Longest FS Hiatus in my life

Thread: Longest FS Hiatus in my life

members+
    Fighter Fanatic

Longest FS Hiatus in my life

I just don't get it. Haven't flown in such a long time. I flew for 15 minutes the other day, and I've even got a few new payware I've flown less than one hour. I don't get it. I seem to have lost interest in it.

Still love aviation, but I guess I can't quite find that spark anymore. I used to fly quite often. I wanted to learn more about turbine aircraft, but can't quite find many good turboprops will all the realistic startup and running procedures and knobs, as I can in GA. I've pretty much mastered VFR GA flight, not IFR. Wanna learn that, too, but never get around to reading about it, or doing the FSX lessons for it.

I'm not sure. Maybe you guys can help me figure this out, or rediscover the spark. :ernae: I miss flying FS, but when I'm about to, I just kinda go 'eh.'
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

I would suggest a change in how you approach it, try some of the missions, Gera does some fun & quirky ones e.g. Or fly differing types, set challenges for yourself, or fly the world, or learn to do everything by the numbers. It is such an open sim that the options are almost unlimited.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

You might want to have a look at Aerosofts BroncoX if you like turboprops!
    But watch it: a lot of switch-throwing and manual reading here and you might catch the sim-disease again. There's no real cure for it anyway.

Cheers,
    Mark

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I lost all interest in FS and didn't get any enjoyment out of it. So I quit completely.

I actually thought I would never get back to simming, but I was bitten by the bug again while trying MS Flight. The hiatus changed my approach to simming. Now I only fly planes that give me something to do, i.e. I want to actually "fly" the damn planes. If I try to do longer flights I get bored. Anything autopilot related gets soon tedious. So I only fly planes that give me that, Super Cub, C188, Stearman etc, short flights and crazy maneuvers... And I used to be a tubeliner-freak<label for="rb_iconid_25"></label>.

So it is more like a flying game to me now than a simulator.

Missions got me back into the swing of things a few years back after my interest wained a little.
    Another item to consider which will really help and lots of customers are reporting having great fun with in FSX is FSInventions Instant Approach Maker as it takes you to areas of the sim world you might not normally go, so its like a voyage of re-discovery. If you are looking for more aircraft realism, then something like Accu-Feel is another inexpensive upgrade worth considering.

Dean
    Manager, PC Aviator Australia
    The Original Flight Simulator Store
    Flight Sim Software, Hardware and Accessories
    We Ship Worldwide!
    http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store

No harm in just walking away for a while.
    I go hot and cold. I noticed that I just couldn't be bothered flying complex missions or loading up the FMC with a flight plan of late.
    Went back to basics. Just purchased the Carenado 337 and also the Classic Hanger BF108. SImple but fun aircraft.
    Currently am flying around Megascenery X So Cal in the BF108 - Whew it is hot on the ground !! 40 C with real weather download. On takeoff from Palm Springs Intl the BF engine started misbehaving - coughing and the like - and suddenly it was all intense concentration as I was still climbing out and only at 500 Feet above runway. Looking around, can I make the runway with a tight turn? where is a clear spot to land? I eased back the throttle, made sure the Revs were under 2000 and levellled out nursing her along until the engine came right and I resumed the climb into circuit height.
    Now that was fun!!!

Spike

It's a well-known desease. Here in Europe, we call it "Summer". It's a period of the year in which you actually want to go outside and do anything else but seat in front of a computer.

FS addiction comes and goes. Sometimes I don't fly for weeks, sometimes I seat there and I fly for two hours or more. There's no need for an explanation.

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    I appreciate the replies, everyone. Yeah, I bought the Carenado 337, as FSD's was one of my favorites back in FS2004. I got the Virtavia T-34C, which I've always wanted, but for some reason the radios won't work in the VC. I'm a checklist guy, but that kinda turned me off. Carenado 337 is, I believe, worth every penny. Just a well made aircraft, and they seem to have thought of everything.

