Trackir
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trackir

gimpyguy

Trackir

Please, refrain from comments like 'the greatest thing since sliced bread' or 'I can't stop smiling'. This thread is only about problems, and solutions.

Firstly some information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AO0F5sLdVM What is TRACKIR ?

http://trackir.info/instruction.htm How do I setup TRACKIR ?

Cost around $130 US, reason I say around, is if you wish to look around, I believe you can score a $10 Discount . . Ordering through SOH

You might be interested to know, in the past, it was more expensive. Some folks (myself included) paid $180

von Baur
    Haven't looked, but you can probably find some good prices on TIR3 w/Vector rigs on ebay from people moving on to TIR4. The only significant difference between the two is that TIR4 has a slightly wider field of view, which translates into a larger box for your head movement. But I'm still running quite nicely on The TIR3/Vector setup I've had for the past three years and, like gimpy, spent $180 on. And you can get a larger "box" with TIR3 by mounting the camera a foot or two farther back, instead of sticking it right on your monitor.

More to come.

Crozbone
    :mixedsmi: Ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait!

Crozbone

Flame On!
    Resistance is futile....
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX nForce 680i SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    OCZ Platinum Revision 2 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800
    EVGANvidiaGeForce8800GTX768MbGDDR

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card

von Baur
    I promised more. Here it is...some of my personal experience. Bear in mind that I use Track IR3 Pro with the Vector clip and I'm not a regular frequenter of the TIR forum (haven't been there in ages, in fact), so some of this may have been overcome with TIR4.

One of the problems that have been encountered with Track IR, particularly the Vector clip, is that the reflectors sometimes aren't up to the task. They curve slightly side to side to accomodate the different angles offered to the camera as the user turns his/her head, but they do not at all up and down. This leads to occassionally having it lock in the straight up or straight down view requiring a reset, not what you want to have to do in the middle of a dogfight or maneuvering close to the ground. Another is that eyeglasses can interfere with the operation by reflecting enough of the signal to confuse the device (kind of like chaff). What I've done to overcome these is both simple and inexpensive. In fact the whole thing can cost less than five dollars and take less than an hour. (I apologize for the pictures' being out of focus. Not much of a shutterbug.)

First you need to get some small styrofoam balls.

These can be picked up at hobby or craft stores or even in the craft section of many department stores. I used 1 1/2 inch diameter and wouldn't recommend going any smaller. You could go larger if you like, but I doubt it would be necessary.

Next, cut three if them into discs about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.

Be sure to cut them out of the center of the ball, not near the ends.

Then cut strips of reflective tape (available in many locations...I got mine in the local WalMart automotive department) as wide as the thickness of the discs and long enough to go about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way around them.

Apply the strips to the discs.

The reflective tape is adhesive-backed, but it won't stick well to the styrofoam for very long. The dark dots on either side of the tape are straight pins I've stuck through to help hold the tape in place.

Press the discs down onto the reflectors on the Vector clip.

The metal will slide right into the styrofoam with no problem and without damaging the original reflective material. If you don't wiggle it as you put it on it will hold tightly enough without any glue or tape. I've been using this for well over a year now, and I haven't had to replace a single disc or had it come apart in the middle of a game.

The effect is dramatic. The image your unit sees is about four times as large as the standard clip and with a vertical curve as well as a greater arc on the horizontal curve they stay nearly that large until you're looking well past the edges of your monitor (unless you're using a 60" tv as your monitor...then you're on your own). This maintains a solid 'contact' with the unit, all but eliminating the dreaded "stare at the chair" (only time I get that now is when I have to look down at my keyboard for something) and allows you to decrease the sensitivity which reduces the interference.

gimpyguy
    Trackir is a bit of a vampyre, in that it strongly dislikes bright lights, especially sunlight. That includes reflected light, so if you're folically challenged (Bald), cover that chrome dome, it has been known to cause problems.

If you're starting using Trackir, you'll feel abit woosie, not to worry, it happens to everyone, you'll quickly become used to it. But I'd advise in the beginning you keep a pail handy, just in case.
    There was a guy who bought Trackir , for use in Phase 1. He had flown every sim since CFS1, he used Trackir and lost his lunch all over his keyboard. Turns out he would get violently airsick, Who Knew ??? The following day he took out an Ebay Ad.

People have actually asked here, where they can buy Dramimine wholesale, so there must be a need.
    I've heard of many temporary cures, from pills to wristbands. I'd say see an MD, if so afflicted.
    Then use Trackir

One common problem the beginner complains of, is their inability to get the exact sight alignment, to head position, during a dogfight.

