I think I start a new thread about that.
Here's the newest accomplishments.
I thought the stock fx effects on smoke are to small, and too fps heavy once you try to enlarge them to make a decent smoke cloud of a bombed and burning area. Too many emitters and particles, and too much frequency in change.
So I employed stock cloud sprites, redid them in GIMP and made a nice, slow FX effect for them. The result is a large cloud, volumetric and slowly changing as well as moving, and best of all, almost no FPS hit. At least on my lowly system. The one you are seeing are going up to 3300 feet (black) and 2100ft for the volcano.
I also superimposed an orignal USAAF recon image of Lakaunai airfield on the landscape phototile, alpha-channeled it and colored it so it blends into the colors of the volcanic rock around it. Looks quite good, but I have to adjust the autogen annotation now.

If anyone wants to beta-test that I'd be happy to share this, to hear a few opinions or suggestions as well as some fps figures. This has to be carefully balanced, because it will become a very dense area.

Cheers,
Mark

Attachment 66533 Attachment 66534