Sopwith Snipe Reborn

Thread: Sopwith Snipe Reborn

Sopwith Snipe Reborn

The newest aircraft to roll out of the Vintage Aviator shop. This company, which produces exact reproductions and restorations of WWI aircraft and aero-engines, was founded and is run by famed film-maker, Peter Jackson.

http://forum.planetalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=10526

Last week they rolled out their Fokker D.VIII exact reproduction, that is powered by an exact reproduction of an Oberursel rotary engine, all produced in-house.

http://forum.planetalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=10518

The Vintage Aviator has given birth to some of the most original and rarest WWI aircraft flying today, and has contributed in large part to the large population of WWI aircraft flying in New Zealand. If you have never seen their website, or haven't checked it out in a while, please do so (it continues to blow my mind, every time I look through it, and all that they've done and are doing): http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

For an extensive air-to-air look at The Vintage Aviator's WWI aircraft, scroll over the "Galleries" text at the top of this page, and find "WW1 Fighters Air to Air (TVAL)" for a great many photo galleries of their aircraft in-flight: http://capphotography.ifp3.com/

To put it simply, if you want to see the best displays of WWI aircraft, you have to go to New Zealand.

(Edit: Link added above)
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

I've been watching this one for a while, but missed the fact it had actually flown - magical!!

Those guys are doing amazing work down in New Zealand; if Peter Jackson wants to split The Hobbit into two parts to help find the work, he'll get no arguments from me!!
    Andy

Brilliant! I need to get back down to Omaka, home of Classic Fighters!
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

SOH-CM-2024
    That means there'll likely be a 1/32 Wingnut model of the Snipe soon.

Caz

Charter Member 2011
    Yes they just keep plugging away...built from the original plans, often in the same way as the originals.
    So they are totally authentic.
    It must be a bit scary to take one up for the first time, I'd say.
    Gavin Conroy also keeps plugging away, uniquely positioned to photograph this (and other) aviation history in the (re)making.

I'll definitely hop over to Blenheim for next year's Classic Fighters!

The one I'm really waiting on is Jerry Yagen's Mosquito, but things seem to have gone awfully quiet.
    Andy

Charter Member 2011
    Yes it was thought it might fly over Easter this year.
    But work carries on, I'm told.
    There's a veritable Mossie production line in NZ: Glyn Powell is working on NZ2308 as well.

Thanks for the links John. First pictures I have seen of the Snipe apart from it in the background of TV news article of another Peter Jackson purchase (the orginal Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - obviously more important in the eyes of the news team!).

One day hopefully I wil get to see more of the massive WW1 collection. Bit sad that I live here I have only seen one of the Neiuports and the Camel.

The Mosquito is still been worked on but the team now have another Mosquito (that now makes 3 under restoration in NZ) and are also busy on a Spitfire Mark XIV rebuild (ex Tim Wallis) for the Chariot of Fire Collection so their workload maybe diverted.

The restoration of Yagen's Mosquito has definitely not gone quiet. The only reason it may seem so, is that the common theme in just about any warbird restoration, especially that of one as complex and 'new' as Jerry Yagen's Mosquito under rebuild at Avspecs, is that the last 10% of the work, takes 90% of the time. Obviously this isn't specifically accurate, but very close to it. In many warbird restorations, you'll usually arrive at what looks to be an almost finished aircraft, about a year before it really is.

The latest update that Avspecs has posted to their Facebook page, which was made back in the first week of October, is that of a video showing the Mosquito's hydraulic systems being tested, with the bomb bay doors, main landing gear doors, and tail wheel all functioning. The plan towards the end of 2010 was to have the aircraft completed and flying at Omaka this past spring, and then travel to the UK for the air show season there, before coming to the U.S. towards the end of summer...I'm curious to hear/see if they will carry through with similar plans for next year, if the restoration is completed in time - with perhaps a display at the Warbirds Over Wanaka show before leaving New Zealand.

As Naki mentions, another Mosquito is also awaiting rebuild to airworthy at Avspecs as well. This second airframe is owned by Paul Allen/The Flying Heritage Collection, and is actually a rather complete airframe, unlike what Avspecs had to start with on Yagen's, but since the wood is all original, it will likely have to have a new-build fuselage/wings, as Yagen's Mosquito has. It will be amazing a number of years down the road, when we can sit and comprehend that there are 3-4 complete airworthy Mosquitos in the world (there is one under restoration in Canada right now as well).

These photos come from Avspecs' May and June updates on Yagen's Mosquito, so although they do not show the current level of completion, they do show what had been accomplished up until that point. Back in September Avspecs put out a request, for help in finding two spinner backing-plates for the Mosquito, and as part of the bargain, anyone who could find two of the backing plates would be given a ride in the Mosquito when completed! I haven't heard if these backing plates have yet to be sourced or not, or if they have/willl be just making them in-shop. These photos really show the compexity of such a restoration, but also the depth of fine and authentic detail work that Avspecs is known for.

Both engines installed, and starboard-side landing gear legs being fitted.

Original cowling panels being test-fitted before further work on them.

Engine controls.

Placards, and more placards.

One of the overhauled propellers waiting to be installed.

Thanks John, those updates slipped by me (been a touch preoccupied). Good news all around.
    Andy

Members who have read this thread: 0