Curious cause for computer crashes?

Thread: Curious cause for computer crashes?

Curious cause for computer crashes?

I'm new to Win7, having given up XP64 a few weeks back. XP was stable, Win7 it remains to be seen. Something about it worries me and I really consider this "malware"...

Charter Member 2015
    It's safe...leftover from the upgrade to Win 7. Safe to delete apparently.

http://www.google.ie/search?aq=0&oq=...panther+folder
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I just looked at my directory tree and I have the 'Panther' folder too in my Win 7 Pro set-up so I did some investigating.

Apparently the files in the 'Panther' folder are used during the install phase of either Vista or Win 7 and can be used by experts to de-bug any installation errors which may occur during the install process.

It would appear that it is a legit folder so no need to worry about it. Online reading suggests that the entire folder can be deleted after install but that is at your own risk obviously.

Edit: I see KD beat me to it.
    Larry

I don't have 7 but searching the topic, the consensus is that it is a folder related to Vista. One person wrote..

"...did a google search on "windows/panther" and it turned up a wealth of information. Apparently this is the remaining folder where the log files of the Windows Automated Installation Kit puts it's log files from installing the factory image or OS. It is not virus/mal or spyware in any way. Here is a link where you will find everything you wanted to know about this in excruciating detail "http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-installation-setup/108675-panther-folder-2.html"..."

Doesn't seem to be malware and several posters had deleted it without problems, but I guess it uses insignificant memory and can be left alone too.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Guys, I don't know squat about computer programs but, it looks like you all have this one wrong. I am pretty sure you don't want anything or anyone named "panther" anywhere near your computer. He'll crash anything.....

Romeo-Delta

Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    Guys, I don't know squat about computer programs but, it looks like you all have this one wrong. I am pretty sure you don't want anything or anyone named "panther" anywhere near your computer. He'll crash anything.....

Romeo-Delta
    ROFL..Good point!
    Larry

And what he does not crash, will scare the living daylights out of you.

Think of the hard women photo's that might be lurking in there.....
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Just think of your computer as an F-104, and land it that way. Looking forward to the screenshot.

Members +
    Hear similar complaints..some were tracked to the latest NVIDA Driver...The Post described about what you experience...

here is his Post....

"Normally I pick up and install the latest drivers .
    Although our Flightsimulators are not mentioned, I have this idea that, if it's good for other games, maybe the sims benefit too. Could be just my feeling of being 'up-todate'.

The day before yesterday I installed 295 and everything went wrong. It looked alright, at a certain point the main screen was blinking, telling me 'adjusting' three times, and then the same happened with my secondary screen, 'adjusting', black, 'adjusting', black, 'adjusting', black, 'adjusting', black, 'adjusting', black, .. it didn't stop!
    So cold reset, and my computer started normally but with one screen.
    I went back to the recoverypoint from a few hours earlier and now everything is fine again. Except, I'm, like you, still using 285!

I will give it another try later, after cleaning my computer, defrag and so, maybe that was the problem.

Normally there are no problems, the installer nicely removes the old version and installs the new one. Or I skip this one. I'm not using the other games. '"

I lost my game card,burnt out with the driver I currently use now..285.62...upgraded a new ,latest,game card and alls OK now

Too bad while NVIDA touts the virtues of new drivers,mentioning all the Hot games,there is no recommended advice for our FS Sims....BE AWARE!!....DANGER,DANGER!