955. After the sale to IGN, 42-32076 was again modified so that it would corresponded to the rest of IGN’s 12 B-17's, with the installation of 2 cameras in the belly for Aerial Photography Survey. IGN put the aircraft into service in January 1956 with registration F-BGSH and used it for its worldwide aerial photography program until 15 July 1961, when the aircraft was damaged in a collision and was stored in a corner of the airfield in Creil with a total flight time 3364 hours. Here, the plane was slowly cannibalized to keep the other IGN B-17's flying.

Here she is back in civilian clothes:

and after the accident, slowly being cannibalized:

and here is what I painted:

In 1968, the ancestry of F-BGSH was discovered by the Australina aviation historian Steve Birdsall, who notified the USAF museum, that this was a combat veteran that had flown operational missions, in contrast to most other surviving B-17's. Following negotiations, the B-17 was donated to the US by the French Government. Interestingly, its Swedish heritage attracted interest from Sweden as
    well, but nothing came of this. The aircraft was disassembled at Creil and trucked to Frankfurt and flown to the US in 1972, where it arrived, packed in 27 crates.
    Here she is, being swallowed by a C-5 Galaxy:

No plans or funds for restoration were present at the time, but in 1977, Mike Leiston, a technician at Dover AFB contacted the museum about the possibility of restoring one of the museum's aircraft by volunteers at Dover AFB. With the project approved, 42-32076 was transported to Dover, with the aim of restoring it to a stock wartime B-17G.
    Upon arrival, Paul McDuffee, who had flown her for 13 missions, was present, and the reunion was clearly an emotional one as he commented "I've just got to go over and kiss her", which he did.
    Here she is, undergoing restoration at Dover AFB:

The restoration continued to 1988,and after some 60.000 ma hours, "Shoo shoo shoo baby" took to the skies again for the first time on 11 september.
    Here she is back in the air:

On 14 october 1988, she flew for the last time, to the USAF museum near Dayton, Ohio, where she can still be seen.
    Here she is in the USAF museum:

Even the nose art was recreated by the original artist, Tony Starcer, although she looks a bit different from 1944.
    The main difference however with her wartime looks is the fact that she currently sports an olive drab camouflage paint, which was necessary due to all the metal work needed to bring her back to a stock B-17G condition.

and finally, here is what I painted:

So there you have it, the amazing story of one B-17 combat veteran that survived to the present day.

I still have to sort some odds and ends on the different paintschemes (if you see any errors, please say so), but I hope to upload them somewhere next week.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    ... I still have to sort some odds and ends on the different paintschemes (if you see any errors, please say so), but I hope to upload them somewhere next week.
    "Genevieve" is at the wrong angle on the bare metal version. :
    (You said if you see any errors, please say so...)

Charter Member 2015
    Fantastic works

Bravo ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    "Genevieve" is at the wrong angle on the bare metal version. :
    (You said if you see any errors, please say so...)
    yes, one of the odds (or is it an end?)

Awesome job, Jan!

Thanks,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    yes, one of the odds (or is it an end?)
    Being #2 in the engine order, wouldn't that make "Geneiveve" an even?
    Either way, she looks like a nice girl.

Wow, nice work! A nice history lesson as well. It's a shame A2A didn't include at least one civilian B-17 in their release, but it's a nice plane none the less.