Windows 7 Questions OT

Thread: Windows 7 Questions OT

Master of Disaster

Windows 7 Questions OT

This probably isn't the place for this but here it goes. I just reinstalled windows 7 on a new HD. I'm trying to update some aircraft.cfg's (109K) but it won't let me save. It's showing I have administrator rights, as least i think it is........any ideas? Thanks!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Did you disable UAC (User Account Control) ?...

My suggestions...

1) Do as Javis says....disable UAC before it drives you insane.

2) Naturally, go in and tell Win 7 you want to see all hidden files.

3) Download and install this hack so you can take control of files: http://www.howtogeek.com/?post_type=post&p=557

4) Turn off all the damn eco-friendly power management before it makes you want to kill.

5) Become familiar with how to add scenery.....it's easy if you remember how: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...ith-windows-7/

6) Enjoy! It's a better OS than XP.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Members +
    It pays to read the threads for sure! Thanks a million TeaSea! Valuable info on the "Takeover" of Win7. Love the OS, hate the @#%& that came with it.

Cheers n' Beers!
    On my tombstone shall read:
    "He ran out of fuel, altitude and airspeed all at once."

Also, always select "Run as administrator" when installing FSX stuff or running the program.

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBaron View Post
    Also, always select "Run as administrator" when installing FSX stuff or running the program.

Paul
    And remember in spite of using the computer as adminitrator user (as I do while running FSX) doesn't mean that you don't need to install as told (quote above). Most addons installs without "running as administrator" but not all (though you are administrator user).

Pekka

Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Also, I've found that installing to some driver other than C: gives you a bit more control over things, if it isn't 1) too late, and 2) possible on your system. MS seems to be a bit "over protective" of the C: drive since Vista...

- Paul
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

It's the Program Files and Program Files (x86) in 64-bit versions which it's protective of. Install to other locations and it's a lot less hassle: C:\FSX for instance.

Wonderful OS, so much better done than Vista and streets ahead of XP (which I also loved).
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    It's the Program Files and Program Files (x86) in 64-bit versions which it's protective of. Install to other locations and it's a lot less hassle: C:\FSX for instance.

Wonderful OS, so much better done than Vista and streets ahead of XP (which I also loved).
    I actually prefer D:\Microsoft Games\ etc etc..... could even be E, F, G, H..... anyone but "C" drive.
    why anyone would run FS on the same drive as the pagefile? Unless that's all they have in their machine.

Quote Originally Posted by RtrHd1 View Post
    I actually prefer D:\Microsoft Games\ etc etc..... could even be E, F, G, H..... anyone but "C" drive.
    why anyone would run FS on the same drive as the pagefile? Unless that's all they have in their machine.
    Actually the pagefile can be located anywhere I think I have mine on D: for my Xp Pro boot while my
    XP Pro FSX is on I: and my Win7 FSX is on X: (dual-boot) I don't recall where I located the Win7 pagefile.

My "Addon Scenery" 'folder' is actually my J: drive that is aliased to an empty "Addon Scenery" folder
    in both the Xp and Win7 FSX directories, thus both installs of FSX share the same scenery 'folder'.

My aircraft "SimObjects" folders are all over...some on I:, some on X: and some on Y:

Nothing related to FSX is on either C: drive (Xp/Win7) except the those FSX entities that go into
    the Documents and Settings directories.

I disabled UAC and IE on Day 1 of my Win7 install and always right-click 'Run as administrator' and rarely
    run into M$'s over-done 'I know what's good for you and will protect you from yourself' nonsense.

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

Members +
    You're right about the page file Gypsy, it can even be spread over several drives. Guess I was stating my prefs. I have a very modest setup with only 2 current drives. Win7 is on C and all flightsim things are on D. with the exception that you mentioned. I too use the "Run as Admin" and definitely disabled the nag controller in Win7 just after the install.

Anyone having luck with Win8 Beta and anything FS? Maybe that should be another thread....

There is another way.

So you've installed FSX to the default. Perhaps you've also installed the sdk or gmax to default locations in Program Files (x86 - if 64-bit win7) and you don't want to open the entire system up by disabling the accursed UAC.

Right-click on the FSX folder in Explorer and select Properties, then select the Security tab. Under Group or user names select Users and click on the Edit button. The Permissions dialog for the FSX folder now displays - select Users again and tick Allow for Full control. This will allow you to read, write and edit any file in your FSX folder and any sub-folders despite the UAC being at its paranoid best with any other Program folder. This works in Vista as well as Win7.

Hope this helps.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Master of Disaster
    I got it squared away guys, thanks for the advice! My rig is finally running the way it should...it was a memory issue. I'm just glad I'm flying again!!!!!!!!!!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!