Which Carenado Bonanza is recommended ? V35B or F33A ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Carenado Bonanza is recommended ? V35B or F33A ?

Which Carenado Bonanza is recommended ? V35B or F33A ?

I'm thinking about my first Carenado purchase and considering either of their two Bonanza models.

The distinctive V35B...

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.ph...t%20Simulation

OR...

The later, and more conventional, F33A...

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.ph...t%20Simulation

Rather than extol the obvious virtues of each model, has anybody had any negative experiences of one that would point me toward the other ?

If anyone owns both, can they provide a brief comparison ?

Thanks in advance.

Being Carenados the only real difference that I notice between the two are the obvious physical differences. A quick look at their aircraft.cfg files looks like other than the increased range of the V35B, the two files appear to be identical. I've never had a real problem with either.

The few bugs that the F33A had when initially released were fixed with an update. I think by the time the V35B came out a few months later all of things learned on the F33A were carried over so the V35B has been pretty clean.

I fly the V35B more often strictly because I think it looks nicer having the tip tanks and the more unique look.

When I go to fly one of my Carenados with the conventional look that the F33A has, I actually put more hours on their Archer II over the F33A. Not because of a technical issue, quality issue, or flight model difference, but simply because I like the looks of the Archer over the F33A.

FAC

Thanks FAC, just the kind of info I am looking for.

FAC, thinking about it further, have you noticed any difference in the flight models ? Given the differing tail configurations, surely they must handle differently.

I've never noticed a difference, but I ran a little non-scientific flight comparrison.

I took the fuel out of the tip tanks on the 35 and then lightened up the passengers on the 33 by 20 pounds. That gave them both the same gross weight.

One flight in each from the same airport & weather. Out for a few S turns and then back to land. Same flap settings for the TO and landings.

There may be some very minor difference that I can't tell, but they feel like exactly the same aircraft to me.

BTW They both land like they are made of balsa wood. Stiff in the air manuvering, but float like feathers on landing.

FAC

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I have none of these (yet) Paul, but I can tell you this. Carenado grows on you like you cannot believe. Their Cessna's are BRILLIANT! You will probably end up buying the second version of Bonanza after you purchase the first.

Addictive I tell yah! Addictive....
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I have none of these (yet) Paul, but I can tell you this. Carenado grows on you like you cannot believe. Their Cessna's are BRILLIANT! You will probably end up buying the second version of Bonanza after you purchase the first.

Addictive I tell yah! Addictive....
    Very true

And as owner of all of them payware and freeware and even flying a ported Dreamfleet in FSX(nightmare to port) I can say the Carenados are the best.

Once using(and not testing something else) I am more in the bare metal V35 then in the other ones

Roland

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    FAC, thinking about it further, have you noticed any difference in the flight models ? Given the differing tail configurations, surely they must handle differently.
    As beautiful as the Carenado planes are, the flight model is always the weakest part of their planes. E.g. F33A had also quite a few serious bugs in the flight model and even their newest release, the B58 needed 3rd party corrections.
    Carenado planes aren't the ones to look for if you want a precise flight model out of the box.

FAC, thanks for that further information...very interesting. I'd like to hear from a real-world pilot who has experience of both, and what the handling differences are.

Bstolle, yes, I too have read that the quality of the models is not quite matched by the flight dynamics. Thanks for the advice.

Thunder100..you favour the V35 ? Because of the looks or some other reason?

Lionheart, I know exactly what you mean. My reservations concerning Carenado's flight models notwithstanding, the forthcoming Skymaster looks intriguing, the recently released Baron is just bloody gorgeous, and I've joined those lobbying for a Cessna 207 on the forum.

Still no nearer a decision on this...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Still no nearer a decision on this...
    I buy Carenados, simply because they are dependably Carenado.

I don't think I've ever purchased one based on "tested by real world pilots" technology.

My Carenado plus column:
    1. They always look great inside and out.
    2. They make aircraft that most other folks don't.
    3. Most of their models make great AI aircraft.
    4. Most have trike gear which I prefer.
    5. I spend the vast majority of my time in Accusim'd aircraft, but when I want to relax just short of being a "Ctrl-E" pilot, Carenado makes the types of aircraft I like to be in.

Personally with your choice, if you like the look of one over the other, I would not put much more into it than that.

If the flight model part of it is going to make you crazy, then your probably still on even ground with either of them. You'll be equally okay or equally not okay.

FAC

Go for the V-Tail, it is a beauty! (I got to fly in a real one as a kid!) But in general, you can't go wrong with any Carenado purchase I reckon!
    "What do you hear?" "Nothing but the rain!" "Then grab your gun and bring the cat in!" "Boom, boom, boom!"

Icon5

F33A BONANZA on 50% sale at justflight from today 7th June at $15.30 or £10.20

Blog Entries
    I have never flown the F33 but I have flown the V35B

The V-tail fishtails(waggles) a bit in turbulence and you can really feel it in the back seat-it tends to oscillate a little, it is overall a little touchy but you can compensate easily as you get to know it...especially in fast banking. The V35 I flew had vental fins added for stability. I also love the seating in the V35B. You have great vision all around you. The engine was a 250hp version and it flew like a Mooney but the pilot seating was better. You really get some great high cruise speed on the V35B. I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about the V-tail if you don't try to jockey around in the air. I would imagine that the larger horizontal tail of the F33 would provide more stability. The V35B is a easy take-off and land aircraft. I don't own Carenado's V35 or FSD's (short on cash these days) but if they come even close to the characteristics of the real aircraft it will be a fast, fun flyer!
    Ted

Oh did I add that the V-tail is sexier looking???? (I shoulda)
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I think on balance its going to be the V-tailed V35B, if for no other reason than its unmistakable shape. If an F33A flew high over Cambridge, I'd be hard put to identify it; no such problem with the V35B. Besides, whenever a Bonanza is mentioned, the v-tailed model always springs to mind.

And as you say Txnetcop, it is sexier...so the V35B it will be.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions, FAC, Lionheart, Thunder, Bstolle, Dexdoggy, Colin and Txnet. Much appreciated!

:ernae:

Thanks again...she's lovely! :ernae:

Blog Entries
    Excellent pic she is a sweetheart...on my list to buy one day!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Yep, I like my v-tail the best.

Attachment 39769

I prefer the V-tail too, the orther is so conventional..

I did a bunch of repaints for the V-tail too, you can find them on OZx if you like

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Lovely stuff Jankees.

Did you see my request for a plain white texture for the tip-tank version at the Carenado support forum ?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324006-v35-repaints/

The plain white one provided by Carenado is for the version without tanks. It'd be great if you could provide us with one.

Paul,
    Try navigating to your simobjects\airplanes\carenado V35, then copy the texture.white to the carenado V35 tiptanks folder, then make an aircraft.cfg entry for it and you should be good to go You probably would need to copy a texture.cfg file from one of the original tiptank schemes and stick it in your new texture.white folder.

CHeers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TJ, if Jankees cant do it, thats exactly what I shall try. Thanks very much for the advice.

A few more shots to finish off.

I've just uploaded a zip to the library, containing both normal bmp and dxt5 dds replacement files for CARexterior_E4. You can use the bmp as a base for repaints, and the dds directly in the sim, after you rename it. It is an all-white wing though, so it will only work with the original all white textures by Carenado.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Thanks a lot for that Jankees, just downloaded it. I'm planning on doing a tour of FTX AU and this aircraft, with its extra tanks, is perfect for it. Thanks again for your efforts, much appreciated.

if you're planning to tour Australia, why don't you use my VH-ILT paint? That comes with an Oz registration and tip tanks..

Members who have read this thread: 1