How to Add Static Planes to Carriers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Add Static Planes to Carriers?

How to Add Static Planes to Carriers?

We have static models of most common USN and IJN planes with wings folded to add to carriers but there are no instructions as how to add them. When I tried to add them to the ships, the ships just sailed away from underneath them. Can anyone help out on this please? it would add greatly to the realism of task forces to have the planes on deck, they just look silly with nothing on board ....

thanks for any help on this.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Planes on Deck

From the B24 Guy Files:

Carrier Multi-Aircraft Take Off Tutorial.

This process will place a virtual runway over the flight deck of the aircraft carrier, and allow wingmen or groups of AI aircraft, to populate or take off, from the carrier deck.

To make things easy, I created a new airbase in the airbase.dat file, (located in the CFS2\INFO folder.).

1. Create entry in airbase.dat file.

(You can have more then one just increase xxx numbers and change name)

Here is Data for the Airbases.dat file. Fill in the XXX with the next numbers in sequence and do not delete the little square eof marker.

[runway.xxx]
    id=xxxx
    name=Fake runway one
    heading=40
    allegiance=0
    units_across=1
    base_lat=N6* 8.70'
    base_lon=E135* 4.68'
    base_alt=+64
    takeoff_start_pos=28,0
    takeoff_stop_pos=1600,200
    landing_start_pos=5000,350
    landing_touchdown_pos=5,0
    landing_stop_pos=150,0

2. Build mission with yourself taking off from carrier.(Start with two wingmen)
    (Make sure starting speed of carrier is zero.)

(Try to make the starting heading of the Carrier either North, South, East ,or West.)

This will make things easier when you decide to advance from here.

3. Fly mission, PAUSE, then Hit Shift-Z, and write down starting info. IE- lat, lon, alt, heading.

4. Exit mission Builder.

5. Edit the new "Fake runway one" airbase entry that you placed in the "airbase.dat" file. (use data from step 3)

6. Restart mission builder and load mission.

7. Change takeoff from "Name of Carrier" to "Fake runway one" airbase.

8. Save and Exit

9. Enjoy

Note: If the carrier speed is greater than 20 knts. your wingmen will start their takeoff roll as soon as you start your engine.

B24Guy

P.S. I some how left out the allegiance=0 section of the airbase entry. I hope this has not caused anyone any problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is from an ANCIENT pre-SOH crash file - see if it works for your purposes !
    SC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

wow thanks, i had no idea this was the way to do it, i was expecting some way to harden the deck to attach objects...if this will allow one to populate the ship with a full deck load of planes that is what i am seeking indeed.

so this new runway established on the ship will move with it no matter how it turns?

and can one dispose the wing men in a formation such as fore and aft so as to locate say up to 15 to 20 planes in rows somehow? that is my goal....to set up planes as they were disposed underway from base to action....but thanks so much for this, another intriguing aspect of CFS2:salute:

Admin

SOH-CM-2013

Exclamation Twilight Zone

Hi Chris;

Don't shoot the messenger - I haven't had the need to even TRY this technique.

In my Freshman days of SOH CFS2 [
    Lurker, Junior Classman] I copied Almost EVERYTHING that the more learned members of our Basement ever suggested for future reference. A lot of it is waiting for me to compile some Winter when I can't get out past the snow mountain in my driveway... There are others here with better compilations, BTW - I just happened to answer first.

This one just happened to catch my eye the other week and I remembered it when you asked. When it works [and, since the advice came from The B24 Guy, I have no doubt it will] please do us all a favor and
    DOCUMENT THE PROCESS for reporting here so that we can all share in the knowledge ?

Thanks and good flying !

SC

OK thanks and no i did not mean at all to threaten the messenger lol...i am eager to try it, i will trot out some of my carriers and try it out soon and promise to report back.

I am hopeful indeed...thanks again and thanks for keeping copies of things...it helps a LOT.:salute:
    Admin

I did have some older info on this and have set it up in the past. The reason why they are staying put is because you have to place the aircraft in the same position on deck from WAYPOINT TO WAYPOINT. Then they will move with the carrier.

ah? so you have to go in at each way point and place them again? that makes sense....thanks a lot of sharing that.
    Admin

Yep...that's 1 trick I can remember...fried my brain on this sort of stuff years ago.

OK, wer have them moving from place to place with the carrier but how about aircraft takingoff before and after you do and landing before and after you do?
    BOB EDWARDS

You have to understand the CFS2 AI inorder to command them.

Why walk when you can ride

It is not what CFS2 is doing but what it looks like it is doing that counts

I never got around to that B. I just set up my own little practice attack loaded carrier mission. Just had a stack of aeroplanes on deck so I could try dropping some bombs in the middle of them...they really go off to, from what I can remember.

