RAZBAM Proudly presents
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: RAZBAM Proudly presents

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there

RAZBAM Proudly presents

RAZBAM Convair F/A-201A Kestrel

Attachment 47205

The Convair F/A-201A is the first aircraft of our "What-If" lineup. These are aircrafts that never left the design stage, but are interesting enough for us to see how they handled.

The Convair F/ A-201 was the proposal put forward by Convair under the designation COnvair 201. It was based on an earlier proposal for an “Advanced F-106”. It was designed with a single Pratt & Whitney JTF22A-30A/F100-PW-220 engine and its most striking feature was the inclusion of canard fins.

There were to be both land-based and carrier-based aircraft. Also they proposed to make a VSTOL version with two lift engines and a vectored nozzle for the main one. In another first, this aircraft was designed with a fly-by-wire system to help control it

In 1975 the U.S. Navy decided to select a derivative of the YF-17, the loser of the U.S: Air Force Lightweight Fighter (LWF) Aircraft competition which resulted in the F-16. The YF-17 was converted into the F/A-18 Hornet and the Convair 201 proposal never went beyond the model stage

The RAZBAM Convair F/A-201A Kestrel for FSX includes the following amazing features and innovative functions :

Highly detailed exterior and interior models,

Interior and Panel

very comprehensive representation of cockpit systems which include:

AFCS (Autopilot)
    Tactical Navigation Computer
    Detailed and comprehensive navigation instruments
    Faithfull representation of the HSI gauge
    Radar with up to 5 modes representations within FSX limits(Air Intercept, Airt-to-Ground Tracking, Ground Map with 2 modes and Nav Beacon mode)
    A 1st generation LED based MFD with several modes, allowing a complete control of the aircraft.
    Armament panel, with working armament stations, selection, weapon delivery modes , quantity selection in 2 different modes select the amount of ordance to fall per trigger switch, and then again, you can select the amount AND make them fall in pairs or single sequences
    Detailed representation of the aircraft�s HUD.
    Detailed electrical and hydraulic systems and panels
    Detailed fuel panel
    Detailed cockpit and exterior lights
    Detailed Armament Station Control Unit (ASCU)
    Accurate weapon loadouts controlled by the ASCU

Exterior features:
    Highly detailed exterior representation of F/A-201A which include:
    Working carrier catapult shuttle
    Working Tail hook
    Accurate external loadouts controled by the ASCU
    Dropable ordnance in free flights with multiple ordnance release options
    Working 20 mm M61 VUlcan Cannon.
    Missiles and rockets can be launched (although they are not guided).
    Accurate aircraft lights

Accurate and highly detailed paint schemes.

Paint Schemes
    VF-31 Tomcatters
    VF-84 Jolly Rogers
    VF-111 Sundowners
    VF-161 Chargers
    VFA-86 Sidewinders
    VF-102 Diamondbacks
    VMFA-232 Red Devils
    VMFA-232 Red Devils
    F/A-201J "Ryuu" JASDF 83rd Air Wing (Okinawa)

Extensive documentation and Manual in PDF format

USD 22.00

Convair F/A-201 Kestrel

Blog Entries
    Just a word from the number cruncher here, and well, a bit of an apology as reality is in this case with this plane, far stranger than fiction. When we were building this, we learned that it was slated to have used the same engine thats in an F-15 Eagle. Thats 30000 pounds of thrust in a 17000 pound plane. I dont know if The gents at Razbam have changed it back or not, but i intentionally de-rated the engine to 18000 pounds in order to give you a more controllable and realistic flight envelope. The 2:1 thrust weight ratio of the planned engine was excessive beyond belief. In the time that was available to me, i worked as closely as was possible with Razbam to bring you as enjoyable a flying experience as possible, and i sincerely hope that you find as much fun in flying it, as I had in helping make it..
    Always..
    Pam
    Jade Island Flight Test Center

Very interesting looking.

Blog Entries
    The forward wing is fixed except for the flaps located on its trailing edge. This provides the plane with a lifting surface that extends over 75% of the aircrafts length. This gives the plane extremely good stability, while providing for higher maneuverability than a conventionally designed aircraft.
    Over all, the handling of the aircraft lies in between an F/A-18 and a Eurofighter. I personally find it delightful to fly. It will thrust ( not fly, thrust ) itself above its operational cieling, though nowhere near as high as in the photo below any more ( which was taken during initial setup, but i thought was pretty cool.. ). After that, you will fall, out of control for several thousand feet till you reach its operational ceiling, at which time you can begin to regain control ( if your good ) and have a nice flight home..
    it really is a very unique and fun aircraft to fly..
    Pam

Attachment 47206Attachment 47207

Hey Pam, any chance the insane can get that uprated engine?

Blog Entries
    :::LOL::: Buy the plane and fly it, then see if you still want that uprated engine.. I guarantee its got PLENTY of excitement with its 1.12:1 thrust to weight ratio.. Heyy,, you guys know i wouldnt lie.. I'm not making anything off this plane, just really enjoyed working on it because its a really fun plane. I also have to admit that I am not the only person with their fingers in the FDE jar.. A gentleman Named Phineas did much of the work. All I did was polish it up and make it presentable.. .. He did pretty good..
    Pam

If it has a VC can we see some shots of that please?
    Nothing here or on the purchase page.
    :ernae:

Looks great however I thought the kestrel had it's intake above the fuselage??
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

I just finished downloading although I won't be able to fly it for a couple more hours; I'm sure i want both engines Pam

Charter Member 2011
    fsafranek If it has a VC can we see some shots of that please?
    Nothing here or on the purchase page.
    Sorry for that, the usual SNAFU´s when something is released, will have the gallery in a few minutes
    For some pics, check here

Also, for you repaint artists, there is quite an interesting contest

Don´t forget to join our Facebook group, where you can even chat with me

Best regards

Prowler

Quote Originally Posted by simkid22 View Post
    Hey Pam, any chance the insane can get that uprated engine?
    That engine will take make a clean Kestrel climb like a rocket in full afterburner. We had to tone it down. That thing could take you over 50K+ feet before losing sustentation.

Now, well you can reach 35K+ before stalling.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    :salute:VF-111 Sundowners, Will put this on my buy list for Friday. Thank you Razbam.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

This looks like a Hawker Harrier mixed in with a Mirage 3 or Super Entendard!

Bery interesting!

Sascha

Quote Originally Posted by peter12213 View Post
    Looks great however I thought the kestrel had it's intake above the fuselage??
    Convair's idea was a souped-up F-106.

Attachment 47215

Convair also considered a bewildering range of F-106 follow-ons, the most ambitious featuring twin General Electric J93 turbojets, as used on the North American XB-70 Valkyrie experimental bomber, which would have given the F-106 Mach 3 performance. There was also consideration of an "Advanced F-106" with a single engine, either a J75 derivative or alternative powerplant, featuring canard fins, with both land-based and carrier-based versions considered, the carrier-based version having folding wings. Of course, none of these F-106 follow-ons went beyond the model stage.
    It was detective work finding any relevant data on this aircraft. The F-15 engine was selected for the US Navy VFX contest that was canceled in favor of the YF-17 that later became the F-18.

Rafale or Eurofighter too!

Very interesting!

Sascha

I love the view from the cockpit and the overall model, but where are the fuel tanks on that thing?

Attachment 47216

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post

Bery interesting!

Sascha
    Selecting the flying characteristics was very important.

We looked at:
    - Kfir, which is basically a Mirage 3 with canards.
    - Mirage 2000, discarded early on because the canards are too small.
    - Saab Viggen
    - Eurofighter Typhoon.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOJackson View Post
    I love the view from the cockpit and the overall model, but where are the fuel tanks on that thing?

Attachment 47216
    We asked the same thing.
    That version was not selected because it is impractical.

Darn I overlooked this thread!! Even started one of my own.... wich could be discarded

But one thing....she's a real joy to fly!

Cheers,
    Hank

Blog Entries
    the fuel tanks sit directly in front of the engine between the intake tunnels..

Lightbulb

Do you get the VTOL model too?
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Closer to a Viggen than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    the fuel tanks sit directly in front of the engine between the intake tunnels..
    Thanks. So is the first of a series of "almost" aircraft?

Charter Member 2011
    So is the first of a series of "almost" aircraft?
    This is an experiment we are making, it all depends on the financial feasibility of projects like this.We made a fully functional (NAV computer, HSI, radios, Fly by Wire, HUD, arming stations, working weapons in free flight and a long etc) add on, priced it well bellow others which are not even close in functionality and see what happens.If it hits, it hits, and you´ll see more of these often, if it doesn´t, well, you´ll see more of these in longer time periods.

Bottom line, it´s a fun add on, have fun with it :-)

Best regards

Prowler

A couple of FYI's.

First, when they selected the F-100 engine in the 70's, it wasn't rated for 30,000lbs thrust back then. I think it was rated at around 25,000 lbs thrust at the time and even then, they "de-tune" them to increase service life. Still, even at around 23000 lbs of thrust, you're looking at incredible performance.

Second, Peter, the plane that was a V/STOL with the dorsal inlet was a Rockwell design. Or at least their design from that time period had a dorsal inlet. It also had a V-Tail. If that's the plane you're thinking of, which you can see in the following link

Rockwell VSTOL Fighters

You should note, the second pic in the first post isn't a Rockwell design, it's a Northrop VATOL design.

OK, now I have to get this...

Members who have read this thread: 14