Just get it close, and hit the (F12) Key. The sights will center themselves to match Your Head Position. Beginners will get real familure with F12

PS . . It's always good to F12 it when the mission starts

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Some great points!
    my putor room is covered on 3 sides with windows
    always annoys me
    H

Flame On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Some great points!
    my putor room is covered on 3 sides with windows
    always annoys me
    H
    Thumbtacks and black Hefty bags will take care of that!

Fortiesboy
    I have had trackir since trackir 1, way back. It is the best flight sim kit you can get after a good joystick.

1. Trackir should not cause any loss of FPS . It never has on my computers.
    But you can allow it to. What i mean here is that it depends on how you run things.
    When you intend to fly, before starting the sim, you start trackir. A splash scren comes up on the monitor. If you now leave it there and start your sim, there is a chance of loss of FPS. However, if having started trackir you minimize the trackir splash screen, and then start the sim, there should be no loss. In fact, in the settings of trackir, you can programme it always to run minimized. But I do it manually.
    A tip on flying it- You may wonder how much to move your head to get a particular amount of movement of trackir? Don't approach it like that. Use your imagination and really think you are in a cockpit. When looking ahead, pick something on the ground to look at ; or pick a direction, e.g 10 oclock , or 3 o'clock. And then, as if you were really in a cockpit, just look at that point or object. You'll find it is so realistic and natural, you won't be worrying about how far your head has moved.
    Then gradually make the arc- of- looking,wider - until you can see 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock and even 6 o'clock.
    Try all these first attempts in freeflight- (or FSX) - It will soon come naturally and then - ENJOY

CaptainScott
    My earlier thread on the subject has a lot of very useful tips as to how to set up TrackIR...highly recommended reading for those who have just procured it.

Hey, vonBaur
    What the heck is that thing you show in the pics above? Do I have to put it on my head, fixed with gaffer tape? (lol)
    No, seriously, I don't know what that is. From the pics I've seen from TrackIR, it rather looked different - perhaps you can explain to a non-TIR-addict.
    By the way - yesterday, I destroyed 6 (in words: six!) planes in a single flight with my Albatros D II, using just the HUD on the stick (all settings on highest reality, except mixture).
    Perhaps you or Gimpy could answer one particular question: when I want to check my 6 (using TrackIR), how can I turn my view round any further than the edge of the screen - as I still have to see, what is shown? How could TrackIR know, how far around I want to look? If I want to look to my left, I move my face to the left edge, I assume, but if I want to look further to my left rear view? Would be nice, guys, as I may try it too, after all...
    Olham

PS: Ooops; sorry, seems, FORTIESBOY just explained it.

gimpyguy
    Funny thing, when I wish to check my six, a 15 Degree turn to my right will yield as well a sight as if I had turned 180 Degrees. Yet a 15 Degree turn to my left, only yields one side of my rudder and one elevator

Never found it troublesome, sooo I never looked into it. Only an observation

B Bandy RFC
    Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with the finer details of editing within OFF, and just received OFF2 via the sticky thread (a gracious thank you!).
    [After a frustrating afternoon of looking for that bloody DLL file, I finally got it working late last night, and had a blast downing a DIII, then got hit in the oil pan from ground AA, staggered over the lines, and while in view of an aerodrome, the engine sputtered and died and had to make an emerg landing between the crumps! Amazing!!! But I'm off topic....]

I have TIR4, and know how to edit cockpit.ini's from "other" sims to increase/decrease the view angle (ie: to allow a full check-six) but am not sure whether that amount of freedom to edit various ini's is available in OFF.

I feel like an owl being able to see every portion of the tail right now, from elevator tip to tip (in the SE5 last night). I'd prefer only to see one half, then have to look over the other shoulder to see behind the other half. It's just more, well, "natural". Know what I mean?

EDIT: I'm not saying any sim is better than the other, just strengths and weaknesses, that's all. So trust me, I've heard a lot of great things about this one, and that's why I'm here...

Polovski
    Gimpy
    If it's TIR 3 you need to make sure the sensor is bang in the middle AND also aligned pointing exactly at your bonce, if you use the reflectors on the hat.
    If its TIR4 you need to put the reflector 2 or 3 inches left of centre.

gimpyguy
    I'm happy with the Reflectors mounted on my visor, it's worked for quite awhile, but since I'm in SW Florida, and my computer is in my sunroom.
    Too say using Trackir is a challenge, is an understatement

I conquered the sun problem, with curtins, rather Dark, but it beat the heck out of just using Trackir at night

I'd rather mount some lighter weight curtins. I'm getting tired of being Mole Man

I'm now awaiting Delivery of the Pro Trac Clip, always experimenting :costumes:

I'll post "IF" it works, if not 'mums' the word :costumes::costumes:

Flame On!
    I asked this question on another thread, but perhaps I should have done so here. Anyway, will Phase 3 have 6 DOF or will it be 5 DOF like Phase 2? Not really a big deal, I was just wondering.

