Air Show at Freeman Field in 1945

Thread: Air Show at Freeman Field in 1945

Air Show at Freeman Field in 1945

Just got this in an email. Pretty darned cool.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1723870789084
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Wow. That is a dream airshow with all those rare axis aircraft. Loved seeing the Ju-290 roll in. Note the B-32 Dominator as well.

Moses

Wow, I was just there in July. Sadly none of the aircraft in the video are there, even the small museum was closed. This now quiet airfield had quite a past.

A little history and rumors of buried German aircraft...http://www.indianamilitary.org/Freem...FF_museum.html

The Freeman Field Mutiny...http://www.nps.gov/pwso/honor/tuskegee.htm

The museum hasn't been "open" for some years now, however, some of the old timers who put it together (and were directly involved in the dig) still get together there on most weekends for coffee and shoot the breeze.

IF you can get there when they're there, they will usually let you in and give you a private tour. If you bring donuts you can be sure of it. Looking through what they dug up and listening to how they discovered the missing aircraft is interesting.

Did you check out the pictures on their Facebook page? Make sure you have a box of tissues,some of these shots will make you tear up. The 290 was scrapped, they blew it up................

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Freema...984890?sk=wall

Betcha most of the folks at the air show were more familiar with the ex-Luftwaffe aircraft than they were with that B-32.

Exclamation The museum at Freeman Field is open!

Several posts below suggest that the Freeman Army Air Field Museum located on the Freeman Municipal Airport in Seymour, IN is closed. That is not correct.

I'm the President of the museum, and have been for several years. The museum is open every Saturday morning from 9:00 to noon (except national holiday weekends), and pretty much any other time by request. Call the airport manager's office, 812-522-2031, during normal business hours to gain access. The airport secretary, Diane, will track down one of us 9 volunteer directors and we will be glad to open up and take you through. We recently opened a second building and now have our 1942 Ford/American LaFrance fire truck and a Link Trainer (flight simulator) on display there.

Thank you for your interest in our museum.

Excellent! Great interest and wow factors there.

The one thing that stood out was how generally skinny everyone was, even with layers of clothing.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Excellent! Great interest and wow factors there.

The one thing that stood out was how generally skinny everyone was, even with layers of clothing.
    Hey Milton,.....maybe food rationing was still going on.........( or persons ate more sensibly back then) I was surprised to see the V1 and V2 rockets being displayed. I wonder too if any of the numerous German aircraft being displayed,....from the Komet to a helicopter,.....were eventually junked or exist in some museum some place today.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

More than likely the "skinny"people were a result of being fit and having a more active life style, though food rationing was another possible result during this time period. In the 60s when I was growing up an overweight kid, ok, honestly back then we called them fat, was rare, I cant remember a fat kid in the entire radius of my area of operation as a kid. Now of course its completely different and fat, oh excuse me,have to be politically correct now, overweight kids are the norm and are protected under the disguise of more tolerant society as being obese which has been elevated to the status of a disease. But not to worry, to offset the outlandish cost of medical treatment you can sue McDonalds or whatever other fast food company you deem responsible for putting you in this situation. And remember its not your fault, everybody else caused your troubles.

As far as the A/C some were shipped off to various museums/air bases, or destroyed or buried at Freeman Field. The last Fw190 that Priller flew was destroyed in a crash at Freeman.

Quote Originally Posted by lbothe View Post
    Several posts below suggest that the Freeman Army Air Field Museum located on the Freeman Municipal Airport in Seymour, IN is closed. That is not correct.

I'm the President of the museum, and have been for several years. The museum is open every Saturday morning from 9:00 to noon (except national holiday weekends), and pretty much any other time by request. Call the airport manager's office, 812-522-2031, during normal business hours to gain access. The airport secretary, Diane, will track down one of us 9 volunteer directors and we will be glad to open up and take you through. We recently opened a second building and now have our 1942 Ford/American LaFrance fire truck and a Link Trainer (flight simulator) on display there.

Thank you for your interest in our museum.
    Larry, welcome to the Outhouse! I think you'll find the fans here supportive and sympathetic so if you need anything, it's a place to ask. The Thread got ME interested (still have 5 tabs open with associated stuff -including the local real estate listings - Hopefully I'll get down that way this winter/spring. Please drop a post in here if there's an upcoming fly-in/show.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein