Why was the Nemeth / Piracy thread locked ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why was the Nemeth / Piracy thread locked ?

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    I absolutely NEVER know what's going on!!

It's like there's a whole world going on around me that I keep missing.....
    I'm with you.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    I'm with you.
    This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
    - Arthur Dent
    Andy

N2056 - I agree, and I apologise.
    Maybe we need a sort of poll thing, where you click a button to say "I have been attacked by this situation yet again" and it just counts up...
    Enuff from me
    MikeW

Thanks for the comments and understanding. One thing I won't do unless there's a very good reason to is lock a thread without some sort of warning given first, which was the intent of my first reply to this post. Sometimes it might not be the best wording...but it seems to work most of the time.

I try to participate when I can. During working hours I'm not really able to actually post much, and in the case of the thread that got locked it was all over and done by the time I got home from work!
    Regards,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom88 View Post
    Ryan Mason of Nemeth Design was just on "10 min Taxi" explaining what happened
    As I get older I find more and more often when I open a new browser window to search for something that I get sidetracked by something I see and sometimes forget why I even opened up the new window. So when folks include a link that will take me directly to what they're talking about I really appreciate it. That said, here is the link to the subject mentioned in the quote above.
    http://www.justin.tv/tenminutetaxi/b/288712939

Thanks for the heads up Phantom. it was an interesting episode.
    :ernae:

Frank,Thank you for putting up the link,Cheers

Patrick

You know what I like about Facebook ? It is not moderated, and I can write what I want, and ignore whom I want.
    The original Nemeth thread was already closed when I found it... yeah, I'm always late... so I commented on Facebook instead. Works for me all the time

The one good thing written in THIS thread is the advice to NOT look at forums and such first thing before having your morning coffee.... with this overcrowded world of today and the extremely low level of decency resulting, it is a recipe for ruining your day indeed. :salute:
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Fancois.....

at least I'm not the only one who has no idea what's going on half the time....

Unlike you though, I absolutely HATE facebook. Probably because my brother posts every inane little thing that comes across his mind.

I'm really tired of seeing pictures he takes up his nose.....

Roger on the coffee....
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    Unlike you though, I absolutely HATE facebook. Probably because my brother posts every inane little thing that comes across his mind.
    Introduce your brother to twitter. Seems more and more twits are using facebook to tweet. I don't care what you're having for breakfast.
    :ernae:

The 'nice' thing about Facebook is that you can choose who to see and who NOT to see ;-)
    Umbria, Italy

Something that has been mentioned on this, and other, forums is that anti-piracy software exists but is priced beyond the means of small developers.

Not being an 'industry insider' I am groping in the dark a little, but would it not be possible to create an association of flight sim developers under the aegis of one body ( Avsim, for example) and make a license for such software available at reduced cost for a fixed annual subscription ?

Thumbs up

I don't think it will be worth the trouble, personally. Also, as much as we all love this hobby, consumers and developers alike, there is very little 'unity' in our ranks and I would be really intrigued to see who would be able to unite enough developers under any one 'organization'. Almost ALL of the groups have hidden agendas or other interests that are not always as obvious as one might think.

The larger outfits such as Aerosoft have their own solution. So smaller devs can join them (AE would love that I am sure). In the end, NO solution is really available with the exception of including a continuous on-line check into the software. Something that is VERY difficult to do in FSX add-ons and something most customers are fiercely against!

Personally, I am in the camp of those who believe that the majority of 'free downloaders' are not our real customers anyway and the ones that ARE will pay for their products by and large.

Texts such as Nemeth posted are just out of frustration, but really not very realistic. Anyone thinking he can make a living out of just designing add-ons for FS, missed a turn somewhere to begin with. Those - the vast majority - who do it for pleasure with a nice additional pocket money coming in, are not hurt by those pirates in any significant way.

And yes, I DO understand the frustration of seeing your hard work on a dozen piracy sites and forums, but getting all upset about it is only wrecking ones own life, and never theirs.
    Umbria, Italy

Nemeth assistance

When I heard about Nemeth's problems, I promptly went to their website, and bought the new A-109.
    I figured that was the most constructive thing to do to help.
    Sue

FS Secure Delivery was born this day , after discussions with a number of associates a system is now offered to the independent producers who wish to incorporate software protection in their releases.
    The system is a complete Ecommerce solution , licence issuing , licence check , distribution and reports, available with a range of features to suit the needs and degree of security desired , licence verification with every use to the less intrusive installers, hacking will be back traceable to the original licence and that licence can be terminated, with auto licence verification any hacked versions can be terminated as well.

The FS Secure Delivery system was developed from proven systems by established pioneers in the field of Flight Sim Security, it’s been a couple of years now that not having these systems was the politically correct choice but it’s become an untenable situation , releases are going on the torrents within hous and Developers cannot recoup their basic investment, and as a result are not going to be able to continue, it’s become unaffordable .
    There is a loose confederacy of independent developers , an international group with offices on MSN and Skype ( soon to be the same i suspect) with whom i have worked through the course of numerous projects, we get together with some regularity using VoIP and text, this new FS Secure Delivery Wrapper will be incorporated in upcoming releases , as i work with a number of companies they will be the first using it.

The option of joining the group using the system is open to developers who wish to do so, there are a few that are not in the `` MSN Dev’s Sandbox `` who are invited to contact me to get an overview of the particulars .

