Bouncing bomb dropped from C-54

Thread: Bouncing bomb dropped from C-54

Bouncing bomb dropped from C-54

Star of the show is Buffalo Airways' C-54G (DC-4), C-FIQM.

Cambridge engineer Dr Hugh Hunt tries to recreate Barnes Wallis's famous Second World War bouncing bomb, and blow up a specially constructed dam in Canada.
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vxS5BkwxpTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
    I won´t see your signature.

that was an awesome video....the best part was of course seeing the tanker do the drop

Blog Entries
    That was way cool and a great way to go fishing in Canada, Ha Ha
    Look What I Have Become!

That is some serious flying.

What was the purpose of the drop in the first place?

Must be for a Dambuster Doc... NatGeo or Dis will show I'm sure.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

The physics are is pretty simple.....

It's actually DOING it that's a bit of a challange.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Dave Garwood's Lancaster over the Moehne Dam.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Yes I think it was a NatGeo program, it was done because all Barnes Wallis's original calculation were lost, so nobody knew what exactly was needed to do this.

So a professor tried to work out the calculation etc, and replicate the experiments Barnes Wallis did to demonstrate the bouncing bomb would work. He then per the video did it for real.<o></o>

<o></o>
    If you get a chance to what the whole program, it is well worth it. <o></o>
    <o> </o>
    And as you say, some awesome flying.

Blog Entries
    there was a movie made about this and the guy who thought it up, I have watched it many times in the past, I think it was mde in the 40's B&W made in England.
    Look What I Have Become!

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    That was way cool and a great way to go fishing in Canada, Ha Ha
    Yeah Ron! That was dynamite!!!!

Cheers,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    there was a movie made about this and the guy who thought it up, I have watched it many times in the past, I think it was mde in the 40's B&W made in England.
    "The Dam Busters is a 1955 British Second World War war film starring Michael Redgrave and Richard Todd and directed by Michael Anderson. The film recreates the true story of Operation Chastise when in 1943 the RAF's 617 Squadron attacked the Möhne, Eder and Sorpe dams in Germany with Wallis's "bouncing bomb". The film was based on the books The Dam Busters by Paul Brickhill and Enemy Coast Ahead by Guy Gibson."

http://www.ask.com/wiki/The_Dam_Busters_%28film%29

On a cool, foggy morning in 1965 I stood at the center of the Moehne Dam, thinking about the movie. It was eerie enough that I could imagine the sounds of Merlins echoing off the hills that surround the lake, wondering what the German gunners were thinking as they stood inside the twin gun emplacements (by some reports, locked inside so they wouldn't abandon their posts) as they hear the roar and saw mysterious lights approaching over the lake.

Now, to see Arnie help recreate it brings a huge smile to my face

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    "The Dam Busters is a 1955 British Second World War war film starring Michael Redgrave and Richard Todd and directed by Michael Anderson. The film recreates the true story of Operation Chastise when in 1943 the RAF's 617 Squadron attacked the Möhne, Eder and Sorpe dams in Germany with Wallis's "bouncing bomb". The film was based on the books The Dam Busters by Paul Brickhill and Enemy Coast Ahead by Guy Gibson."
    A re-make of the movie is currently in production with the 'Lord of the Rings' director in control. Unfortunately historical accuracy has been tossed out of the window with regard to the name of Guy Gibson's dog who was a very popular addition to the airfield. According to Stephen Fry, the screenwriter, the dog's name was changed to 'appease the Americans' and to comply with 'modern' PC attitudes. Let's hope that's the only bit of history that gets changed.

Unfortunately the dog died after being run over by a car on the night the raid took place. He was buried at RAF Scampton and his grave site is still there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger_(dog)

EDIT: Unfortunately that Wiki article appears to be out of date as Fry recently confirmed the dog's name will be 'Digger'.
    Larry

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post

On a cool, foggy morning in 1965 I stood at the center of the Moehne Dam, thinking about the movie. It was eerie enough that I could imagine the sounds of Merlins echoing off the hills that surround the lake, wondering what the German gunners were thinking as they stood inside the twin gun emplacements (by some reports, locked inside so they wouldn't abandon their posts) as they hear the roar and saw mysterious lights approaching over the lake.

Now, to see Arnie help recreate it brings a huge smile to my face
    This must be you then
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVSBtivbUs4

The programme was shown in the UK beginning of May

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...aid-2011-style

Still prefer the Carling advert.

regards Collin:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    This must be you then
    I've always loved that ad.
    Larry

Members who have read this thread: 0