T-45C Goshawk and F-14D Tomcat updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-45C Goshawk and F-14D Tomcat updates

T-45C Goshawk and F-14D Tomcat updates

I am taking a small break from the F-35 project (btw Beta 2 testing is now finished and the project is looking good) and I am reviewing the status of my T-45C and F-14D project.

The T-45C will receive a very small update to the existing model, to get rid of a couple of minor things that I find annoying. Here is a partial list of the changes:

- Changed external model canopy glass reflection to get rid of separate DX9/DX10 models. The new glass material (textured) looks OK in both modes.
    - Fixed texture folder cfg for texture aliasing
    - Added all the repaints from Jiri Soukup (which include the outstanding Centennial Of Naval Aviation schemes that were missing from the original package)
    - Minor fixes to virtual cockpit (mainly misalignment of some switches)
    - Improved HUD symbol generator (should look slightly better now)
    - Redone all thumbnails for visual consistency in FSX menu

Here is a picture from one of Jiri's repaints:

Attachment 67465

As for the F-14D I am working on a major rework - it will take some time. For the moment only the pilot cockpit is planned - but there will be provisions to add the RIO one later on.

Here are very preliminary pics of the unfinished external model:

Attachment 67466 Attachment 67467

Both projects will be freeware - and for both suggestions and comments are most welcome, especially by users who know well the current versions and their shortcomings.

As usual, more details on my blog:

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/

Great stuff! And thank you Dino!
    Matt

Thank you Dino!
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Great work Dino,

Your attention to detail is really inspiring - I might even push a few polygons and pixels round later!

Dave :salute:

Blog Entries
    Many thanks for your efforts Dino, those really are something to look forward too (and not forgeting the F-35!)

Regards,
    Ian.

Am looking forward to them both....

You are amazing. :salute:
    Best regards,
    Jim T.
    USAF ret. ECM (Old Crow)

great news Dino! The only other comments/suggestions I have would be to further integrate the BINGO/LAW level settings to line up with the Bitchin' Betty Sounds. Currently you get a HUD indication but the sounds are defaulted to the settings for the default FSX Hornet avionics. The only other problem is the launching from the catapult and ending up at 250+knots. Don't know if that can be fixed though as it might be an FSX limitation?

Brandon

With regards the catapult issue its a FSX thing, although RFN crowd manged to come with a workd around for a couple of their planes, I think it is instigated into the model and uses the break relaese as the cataput trigger insted of the default space bar,
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Thanks Dino. Both models were excellent, so more attention from you can only push them higher.

-Jeff

Dino,

I bought your F-35 and really enjoyed it, and I also really like your T-45 and F-14.

However, when flying the T-45 and F-14 in multiplayer (early versions of both), there were strange problems with internet-lag caused by the aircraft. At the time, we thought perhaps the models were just too detailed. But now knowing what we do about repeating codes that cause server-flooding and produce internet lag -- I was wondering if you've looked at that issue with the airplanes you make, and if they are smooth in multiplayer now.

Cheers,

Chris

425th Alouette MAS and VMA214 MAV VA Squadron
    Thank for those update and of course the soon to be release f-35

this is great news Dino - The two main reasons (along with Javiers Nimitz) that I fly FSX

and BtW - whenever I talk about my FSX habit to anyone - the first things I mention are your contributions (T-45 and Tomcat)
    ..and the fact that some of the best things in life ARE free
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by skyblazer3 View Post
    Dino,

I bought your F-35 and really enjoyed it, and I also really like your T-45 and F-14.

However, when flying the T-45 and F-14 in multiplayer (early versions of both), there were strange problems with internet-lag caused by the aircraft. At the time, we thought perhaps the models were just too detailed. But now knowing what we do about repeating codes that cause server-flooding and produce internet lag -- I was wondering if you've looked at that issue with the airplanes you make, and if they are smooth in multiplayer now.

Cheers,

Chris
    Hi Crhis, can you elaborate on these "repeating codes that cause server-flooding and produce internet lag"? What have you found?

I haven't found anything personally -- but I know that the Realair Duke, and the Milviz T-38, and the CaptainSim C-130 had these problems -- Realair and Milviz have corrected the issue with a patch.

There is a problem with some coding that calls on certain functions again and again -- and if these are things that are transmitted in multiplayer, then it will flood a multiplayer server and create internet lag that affects the position of aircraft and default FSX communications.

Perhaps a coder from Milviz or SimSKunkworks can elaborate on this -- because they are keenly aware of the issue.

There is also a developer utility that measures if aircraft are causing this problem. I'm sorry I'm not of more use, I'm just a dumb pilot.

Cheers,

Chris

Hey Chris, thanks! I just stumbled upon such issues before, and I was wondering what might cause it, but your answer gave me some extra information that is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skyblazer3 View Post
    I haven't found anything personally -- but I know that the Realair Duke, and the Milviz T-38, and the CaptainSim C-130 had these problems -- Realair and Milviz have corrected the issue with a patch.

