The complete GA package?

Thread: The complete GA package?

The complete GA package?

I saw a post recently ask about a good GA plane, so I thought I might start a healthy debate as to which one do you think is "the complete package"...

For my money, I would vote an equal 1st to:
    • Ant's new Eaglet (otherwise it would have been his earlier Sierra, but I like a high-wing for a change!)
    • Classic hangers BF-108
    I find myself sitting in the VC of both of these more often than not!

These aircraft are packaged with many "bells & whistles", but these bells and whistles do a lot more than make noise!
    Just some of my favourite things include (in no particular order) Load managers, vc raindrops (Ant), immaculate gauges that you can easily mouse operate, the best looking GPS in FSX (Ant), a cockpit that you can almost smell the leather and bakelite (CH), operable vents, switchable gauges (both)... well the list goes on!

Don't get me wrong, I love my other planes too; I have a stack of Carenado GA's which are all outstanding but these planes are awesome! Possibly my "style" of flying comes in to this; I tend to have time for just short or medium hops; I love VFR with a real map sprawled out next to me, and I want enough to challenge me (taking in to account my short attention span!)

So... what is your favourite?
    "What do you hear?" "Nothing but the rain!" "Then grab your gun and bring the cat in!" "Boom, boom, boom!"

Of the GA birds in my inventory, I would have to concur with the BF-108...it is very complete. Mathias created a masterpeice with it. It is a beautiful airplane inside and out. The VC is a work of art (reminds me of sitting inside of a beautifully restored vintage Mercedes) and it is very complete with well modelled systems/instruments that are unique to that airplane. Also the plane itself is quite unique, on a ramp or group flight full of Cessnas and Pipers, it stands out. Great performance...short TO/Land distances that compete with bush planes with reasonable cruise speed of about 140kts.

The instruments can be intimidating at first for those unfamiliar with the German style of things but they are very logical and intuitive (easy to learn)...IMO more so than it's western counterparts of the same period. The instruments are very well explained in the aircraft manual. Mathias also added a very nice touch for us westerners who are used to knots and Feet by putting stickies on the gauges that blend in very well. It comes with loadout manager for pax, fuel, and general settings. Options for 'just fly' or realistic mode..ie you must warm it up properly and dont overspeed the prop or consequences......so yes...it is very complete I would say it is just about as good as Accusim, and if A2A does a German plane, I hope they seek Mathias's input.

I hop in a Carenado or RealAir for GA flying now and then too if I want to keep current with the usual GA aircraft systems, proceedures, IFR practice...just for the sake of remembering how to fly those types of planes..etc so when the time to fly again for real comes around, my brain will still remember how to fly a DME arc.

My inventory is full of good planes. For the most part I have enjoyed each one of them, I don't think there are many which I wished I hadn't got.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

the eaglet is great ... put some time into it last night and it flew great. liking it better than the Sierra especially with the high wing. i think this will be my default GA plane from now on.

the GPS is also a work of art, a quick glance through the manual and i was able to figure out how it works. much easier to use than the stock GPS unit. the cockpit looks and works great.

Members who have read this thread: 1