Thor's Hammer FSX Freeware "Rafale Marine" ! October 1st ! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thor's Hammer FSX Freeware "Rafale Marine" ! October 1st !

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Merci vonstroheim, worked like champ:salute:

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    By the way... for an ignorant American... what does "loo" originate from... you said a longer word?...
    According to wikipedia...

The origin of the (chiefly British) term loo is unknown. According to the OED, the etymology is obscure, but it might derive from the word Waterloo. The first recorded entry is in fact from James Joyce's Ulysses (1922): "O yes, mon loup. How much cost? Waterloo. Watercloset".

Other theories are:

That it derives from the term "gardyloo" (a corruption of the French phrase gardez l'eau (or maybe: Gare de l'eau!) loosely translated as "watch out for the water!") which was used in medieval times when chamber pots were emptied from a window onto the street. However the first recorded usage of "loo" comes long after this term became obsolete.

That the word comes from nautical terminology, loo being an old-fashioned word for lee. The standard nautical pronunciation (in British English) of leeward is looward. Early ships were not fitted with toilets but the crew would urinate over the side of the vessel. However it was important to use the leeward side. Using the windward side would result in the urine blown back on board: hence the phrases 'pissing into the wind' and 'spitting into the wind'. Even now most yachtsmen refer to the loo rather than the heads.

That the word derives from the 17th century preacher Louis Bourdaloue. Bourdaloue's sermons at the Saint Paul-Saint Louis Church in Paris lasted at least three hours and myth has it that wealthier ladies took along "travelling" chamber pots that could be hidden under their dresses whenever the need arose to avoid the need to leave. Due to the popularity of the myth the bowls became known as Bourdaloues after the preacher and the name became corrupted to portaloos and sometimes just plain loos due to the habit of shortening words in slang.
    You asked. By the way, OED is Oxford English Dictionary if anyone is wondering.

Now, back to airplanes and FSX shall we?
    :ernae:

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Try this...

I've been told that going through my website seems to avoid the nasty malware. So follow the links
    from the October 1 entry on the "What's New" page. That will take you to the Rafale listing page and
    from there to the FAF site. And from there to the download page. A long trip but hopefully worth it.

I also added a "Direct" link to the megaupload page to save a step.

Hope this helps.
    Hi fsafranek

Found the direct megaupload link broken, indicating error about file removed etc etc. Just to let you and others know if they click on the "direct" link. I followed the longer route to get to the file.

Regards

Members +

Broken links for Rafale

Also found the link on Mirage4FS, for the rafale_brasil livery also broken under Rafale page.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by screwbottle View Post
    Also found the link on Mirage4FS, for the rafale_brasil livery also broken under Rafale page.

Regards
    The file on megaupload has been taken down but you can now get the file on the FAF website now.

http://www.frenchairforce.fr/download.php?view.229

There was a typo on the Brazil camo link. That should be working now. But if not, come back later and try again. The server sometimes seems to take awhile for changes to work.

Being brazilian, that paintjob is just... wrong. Is there a paintkit?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    Being brazilian, that paintjob is just... wrong. Is there a paintkit?
    Yea I know, based on previous and current Brazilian schemes it isn't typical. It was possibly inspired by the image below that I found on the internet sometime somewhere. Photoshop no doubt but a dang good job on the camo at least. There is no paint kit.

Attachment 50273

Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamsky View Post
    Still wrong! Trade that light olive green for some medium gray, write things on the right place and then we're close.

Stefano, attach a picture if you could. There are a considerable number of talented people around here that could make that happen.

Regards, Tom
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

This scheme is used on pretty much everything and will probably be used on the rafale/superbug/gripen NG when the politicians finaly sort it out. This is the low penetration scheme, used on the AMX.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    This scheme is used on pretty much everything and will probably be used on the rafale/superbug/gripen NG when the politicians finaly sort it out. This is the low penetration scheme, used on the AMX.
    Something like this then?

Attachment 50302

Something like this then?
    Indeed, something like that.:salute:

Great addon.

One of the all-time best looking models for FSX...superb.

Hooked it up with the default F18 VC ...no dramas after hex-edit of the mdl to 'hide' the nav light.
    Added the usual...sonic boom, wing vapour, gun effects ...then started messing with 'setup' such as a 'common' texture file...to make it easier to see which graphics need modding to 'play' with alternate markings....
    One oddity appears as if the 'tread' on the nosegear isn't painting right... got a white 'edge' to the tread area...and it's otherwise blank black.