It’s time for the piracy plague to be terminated , while making sure legitimate customers are as free from grief as possible is paramount, it’s an unfortunate reality that there are far more illegitimate users, the net consequence is that the survival of the groups who produce these is at stake without a protection system being used to prevent piracy .

Is that the 'FSD' system you told me about last year, Chuck?
    Umbria, Italy

No Francois , it was something worked out this week but is based on using the software key system for licence issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    The 'nice' thing about Facebook is that you can choose who to see and who NOT to see ;-)
    Setting the wife, girlfriend, mother-in-law on "ignore" must be kind of fun... *Chuckle*

I don't think it will be worth the trouble, personally. Also, as much as we all love this hobby, consumers and developers alike, there is very little 'unity' in our ranks and I would be really intrigued to see who would be able to unite enough developers under any one 'organization'. Almost ALL of the groups have hidden agendas or other interests that are not always as obvious as one might think.

The larger outfits such as Aerosoft have their own solution. So smaller devs can join them (AE would love that I am sure). In the end, NO solution is really available with the exception of including a continuous on-line check into the software. Something that is VERY difficult to do in FSX add-ons and something most customers are fiercely against!

Personally, I am in the camp of those who believe that the majority of 'free downloaders' are not our real customers anyway and the ones that ARE will pay for their products by and large.

Texts such as Nemeth posted are just out of frustration, but really not very realistic. Anyone thinking he can make a living out of just designing add-ons for FS, missed a turn somewhere to begin with. Those - the vast majority - who do it for pleasure with a nice additional pocket money coming in, are not hurt by those pirates in any significant way.

And yes, I DO understand the frustration of seeing your hard work on a dozen piracy sites and forums, but getting all upset about it is only wrecking ones own life, and never theirs.
    Quoted for absolute truth.

Charter Member 09
    Back when I was a working stiff, about six years ago and I had more money than brains. I bought about everything that was advertised. Just as long as it hung a propeller. Then I quit working and went on Social Security. About that time my hard drive froze up, I also changed my e-mail address (it was stolen from me) plus I changed my Charge Card account.
    I got me a new hard drive and tried to get my aircraft back. I had 12 of them from Alpha but because he didn’t recognize my name or my e-mail address we got into a real peeing contest and I didn’t get my aircraft back.
    Then there was a Russian outfit that sold me Moscow Airport and had a password that was 400 characters long. They didn’t recognize me.
    I then took on Fight One. They had 22 airplanes that I had purchased. It took them a year. But God bless them, they at least made good.
    Caranado was quite different. They refused to even acknowledge I ever existed. Even though I had bought 12 airplanes from them. I fought with them for a month and finally gave up. There were others that I bought one or two from with the same negative results. So there’s countless 100 of dollars down the drain, without a thank you. Or any airplanes that I had paid for.
    Now I’m living on Social Security and I’m looking at Spendware airplanes that are selling for $35. About what FSX originally cost me, come to think about it. Now I don’t care how nice it s, I can’t afford to throw away that kind of money with no guarantee that I can get it back when everything turns brown.
    Now if my kid brother, in Alabama, sends me a nice airplane - than that makes me a pirate. But under my current circumstances, I just can’t afford to be ripped off any longer.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

Down where we do our skiing, people over 65 get a discount for the lifts (used to be 60). Maybe we should do something like that for old-age pensioners in the FSX industry too.

About half of our customers would fall into that category I'd say. :-)
    Umbria, Italy

The Senior Pilots are an outstanding part of the hobby , and make up the majority of folks who turn out to Sim related conferences as well, gentlemen one and all.

Myself and other Developers know that they as a group have fixed incomes , having left the workforce they need be careful with expenses and in cases when that income is spoken for we understand completely that they cannot purchase whatever hits the market , i have given away a great many free copies of products and most Dev's if asked would gladly provide free aircraft to those gentlemen who cannot afford them, they participate in the hobby in ways that are impossible to replace with their experiences and whit in the telling. <o></o>

Indeed, we too give away products for free or at a big discount to flightsimmers less fortunate than some. But it is not something we advertise, nor is there some 'structure' in that. Maybe a good idea to DO bring some structure into this practice, as I know many companies WILL honour them and their limitations.
    Umbria, Italy

Down where we do our skiing, people over 65 get a discount for the lifts (used to be 60). Maybe we should do something like that for old-age pensioners in the FSX industry too.

About half of our customers would fall into that category I'd say. :-)

I'm 67 and a [several times over] paying customer. Bring it on Francois

M.

I'd need some 'proof' of course, and have no access to the Social Security system of the US..... or any other country for that matter. Help me think this over, folks :-)
    Umbria, Italy

Yes, but then I would have to work through the family response. Some fights just aren't worth having.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Back when we (Plane Design) released our Spitfire for FS9, it was pirated before it was released. One of the planes we handed out for a pre-review was the culprit, but we were only really able to narrow it down to two or three people and not much we could do about it at the time. It was disheartening, but the aircraft still sold well. Ed was trying to make a living off of it, but development just takes too long to do that.

If the rumors we've heard about MS Flight are true, maybe they'll be able to take care of the piracy issues. Ed and I like the way RoF does it's releases, but of course, that is a much less open ended system than FSX. I do hope Flight is backwards compatible, as I've bought a lot of ORBX add-ons, not mention aircraft, that I hope are able to transfer into the sim.

It is a shame about Nemeth, as I have a couple of their products and they are very good. I wish them luck at whatever they choose to do in the future.

Members who have read this thread: 0