24-70 vs 24-105

View Poll Results: So which zoom should I get to replace my primes?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L

4 57.14%
  • Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS

3 42.86%

Thread: 24-70 vs 24-105

Question 24-70 vs 24-105

Ah, the age old Canon quandary...

So, I'm switching around my lens lineup a bit. I want a general purpose zoom to accompany my 8-16mm. I've narrowed it down to the 24-70 f/2.8 L and 24-105 f/4 L IS. The price difference isn't a factor. They're both very highly regarded lenses. The 24-70 is a legendary wedding lens and the 24-105 is often regarded as being the lens people would want if they could have only one.

The 24-70 has f/2.8 available, has less distortion, less chromatic abberation, appears to have better color rendition (hard to quantify), and is ever so slightly sharper at equivalent focal lengths and apertures.

The 24-105 has image stabilization, 35mm more on the long end, is lighter and smaller, and is a bit cheaper. Overall it is more versatile.

I am leaning towards the 24-70 now as I really enjoyed using my friend's 28-75 f/2.8 lens. I am not interested in the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM. I'm not going to spend over a thousand dollars on a EF-S lens. What do you guys think?

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    I've used a 28-105 for a hundred years now, and still use it for my main portrait/wedding lens.....
    70 doesn't quite make it for me ( I'm talkin' 35mm sensor size ).

LD
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Lightbulb None of the above...

I wish I had a reason to buy that lol. I am moving away from primes (sold 100 macro and selling 30 f/1.4) and want to replace them with a nice general purpose L zoom.

The 85 1.2 II is a WONDERFUL lens though!

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post

I think you're moving reverse direction of what most people do.

I.E. most start with zooms then gravitate towards primes....

I'd get the 24-70. Far better than the 24-105...
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!
    Aeropedia.be photographer
    Flightlevel.be photographer, editor and forum administrator
    So drink to the Black Cat PBY,
    Damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
    BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft,
    Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

Hey All,

How do you answer this question?

What camera body? What sensor? How good in low light is it? What crop factor? What other lenses do you have? What kind of photos do you generally take or want to take?

Answer these honestly and the choice is obvious.

The local head of the camera dept at Future Shop who also regularly shoots weddings with his wife told me he can't wait to be able to get rid of his inferior collection of L lenses and go all Carl Zeiss with some upcoming high end Sony body which should be out by the time he can afford all Carl Zeiss glass. :mixedsmi: It's all perspective.

As for the zoom/prime perspectives. If you like being forced to be locked into the perspective(s)/rut(s) of the prime(s) you have then fine. Some people find that liberating others find it confining. Some people say it forces you to "see" by "working" a scene/image harder for an image others say I can see just fine by zooming. Neither position is "right" or "superior" to the other. Neither makes you more or less of a photographer. Then there are always the issue(s) of image quality and weight. The image quality issue is becoming increasingly nonsignificant while the weight issue all depends - if you carry lots of primes then your still packing the weight with the need to change otherwise yes it is lighter to carry only one prime on a camera. How significant that is depends on the person.

The other thing to note is that since the digital age has come into prominence there is an increasing reliance on software programming to "correct" lens deficiencies. This creates the ability of lower quality/cheaper? lenses to deliver quality images. I've no doubt we will see this trend continue to develop and increase. I first saw this mentioned at DPReview in their review of the Panasonic 14-140.

One of the more controversial aspects of the Micro Four Thirds system is Panasonic's decision to integrate software lens aberration correction as a fundamental component of the imaging chain (which the company has unfortunately chosen not to publicly document). For most users this is completely transparent - the camera corrects both the viewfinder image 'on the fly', and the JPEG files it records...
    So is it cheating?
    With all this software correction of lens aberrations going on, it's perhaps inevitable that some people will look upon Panasonic's approach as 'cheating'. After all, the argument runs, film camera lenses were always properly corrected optically, so surely the use of software to achieve the same effect is simply cost-cutting, and therefore somehow 'cheating'.
    We think this is fundamentally the wrong way to look at it. In photography, what ultimately counts is the final image - the means to get there is relatively unimportant. As we've shown, Panasonic's software correction results in pictures which are technically superior to those obtained using more conventional, purely optical correction methods. This is no doubt helped by the fact that none of the software manipulations used are particularly extreme (aside perhaps from those for distortion at wideangle) - we'd be much more worried if software was being used as a crutch to support the use of significantly sub-par optics. It's also worth appreciating that this new approach is only possible because of the opportunities offered by a system that has no optical viewfinder, and therefore no requirement for the lens to be corrected for SLR-type viewing.
    Now some users have a more rational concern that systems which incorporate software correction won't be 'future-proof', and lenses which require such assistance won't be usable in future. This seems highly unlikely - the trend in software development is clearly to embrace such opportunities, as shown by the recent revision of the DNG specification to include lens correction instructions. It's not so long ago, after all, that raw converters offered no form of manually-adjustable noise reduction, and now no self-respecting piece of software would be seen out in public without the requisite chroma and luminance noise sliders. It seems likely that in a few years time, automatic lens aberration correction will become equally universal.
    Some doubts have also been raised about whether such 'optically imperfect' lenses will be fully usable on future cameras, but this seems unlikely to be a real concern - at least as long as the Micro Four Thirds system itself continues in existence. We're told that distortion correction (at least) is a fundamental aspect of how MFT operates - the correction parameters are stored on a ROM inside the lens itself for communication to the camera, and written into the raw file for converters to use. So these lenses seem to be no more likely to become unusable in future than those for any other system.
    So our considered opinion is that no, it's not cheating, and indeed this kind of processing is clearly the future. All of the major manufacturers are attempting to address lens flaws in software in one way or another, and one advantage of mirrorless system with purely electronic viewing is greater flexibility in what is possible. So the best approach for the photographer is to accept what technology can offer, and enjoy the images it can produce.
    Soon the whole concept of lens quality being the defining characteristic will become moot as we ever increasingly come to depend on the "cleverness" of a computer programmer. So the arguement for the claimed inherent optical superiority of a prime over a zoom will become irrelevant.

