Its official : Super Tucanos for the Us Air Force LAS Program !!!

Thread: Its official : Super Tucanos for the Us Air Force LAS Program !!!

Its official : Super Tucanos for the Us Air Force LAS Program !!!

Its official : Super Tucanos are confirmed for the Us Air Force LAS Program !!!

Embraer wins over the Beechcraft/Ratheon AT-6 Texan II offer !!!
    Read this here :

http://www.aviationnews.eu/2011/12/3...ntract-in-u-s/

Wow !
    :mixedsmi:
    VaporZ

im a "beech fan"..i love the B58 barron,and the kingair family..but have never been a fan of the AT-6II..its just a PC-9/21 in beech clothes,,but ive allways loved the look of the emb 312 or the A-29...just looks "cool"...looks aggresive,and like a "combat" plane should...the LAS is sort of a combat plane...kinda sorta...but the AT-6II just looks like a trainer...

Dose "firm-fixed price delivery order contract" mean the price tag won't quad dropple in a year?
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

$335 million for 20 planes! I really need to open up an aircraft plant.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    $335 million for 20 planes! I really need to open up an aircraft plant.
    You thought FSX aircraft were expensive huh!
    Larry

Personally I think this is a good move. We haven't had this kind of capability since the OV-10 retired(light attack/observation capability). The A-29 is combat proven and very expandable in terms of systems and weapons, especially with the Small Diameter Bomb packages and future JAGM. With the FLIR turret & backseat observer, it can perform real time manned surveillance capability direct/overhead. It was not a big surprise that the Super Tucano beat out the AT-6. It's numbers are simply much better and that was clearly demonstrated. I expect that in time, we can with almost certainty expect to see the aircraft implemented as a replacement (missionwise) for platforms like the AH-64 in higher altitude/mountainous terrain where helicopters are suffer significant limitations in weight/performance that won't affect the A-29. Over time I expect we'll be seeing much more than the original 20 on order now and seeing them in all branches.

And there's already a Super Tucano for FSX
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Yeah, there is, and it's a nice one!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Dose "firm-fixed price delivery order contract" mean the price tag won't quad dropple in a year?
    Yes, Firm Fixed Price is a contract vehicle which delivers set order for set price. There are advantages but there are also disadvantages. The contractor will deliver only what they're asked to deliver. That sounds good, until you want to make modifications later, or your requirement changes. In the case of an order that may take up to a decade to fill.....that's quite a risk.

We run full-fixed price contracts on our manpower at my work. In other words, we area contracting for a capability, not a number of personnel. Sometimes we disagree with the contractor on the number of personnel required to fulfill a capability and there's not a whole lot we can do about it. So, Firm Fixed Price can work, looks good on paper, and briefs well. It can also be a nightmare, penny wise, and pound foolish.

You really are trying to predict the future....not so easy except in hindsight, where everyone's a genius.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Hawker Beechcraft says the U.S. Air Force hasn't given a fair shake to its bid to provide up to 55 airplanes for light air support, and on Tuesday, Hawker said it's taking the argument to federal court. The company said it has asked the Air Force -- twice -- to explain its choice, with no response, and late last week the Government Accountability Office declined Hawker's request to review the decision. The elimination of Hawker's AT-6 single-engine turboprop leaves only Embraer's Super Tocano in contention for the contract, which is worth nearly $1 billion. "We were relying on [the GAO] investigation to provide transparency into what has been a bidding process of inconsistent, irregular and constantly changing requirements," said Bill Boisture, Hawker Beechcraft CEO. "We find ourselves still without answers, which is unacceptable, and continue to believe that our exclusion from this important contract was made without basis in process or fact." Hawker argues that the AT-6 has already been evaluated and proven capable during testing with the Air National Guard, and adds that the contract should go to a U.S. company, helping to preserve 1,400 domestic jobs. The company has posted an AT-6 website where supporters can send letters to congressional representatives and the Department of Defense asking them not to "outsource our jobs and our National Security to Brazil." Embraer has said it will do the final assembly of its Super Tucanos in Jacksonville, Fla., if it gets the contract, employing about 50 people.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by brad kaste View Post
    Hawker Beechcraft says the U.S. Air Force hasn't given a fair shake to its bid to provide up to 55 airplanes for light air support, and on Tuesday, Hawker said it's taking the argument to federal court. The company said it has asked the Air Force -- twice -- to explain its choice, with no response, and late last week the Government Accountability Office declined Hawker's request to review the decision. The elimination of Hawker's AT-6 single-engine turboprop leaves only Embraer's Super Tocano in contention for the contract, which is worth nearly $1 billion. "We were relying on [the GAO] investigation to provide transparency into what has been a bidding process of inconsistent, irregular and constantly changing requirements," said Bill Boisture, Hawker Beechcraft CEO. "We find ourselves still without answers, which is unacceptable, and continue to believe that our exclusion from this important contract was made without basis in process or fact." Hawker argues that the AT-6 has already been evaluated and proven capable during testing with the Air National Guard, and adds that the contract should go to a U.S. company, helping to preserve 1,400 domestic jobs. The company has posted an AT-6 website where supporters can send letters to congressional representatives and the Department of Defense asking them not to "outsource our jobs and our National Security to Brazil." Embraer has said it will do the final assembly of its Super Tucanos in Jacksonville, Fla., if it gets the contract, employing about 50 people.
    I saw this. So again the clear loser is crying foul (like Boeing did in the Tanker contract) and taking the decision to court to get another competition set in placed 100% rigged so the loser can now win. Typical but as always, it's never who makes the best product, it's who can either outbid and/or what the politicians want out of the deal. Such mess is why the Military of the most powerful Nation on Earth has been stuck with one of the worst service rifles ever designed for the last 40+ years.