Maybe I should just stick to the smaller single and twin engine piston ships, like you said, Bushpilot. Do what you like, and I could throw in some long distance cruise to my favorite summer airports. Dang, I wanna get that Stearman so bad, because I flew the crap out of earlier Stearmans, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen. I'll buy it, and it'll sit for a few months... :d :ernae:
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

Am sure everyone who loses interest (no matter for how long) does so for any number of reasons.

I haven't gotten back into simming for quite some time now. Ever since I began preparing to move to Florida over a year ago, I just haven't been as interested in it.

I monitor new releases/updates, etc.... And still have controllers set up. Maybe I'll get back into it?

NC

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Kinda the same thing. I've been going through some tough and crazy stuff that last year, year and a half. Maybe that's one reason. I just find myself playing mindless action and strategy games; guess it's just another diversion. At least, with FS, I felt like I was exercising some skill I have and using more than normal gaming brain power. :d Title of the post might've come off as silly, but I've been doing this for 12 years, 10 consistently. So, it's just weird to not have flown FS for almost a year.

I hope I'll get back into it, too. That's exactly what I do: I monitor new stuff, watch daily deals, and even have purchased a few things in the last several months, only to not use them...

I really miss FS, but just can't seem to figure out why I don't grab the hat, joystick, and plant my feet on the peddles like I used to. :salute: The few times I have flown, I feel like I have to get used to TrackIR all over again. LOL :d
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

It's some sort of burn-out I guess. I also had some crazy stuff happening in my life at the same time I lost interest in FS. What I did was get rid off all FS stuff, wiped my FSX drive clean, sold my controllers, dropped the forum visits. Extreme measures, but it helped!

The trouble with sims of course is the time constraints, to take simming seriously you have to devote a good chunk of time if you are honest and doing things properly. Unlike these shoot 'em up games where you can pop in, create a bit of carnage for 5 mins, save and log off. After all FSX is approaching 6 years old and FS9 9 years, so any novelty value has long ago worn off.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Real life has a way of intruding on the virtual life. My wife and I have been on a 2 year relocation back to the Lone Star state after living for 11 years
    in Illinois. We lived apart for 9 months (me working in TX and her in IL) while our house was on the market. We're finally out of the state of IL and
    resettled in TX (lived here 16 years before the IL move), but back on topic, for over a year, the interest in simming wasn't there. I'd buy the latest
    releases and just warehouse them on the PC.

Now that we're home, the interest is creeping back. Like the rest, I was active in the forums and such, but grounded in the virtual world.

Don't worry, as life calms down a bit, the urge and interest will return.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

well this thread is interesting...
    hello my name is heywoood and I DON"T flight sim as much as I should, or used to, either

I used to want to fly all the time - but anymore, I just take one or two short hops in the PNW - no more than 30nm between takeoff and landing
    that's it...that's all I fly on any given day anymore

I like the term 'summer' as a hybrid of simmer and bummer...lol it works much better than the name of a season

(of course, that doesn't count the one or two campaign missions I fly in RoF and the occasional ordinance delivery hops I might take in the Black Shark of DCS...but I digress again)
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I seem to be in the same situation too. My current sim PC is on its last legs and really I should be thinking about obtaining something to replace it with. But for unknown reason, I've recently lost interest in sim flying. This has happened before and if it wasn't for the people over at Britsim, I would have finished ages ago. Helping with over 30 projects there and being part of the Moylneaux, Horsey and Pengelly team has worked wonders, but now I've hit a virtual brick wall.

As real flying is getting more and more expensive now, I've been trying to do as much as I can before its too late and over the last few months have notched up a few more hours which in hindsight, would have been enough to purchase a replacement computer. Flying is my first hobby and virtual flying perhaps second (after Real Ale!?), so who knows whats ahead? What with the way our so called Summer is going over here in the UK, perhaps it would be safer and cheaper in the long run to go back to sitting infront of a screen than spending an hour in the rain over Southwest England.

Happy Landings,

Martin

Members who have read this thread: 70