Turbo Gauges?

Thread: Turbo Gauges?

Turbo Gauges?

Bearcat,

"…that you create a dummy gauge". That’s the direction I’m headed but I felt it only proper to I ask. Too bad it’s a no go.

At present I have the turbo rpm needle being a function of both altitude and throttle. This way when you cut the throttle the turbo rpm drops as it should. I had not thought of the mixture issue. Would engine rpm be better? There’s also a torque stuff in the SDK.

I don’t know a thing about air files but as far as gauges I do know (thank you Moparmike) that some things which are in the game never made it into the panel SDK (gauges.h). Perhaps you are also correct with "…another small example of the design team's unfinished business".

To my approach to date:

To get this one to work I needed a model (algebra). With altitude and throttle ( or rpm or whatever.) a surface in 3D space is needed. Per my assumptions at the time I knew 4 points - the 4 corners. The 4 corners where …

`````````````````````Optimum Turbo Rpm

````````````````Altitude 0 feet`````` Altitude 32,000 feet
    `````````````
    ----------------------|---------------------|
    Throttle 0% ``| `````` 0.0 ````````````````` 0.0 ```````|
    ```````````` |``````````````````````````````````````|
    Throttle 100% | ````` 7200 `````````````` 22,000 ``1```|
    `````````````----------------------|---------------------|

(ignore the "`" characters - still having trouble posting)

I made a sketch and realized it was hopelessly non-linear (a plane won’t do even as an approximation). After a bit of thought I hit opon the following equation …

Turbo Rpm = K1 * Altitude * Throttle + K2 * Throttle

… where K1 and K2 are some constants. This model is not the correct one - I just found it by some mental gymnastics. I liked it because it does give the correct answer’s at the four corners and is reasonable in-between. Bearcat - it does not address the start altitude issue (7000 ft?) but it was a place to start.

Oh yes - the only P-47D Turbo data I have found is at http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/p-47.html

Not sure anybody wanted to read this last bit but there it is.

Great stuff Bearcat,
    AC

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Cat View Post
    ...Great stuff Bearcat
    Indeed it is, and thanks for that super-informative link too!

OK, bottom line: decompile an exisiting MP gauge, look inside and recompile it with its face painted as a turbo boost gauge. Since we know that turbo boost, WEP and all throttle motions affect the MP measurements in sim and in reality, just create a masquerading MP gauge and let ride. The sim already has existing dynamic connections between WEP, throttle, mixture and mainfold pressure (it even displays OAT and carburetor air temp via gauges), so why waste time reinventing the wheel. Just repaint it, rename it and give it a new faux function.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Thanks BC – let me sift through it all. I may go with something like the above as it does seem good enough, at least for now. I don’t want do miss the Captain’s deadline.

Interesting point on the MP gauge - I would love to see the algebra. BTW, decompiling – I have always stayed away from that.

AC

Members who have read this thread: 0