The Super Tucano won just as the A330 MRTT won fair and square. Not unlike some of our Aircraft winning foreign competitions which are often based on merits of a design and not politics.

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    Problem is..are these defense companies really interested in the US Armed force welfare or they are just in it for the bucks?
    AT-6 is a prototype, if you look at the pictures you can clearly see how inadequate the airframe is..just check Beechīs page..itīs taking off from rough terrain, the main gear is so low and the FLIR is so close to the ground..and itīs not even carrying ordnance..then check the A-29īs with 4 MK82īs and youīll see what iīm talking about.Beechīs product needs a redesign which will cost hundreds of mills to create and then evaluate and the certificate which will give us AT LEAST 4 years before it even sits on an US airbase..while A-29īs are already available and might be ready to do the job in less than a year.
    Anyway...

I have access to some REAL A-29īs..here are some pics:

Prowler

PS: I forgot to add, the A-29 is 80% US made components, the design is Brazilian, but all the avionics, electronics and such, are US made

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler1111 View Post
    Problem is..are these defense companies really interested in the US Armed force welfare or they are just in it for the bucks?
    AT-6 is a prototype, if you look at the pictures you can clearly see how inadequate the airframe is..just check Beechīs page..itīs taking off from rough terrain, the main gear is so low and the FLIR is so close to the ground..and itīs not even carrying ordnance..then check the A-29īs with 4 MK82īs and youīll see what iīm talking about.Beechīs product needs a redesign which will cost hundreds of mills to create and then evaluate and the certificate which will give us AT LEAST 4 years before it even sits on an US airbase..while A-29īs are already available and might be ready to do the job in less than a year.
    Anyway...

I have access to some REAL A-29īs..here are some pics:

Prowler

PS: I forgot to add, the A-29 is 80% US made components, the design is Brazilian, but all the avionics, electronics and such, are US made
    Great points Prowler. I absolutely agree! BTW, I am super jealous of you guy's(FAE) Super Tucano paint jobs! LOL. Also, can the FAE Super Tucano's actually carry those Python 3's?

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I saw this. So again the clear loser is crying foul (like Boeing did in the Tanker contract) and taking the decision to court to get another competition set in placed 100% rigged so the loser can now win. Typical but as always, it's never who makes the best product, it's who can either outbid and/or what the politicians want out of the deal. Such mess is why the Military of the most powerful Nation on Earth has been stuck with one of the worst service rifles ever designed for the last 40+ years.

The Super Tucano won just as the A330 MRTT won fair and square. Not unlike some of our Aircraft winning foreign competitions which are often based on merits of a design and not politics.
    Yep. it is a crazy situation, that's for sure. As you said before, with the A-29 the numbers look better; perhaps more importantly it is an aircraft already in the service of 6 countries and combat proven. I'm sure the AT-6 could well be developed into a fine aircraft, but my understanding is that part of the requirement was for an "off the shelf" aircraft, which it clearly isn't. Sadly I think this one may run & run.
    Andy

What has happened to the American airplane industry...have we loss our initiative and drive to create our own airplanes instead of buying forguien airplanes?

Cheers

Casey

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Great points Prowler. I absolutely agree! BTW, I am super jealous of you guy's(FAE) Super Tucano paint jobs! LOL. Also, can the FAE Super Tucano's actually carry those Python 3's?
    Yup, original ST are rigged for "Piranhas"AIM which are based in the AIM-9G, but FAE instead rigged them for Phyton III missiles, and currently (that i know of) they are intending to rig them for Phyton IV which is basically FAEīs main IR/AIM

Best regards

Prowler

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by casey jones View Post
    What has happened to the American airplane industry...have we loss our initiative and drive to create our own airplanes instead of buying forguien airplanes?

Cheers

Casey
    well lets face it, sure the planes are good, but the cost just goes out of control, there constantly delayed, stuff always needs fixing, lawsuits to get the contract requirements changed to make the looser the winner etc etc etc. Theres a distinctive lack of "heres a plane, it does X,Y and Z and will cost exactly $XX for XX amount of aircraft, its ready to go and combat proven, you can have em by the end of year", its all prototypes, advanced designs, concepts etc, which whilst they may be really good on paper, aint even built half the time, are a lot more expensive, will be delayed, and wont be ready for 5-10 years. You have to ask yourself, at the end of the day would you rather have an airforce with combat proven forigen built planes, or no airforce at all cos all the contracts have been terminated due to cost and overruns?
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by casey jones View Post

Cheers

Casey
    OK, maybe I'm missing something here. Back in 2009 Air Force Materiel Command chief Gen. Donald J. Hoffman said "In an attempt to speed up the aircraft acquisition process, the service will likely select an in-production platform, at least for initial buys"; more recently it was stated explicitly that the requirement required a non-developmental solution - the AT-6 is plainly not a non-developmental solution.

So the initiative & drive is there to create the airplanes; but in this instance a quick fix is needed, proven solution rather than proposed (and likely very good) solution that may encounter problems.
    Andy

Members who have read this thread: 0