If I get eager I'll create a 2D pit [usually I rig them from a screen-cap of the 3D so the switch is more seamless]...

Terrific work from Thor's Hammer, though, so far....

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    If I get eager I'll create a 2D pit [usually I rig them from a screen-cap of the 3D so the switch is more seamless]...
    In the meantime there are a couple Rafale 2D panels on my website.
    Good for background artwork at a minimum.
    Use the side menu to go direct to them.

Please share your other mods as well.

Rafale FX-2 Brazilian Air Force

I made some spare time to work on a Brazilian Air Force (FAB - Força Aérea Brasileira) scheme as an alternate to the one by Martial Feron. This one wears green and gray based on the tactical scheme currently worn by FAB aircraft. The unit markings are of the 1º Grupo de Defesa Aérea (1º GDA – 1st Air Defence Group) at Anápolis AFB (SBAN). FX-2 is the current designation for the next generation combat aircraft for Brazil. The aircraft serial number and FX-2BR designation are just guesses.

These should be available here for download later today. This texture set requires the v2.2 update, otherwise the tail will look weird.

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!! Thanks!
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Gee, that's an awesome paint. Accurate too. Thank you millions.

So if anyone wants to fly this in Brazil, this should improve the experience, since the original fsx terrain mesh is just rubbish.

Repaint Kit Available

Bruno Mérelle (Thor's Hammer) has released a repaint kit for aspiring Rafale repainters. I (and others) went over with him what was needed at a minimum for a kit and so he has made individual wireframe images in JPG format of the textures that are modified during a change of livery.

This is not the type of layered kit you get sometimes with payware releases but it is what developers and those of us who paint for commercial add-on developers start out with. At a minimum they will be very useful for figuring out what is covered on each texture file.

You can download if from his blog here: http://lenclume-de-mjolnir.blogspot.com/.
    Just click on the ">>>>> Paintkit <<<<<" link at the top of his latest post.

In case folks don't want to download the 14 individual texture files I have zipped them up into a single file.

Mr Frank, just if you want to get your brazilian livery more accurate, in the text "FORÇA AÉREA BRAZILEIRA" the correct is "BRASILEIRA". Brazil with a "z" is only for foreign people. Here, Brasil is with a "s". :ernae:
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -

Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    Mr Frank, just if you want to get your brazilian livery more accurate, in the text "FORÇA AÉREA BRAZILEIRA" the correct is "BRASILEIRA". Brazil with a "z" is only for foreign people. Here, Brasil is with a "s". :ernae:
    Thanks. I was thinking about that yesterday. I'll have a look and fix it. :salute:

I made some spare time to work on a Brazilian Air Force (FAB - Força Aérea Brasileira) scheme as an alternate to the one by Martial Feron. This one wears green and gray based on the tactical scheme currently worn by FAB aircraft. The unit markings are of the 1º Grupo de Defesa Aérea (1º GDA – 1st Air Defence Group) at Anápolis AFB (SBAN). FX-2 is the current designation for the next generation combat aircraft for Brazil. The aircraft serial number and FX-2BR designation are just guesses.

These should be available here for download later today. This texture set requires the v2.2 update, otherwise the tail will look weird.

Very nice work
    but
    I think Piglet's A29 has the best accurate colors
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Brazi...833d78bf3608cf

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by Hanimichal View Post
    Very nice work but I think Piglet's A29 has the best accurate colors
    Yea, maybe I'll revisit this another time. Fade the green a bit and also go back to the subdued ejection seat triangles and rescue arrows I had originally applied. In the meantime, here is an update to fix for my foreignication :redf: of "Brasileira".

http://www.mirage4fs.com/aircraft/ra...X-2_Update.zip

Thanks for the fix! :salute:

For those who have been unable to download this VC-less but otherwise beautiful rendering of the Rafale it is once more available exclusively from the Virtual French Air Force website.

Instructions for adding a VC from another aircraft are provided on the first few pages of this thread.

There have been several repaints already. All that I'm aware of are listed on my website. (Please let me know if you are aware of others!)

And if anyone is interested in painting this one there is a paint kit available on the author's blog site.

Members who have read this thread: 8