There is a problem with some coding that calls on certain functions again and again -- and if these are things that are transmitted in multiplayer, then it will flood a multiplayer server and create internet lag that affects the position of aircraft and default FSX communications.

Perhaps a coder from Milviz or SimSKunkworks can elaborate on this -- because they are keenly aware of the issue.

There is also a developer utility that measures if aircraft are causing this problem. I'm sorry I'm not of more use, I'm just a dumb pilot.

Cheers,

Chris

There is also a developer utility that measures if aircraft are causing this problem.
    I think what you are refering to is Event Logger by Doug Dawson. It is a gauge you place in a panel that logs to a text file.
    It only responds to the Events contained in the SDK. If the issue is with a Gauge(G:Var) or Local(L:Var) it won't be recognized.
    Search the flightsim library for "Event Logger". Both FS9 and FSX versions should show up. Extremely useful...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP wet), EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 16GB DDR3-2400,
    128GB SAMSUNG 830-Win 7 Ult x64, 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro-FS9/FSX/P3D, WD 1TB Black-FS98, ROF, etc. WD Black 2TB-Storage/Backup,

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    Hey Chris, thanks! I just stumbled upon such issues before, and I was wondering what might cause it, but your answer gave me some extra information that is helpful.
    Hi JR,

I've been "fighting" this "continuous event" problem induced by many gauges, since I started to create xml gauges (for FS2K2).
    The most infamous one probably being continously forcing the Smokesystem either On or Off, depending on a condition.

This problem can always be avoided, by checking if it's necessary to issue an event (ie. only issue the event if the current state of the corresponding var is different then the intended one). Even works for axis events.

Besides flooding a MP server, this "continuous event" problem also causes multi-keystroke sequences, like SH-E 2 (open exit-2), to fail.

Cheers, Rob

Actually, the T-45 doesn't flood, but the F-14D does. We fly the T-45 fairly regularly at DTP and have checked it carefully, and it's fine. Haven't figured out what is causing the F-14 to flood though.

I am currently a Student Naval Aviator (SNA) learning to fly the T-45C. I have used your model extensively for cockpit familiarization.

Is there any way that on the external model we could correct the launch bar animation during gear retraction? On the real jet the launch bar retracts upwards against the strut, not downward against the wheels?

Also, when the Goshawk is shut down the gear doors are usually opened, and the flaps droop (not the slats, though). Any way that this could be added to the model?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut172N View Post

Also, when the Goshawk is shut down the gear doors are usually opened, and the flaps droop (not the slats, though). Any way that this could be added to the model?
    The first version or two that Dino did the gear doors did droop at shutdown. The problem with this was that when you recorded a flight with FSrecorder, the gear doors would animate in the drooped position. As with many things in FSX, a compromise was made. You won't get to see the doors droop after shutdown for the five seconds you'd spend in the outside view looking at them, so you won't have to see them droop for the duration of a formation flight in FSrecorder. An acceptable compromise, lol.

Glad to see you here, Rob Thanks for the clarification. I should check some of my gauges for this bug.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Hi JR,

I've been "fighting" this "continuous event" problem induced by many gauges, since I started to create xml gauges (for FS2K2).
    The most infamous one probably being continously forcing the Smokesystem either On or Off, depending on a condition.

This problem can always be avoided, by checking if it's necessary to issue an event (ie. only issue the event if the current state of the corresponding var is different then the intended one). Even works for axis events.

Besides flooding a MP server, this "continuous event" problem also causes multi-keystroke sequences, like SH-E 2 (open exit-2), to fail.

Cheers, Rob

All,

thanks for you feedback and appreciation!
    Unfortunately I had a major hard disk failure which has caused some delay to my projects... All source files are safe, but I had to replace the hard disk and format/reinstall everything (and I lost my custom Eglin scenery in the process)...

I have to confess that I was completely unaware of the "event flood" multiplayer issue.
    I believe that, for the Tomcat, it may be due to the XML code that controls the flap retraction before swinging the wings... as it is basically the only piece of custom XML code I can remember (everything else is stock F/A-18).

As for the T-45, bone is right. The first versions had an animation that opened progressively the gear doors and flaps when the engine was off, simulating the relaxation of the hydraulic system... but this feature was then removed as it created glitches in several cases (multiplayer, recording, a/c selection menus and more)...
    The launch bar animation can surely be fixed (I will see if there is a video on youtube to replicate that...although I do not recall seeing one).

Again, thanks a lot

looking for your landing gear cycle test video came across this cool audio...ATC around the carrier...# 13 down the list

http://wn.com/Aviation_communication

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Launch bar animation fixed - thanks

Dino

Members who have read this thread: 228