So just answer the questions I suggested and pick the logical choice.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Lightbulb

EasyEd good post...
    Thus far, Nikon has approached lateral chromatic aberration correction by software in their bodies....I'm not sure about their lenses though...

One good thing about primes are their speed though....

I am starting to see what photography is actually about. When I first started I was fixated on sharpness and nothing else. That is kind of why I ended up with mostly primes in my bag. Since I've shot with a couple professionals and practiced on my own, I see many flaws in my old logic. There are so many other aspects of a photo and lens to look at besides sharpness. The 24-70 would definitely be a better lens for me than a couple or few primes that cover the same range.

Honestly I've thought about getting a Zeiss instead of the 24-70. However I think I would have the same problem, it just wouldn't get used as much as it should. The 24-70 is one of the most renowned Canon lenses. I think I will be very happy with it. Now I just need to sell my 30mm and then I should be set!

I think you're moving reverse direction of what most people do.
    You should know me enough by now to know that I don't do "what most people do"...

Lightbulb

Then I'd go for the 24-70 solely due to speed.....One day you'll be in a low light situation & and you'll be cursing the ƒ4.0 of the other lens.. :mixedsmi:

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Don't forget about the Canon 15-85mm EF-S lens... If Canon would do L-series lenses for the EF-S format this would definitely be one.. You could buy this and a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for the same price as the L-series lenses.
    Personally I would say the 24 mm is too narrow for daily use, especially on a crop body.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Blog Entries
    Can you borrow or rent both lenses and try them out for a week or so? You will know my then which is the lens of choice.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Ugh this is killing me. Every time I look at a certain ZEISS thread on POTN I go absolutely nuts. The Zeiss 2/35 was the lens I really wanted when I got the Sigma 30. My confidence in the 24-70 is slipping!

These colors are taunting me. Stunningly beautiful.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I hate spending money... :mixedsmi:

Lightbulb

Colors are nice but I'd also like to know what the in-camera settings are too...

Hey All,

The Sigma 10-20 can do this. Here are 99 pages to look through.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/l...20mm-club.html

Any post in that image above?

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

The Sigma 10-20 can do this.
    I've got the Sigma 8-16mm myself. It also has brilliant colors, at least as good as my 300mm L if not better. It is one incredible lens for the price. It is definitely one I am NOT selling.

Though shots from the 24-70 don't quite have that zeiss look to them, they are still quite good. I think its track record pretty much defends itself. It don't need a noob like me to vouch for it lol.

Colors are nice but I'd also like to know what the in-camera settings are too...
    Probably some filters used or post-processing done..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Probably some filters used or post-processing done..
    At a minimum, a polarizer. Noticed how the sky darkens at the top and seems darker on the right. Another thing to consider is the location. I have some picture I took in Alaska that have very rich colors and a deep blue sky. I may be the northern latitude?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Personally for me I would get the 24-105mm, I really liked that focal length when i had a 28-105mm. The main reason I say this is because it gives you just bit extra reach and the IS too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Don't forget about the Canon 15-85mm EF-S lens...
    We have a winner! I just ordered the filter and hood for the lens, effectively locking in my decision. Once my next paycheck hits in a week it is mine!

Yeah it isn't a L but it is probably the best walkaround available on a Canon crop sensor. In the end the others were just too expensive. Plus this way I get to keep my Sigma 30mm.

Good choice! I have mine for a few months now, replacing the older and cheaper 17-85 and I think it is a great lens! The range is just perfect for everyday use, colours are nice and the autofocus is very fast. The four-stop stabilizer works great when taking three shots in a row for HDR images. (The 7D's 8fps capability helps too obviously.)

When it's really dark I can always fall back on the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, and together with the 100-400 L and the 50 f/1.8 I think I have all the lenses I need.

Members who have read this thread: 0