CJ

Polovski
    Same as before..

Gremlin_WoH
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyguy View Post
    I'm happy with the Reflectors mounted on my visor, it's worked for quite awhile, but since I'm in SW Florida, and my computer is in my sunroom.
    Too say using Trackir is a challenge, is an understatement

I conquered the sun problem, with curtins, rather Dark, but it beat the heck out of just using Trackir at night

I'd rather mount some lighter weight curtins. I'm getting tired of being Mole Man

I'm now awaiting Delivery of the Pro Trac Clip, always experimenting :costumes:

I'll post "IF" it works, if not 'mums' the word :costumes::costumes:

I have the TrackClip Pro but it does not help with the lighting problem. It may be more precise than the standard solution but if you have a white wall behind you like me you still need to shut off the lights as the TrackIR sensor gets distracted by it. There are three LED in the TrackClip Pro but TrackIR freaks out when it gets distracted by other light sources like brightly shining walls, other light sources etc.

B Bandy RFC
    I'm at work and can't remember the locale of the feature in TIR4, but one can lower the input sensitivity of the camera to reduce background light input. Will edit this post once I'm home...

Almost all problem light is less intense than the vector spots. It helps to go into the view feature and get a camera's eye view to see what the problem light source is.

My TIR4 starting a "dancing game screen" mid-flight one time, and I hadn't changed a bloody thing since I took off. I shut down, went into TIR4 manager, and saw in camera view (NOT game head view mind you!) that a small glass-fronted picture on the wall far behind me was reflecting from sunlight -- the sun had advanced enough during the course of game play to all of a sudden cause the problem.

Reducing camera sensitivity resolved the problem, or I suppose, I just could have taken it down, though it was of the wife and kid...

von Baur
    Quote Originally Posted by Olham54 View Post
    Hey, vonBaur
    What the heck is that thing you show in the pics above? Do I have to put it on my head, fixed with gaffer tape? (lol)
    I assume you mean the final picture. That's the Vector clip. What you can't see is two backward-facing tabs, one under each of the bottom two styrofoam discs. You place the clip on the bill of a cap or visor and the tabs slip under the bill to hold it in place. There's a thread on the TIR forum in which some users talk about sewing or gluing the clip to the cap to keep it from slipping, but I've never had that problem. There is a much smaller clip available now that fastens to a headphone.

The original Track IR (and through TIR3 Pro, which I have) used a single refector. Unfortunately if you shifted in your seat and your head moved a little the unit saw that as you turning your head and would react accordingly. This also precluded TIR from shifting your point of view (that is, leaning over the side of your aircraft, or moving your head to see around the nose or over or under the top wing). The three reflectors on different planes allows the unit to accurately calculate the position and angle of your head, thus providing even more realistic view control and giving you those options. Go here, http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/, and click on the videos/demos link for a demonstration.

TrackIR - possibly best buy ?

Here's an adress I just found - they sell TrackIR for 124,95 Euro; metal clip included (no cap).
    Must admit, I'm thinking of getting it - everybody seems so enthusiastic.

http://shop.rightthing.nl/index.php?...FQFbtAodByb6Cg

Snoopy22
    I was thinking about getting this, but had a quick question for those who could help. Do you have to sit right infront of the monitor looking straight at it? I tend to sit kind of sideways to my desk so I can kick my feet up. Would I still be able to some how position it so that this would work?

Not sure, but that's rather the position for games like "Tropical Island" really...

gimpyguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    I was thinking about getting this, but had a quick question for those who could help. Do you have to sit right infront of the monitor looking straight at it? I tend to sit kind of sideways to my desk so I can kick my feet up. Would I still be able to some how position it so that this would work?
    Suggest you drop a line to Natural Point, they could offer an answer

von Baur
    I take a similar position when I'm surfing the internet, Snoopy. But I have to say your question is a little strange. I mean, when you're doing something that requires your full attention, like a flight simulator (especially one in which you're dogfighting) why would you want to have your head facing anywhere except directly at the monitor?? But to each his own, I suppose.

To directly answer your question, though, the key is to have your head facing the camera not necessarily facing your monitor. So if you want to be angled somewhat just make sure you place the camera directly in front of your head.