Installing FSX on a separate drive?

Thread: Installing FSX on a separate drive?

Installing FSX on a separate drive?

My current FSX install is really bloated. So many scenery packages and aircraft. It takes quite a while to boot up, and am convinced things could be much faster if all the "excess" stuff was not installed.

I have several hard drives, but only one is my "boot" drive. Is it possible to install FSX on one of the slave drives, and start FSX from my boot drive?

Thanks.

NC

I have FSX and FS9 installed to a physical secondary drive (not a partition) that has no OS on it. Both run fine.

Not sure what you mean by 'start FSX from my boot drive?' you start them from their own drive just like any other application installed to a secondary drive. The icons appear on your desktop or in your 'Start' menu just like any other install.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    I have FSX and FS9 installed to a physical secondary drive (not a partition) that has no OS on it. Both run fine.

Not sure what you mean by 'start FSX from my boot drive?' you start them from their own drive just like any other application installed to a secondary drive. The icons appear on your desktop or in your 'Start' menu just like any other install.
    Thanks! Going to give it a try!

NC

Ok, new problem,

When the install screen comes up, I am only given the option to Remove or Repair.

How do I begin the install to a different drive?

Thanks.

NC

Chief, you're going to have to remove FSX completely from it's default install, make sure you back up your gauges,effects and Sim Objects folders so you don't lose any thing that you downloaded and forgot where it came from. Next re-install FSX, a screen should come up with two options, NORMAL or CUSTOM, choose CUSTOM and point the installer to your desired HD. I've done this a couple of times already with FSX and too many to count with FS9. When the install is done you should have the FSX shortcut on your desktop and start menu. BTW, I use different folders outside of the FSX folder for my addon scenery, one for each region and a dedicated military facility folder, that way I can keep track of what went where.

Hope this helps you out.
    IYAOYAS!
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Members who have read this thread: 7