Can someone explane in more detail how you get the AI aircraft set on the carrier deck and then move then on the carrier so that they stay in the same position as the carrier moves.I can take The B24 Guys static aircraft and jack them up to the hight of the carrier deck,but getting them to move along with the carrier and stay parked on the deck but still move with the carrier is impossible. The reason is that when using the MB, unless you edit the mission file, has a minimum airspeed and alt.Thies are different for each plane type.In the MB the lowest I have ever been able to get them is 56ft. at about 120kts when building a mission.The problem is you can`t in the MB slow the AI aircraft down slow enough to match the speed of the carrier or bring the AI aircraft low enough to put them on the carrier deck using the MB when building a mission.I sure would like to find a fix for this problem.
    BOB EDWARDS

I remember you do have to text edit the 'mis' file with something like notepad. Been checking through my old achives for the instructions but can't find them. Attached is a mis file I set up for the "A6M2_zero_Static"....only 1 plane loaded on deck in this one. Seperate 'aircraft' folder for this zero.

Edit: Don't think this particular file works right.

I belive there is a way it can be done but I would need someone that can work with air and ship files inorder to test my idea. if my idea works then you don`t have to edit any files.
    BOB EDWARDS

See if you can get your head around this mis file in the achives here. You need to make some new folders from existing planes and rename the folders(follow the file names in the mis file for each 'unit'. Zip name "fulldeck.zip"

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&FileType=cfs 2-missions&page=downloads&ammm=15&pap=5

thank you looks like we are getting closer and closer to the solution, I am glad to have so much great help on this as it appears to be complex but workable. Thanks again for all the helping hands.:salute:

I am seeking to achieve something close to this:

which was how task forces really looked en route
    Admin

SOH-CM-2018
    The folded wings static aircraft pack is here, if anybody wants them:

http://simviation.com/1/browse-Scenery-86-19
    I have always been a team player. I was once part of a human centipide.

Yep that is the one, thanks for the linkey Editor
    Admin

I'm beginning to get somewhere with these techniques....anybody else ??

SOH-CM-2013

EXCELLENT !!!!

BRAVO, Demorier !!!!!!

Can't wait for the finished technique to be posted !
    SC

Excellent ,i havent had time to try yet..so it is great to see
    Admin

Is there anymore info about how to add AI aircraft to a moving carrier?
    BOB EDWARDS

I'm after some more info on this post earlier from sc7500 (TheB24guy files). In particular what the numbers in red mean. Anybody know where there is some tutorial stuff maybe? I need it for trying to place more planes on the deck.

[runway.xxx]
    id=xxxx
    name=Fake runway one
    heading=40
    allegiance=0
    units_across=1
    base_lat=N6* 8.70'
    base_lon=E135* 4.68'
    base_alt=+64
    takeoff_start_pos=28,0
    landing_stop_pos=150,0

Pretty bugie thing so far...need more knowledge (who doesn't).

Quote Originally Posted by demorier View Post
    In particular what the numbers in red mean. Anybody know where there is some tutorial stuff maybe? I need it for trying to place more planes on the deck.

[runway.xxx]
    takeoff_start_pos=28,0
    landing_stop_pos=150,0
    I´m not an expert but to me those lines should indicate the position for your airplane and wingmen (AI aircrafts) to take actions in relation to the beggining of your runway in X,Y coordinates.
    First number goes for lateral position (positive right, negative left)
    Second number goes for longitudinal position (positive foward, negative backwards)
    So, in this case: takeoff_start_pos=28,0
    Your plane start 28 feets foward of the beginng of the runway. If you add wingmen through MB they will position in wichever way you decided. If you have many planes some may end positioned outside the runway. Generally not a problem.
    takeoff_start_pos=28,0
    Your plane will start centered in the runway. Again, depending on the width of the runway some of your wingmen may start outside the runway. Generally not a problem.
    Landing_start_position is the point where your AI wingmen leaves you and land. If your flight path is a little high you generally see them dive to this position.

The rest is more or less self explaining. But ask if you have doubt or may be some other with more expertisse than me will clarify.

I don´t have more time but please read Cody Coyote MB tutorial book. It´s a MUST for many of this questions we have.

Cheers, Discus

Coffee break time

Update:

Read pages 196-198 of Cody Coyote MB (Rev 4 2011) http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=3972

The positions given by take_off_start_position and others are relative to the center of the runway.

PD: I´ve tried adding planes to an aircraftcarrier through the DP with no luck. Yet I´ve added an airplane to another airplane before, as a loadout. This is the way you can simulate a tow for gliders. Not my invention. I´ve only changed the type of tow, adjusted the distance from the tow to the glider, etc. You can ad the Space Shuttle on top of a Boeing 747. Or "compile" a Mistel.
    But I can tell you that, just for curiosity, I´ve added torpedoes to a RAF High Speed Launch in the aircraft folder. They were there and I could "drop" them. But I could only see them before they dropped and exploded on contact with the water. Back to the "lab".