USHAKOV LPL

Thread: USHAKOV LPL

Blog Entries

USHAKOV LPL

Check this out. The Ushakov "flying submarine". For CFS2, FS2002, and FS2004 by James Hefner.

http://mainescenery.proboards.com/in...y&thread=11441

download...
    http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/q8yrg0

Flying Submarine

Thanks for the heads up Hurricane.

This in fact, was attempted by the Soviets prior to WW II.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Ushakov LPL

I think the FM and DP in CFS 2 need a little work, but the "What If?" factor is pretty high and makes for some fun on a day off. Might be a tough one to paint, but she's capable of sinking some tonnage with her two torpedos.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    Might be a tough one to paint,...
    Looking at those texture files, I see what you mean. I noticed that there is a texture file named "K7wing". Is there a Kalinin K-7 in CSF2?

Our brave aviators with the Soviet Baltic Fleet attempt to stop a Nazi convoy with their LPLs.

The AI crews peroform well and sink a freighter but when our intrepid crew attacks a German DD disaster befalls them. Not even a Soviet pressure hull in the plane can save them from 88mm and 105mm FLAK and our intrepid crew takes their final plunge to Davy Jones' Locker as Heros of the Soviet Union.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Benjamin Franklin

New Baltic Fleet doctrine will now stress the submerged attack!
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Benjamin Franklin

Fascinating concept aircraft. Thanks for the info and links!

I wonder if this was the grand-daddy of the ekranoplan concept that was explored by the soviets ? Looks like something that was proposed after a night of heavy Vodka drinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan

First of all; I am glad see folks enjoying my creation. Thank you for your positive remarks.

When I was working on this project, I reached a point where I had created all of the parts, but knew my texturing left a lot to be desired. I was just beginning to try and retexture the entire model when triple disaster struck -- my workstation at work with all of my development tools was upgraded to a new workstation; within the same year, I lost the hard drives of both computers at home.

I eventually managed to have the contents of one hard drive recovered onto a new hard drive; but it didn't leave much room for development tools. That particular machine also had the least amount of my work on it.

Fortunately, at a later date, when I decided to take the remaining, smaller hard drive in the other computer and convert it to a Linux box, I noticed backups of the remainder of my projects were on it. So, I managed to recover most of not all of my work. I now have a second computer again with more room (technically third; the oldest PC is now the Linux box); though I don't know if or when I will get back into modeling for FS again.

In the process of setting up the new box, I test flew the LPL. Even though the cockpit is not completely textured, and the exterior texturing leaves a lot to be desired, I thought it was still worth sharing. I carefully researched what I thought the flying characteristics would have been had it been built, and what the cockpit would have looked like, and I think the results are pretty good. The box in the conning tower is the radio; according to what I have read, the guages were watertight for when cockpit was flooded underwater; but I knew waterproofing a radio would have been tough; plus if I was the crew, I would want it in the conning tower with me while it was underwater. But it makes for a very cramped space, even by submarine standards.

Anyway, someone had also asked me both here and on TOH if I would send it to him; so, I put it out on my sendspace account, announced it on TOH, and waited for the reaction. It has been downloaded from sendspace 61 times so far; so I am glad I did not keep to myself; warts and all.

This was my first attempt at writing FM and DP files; so I am sure they do leave something to be desired. If someone wants to polish them up a bit, then please feel free to do so and backchannel them to me. Perhaps a DP wizard can even figure out how to make the torpedoes work while submerged.

In the meantime, thanks for the screenshots Jagdflieger; it is always a pleasure to see others enjoying your work in their simulator. I hope others are enjoying it as well.

-James

P.S. I borrowed the 'red star' from the Kalin K-7 texture, but do not use the texture file itself; it was included by mistake. The original model was Piglet's for FS2000; I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jhefner View Post
    First of all; I am glad see folks enjoying my creation. Thank you for your positive remarks.

When I was working on this project, I reached a point where I had created all of the parts, but knew my texturing left a lot to be desired. I was just beginning to try and retexture the entire model when triple disaster struck -- my workstation at work with all of my development tools was upgraded to a new workstation; within the same year, I lost the hard drives of both computers at home.

I eventually managed to have the contents of one hard drive recovered onto a new hard drive; but it didn't leave much room for development tools. That particular machine also had the least amount of my work on it.

Fortunately, at a later date, when I decided to take the remaining, smaller hard drive in the other computer and convert it to a Linux box, I noticed backups of the remainder of my projects were on it. So, I managed to recover most of not all of my work. I now have a second computer again with more room (technically third; the oldest PC is now the Linux box); though I don't know if or when I will get back into modeling for FS again.

In the process of setting up the new box, I test flew the LPL. Even though the cockpit is not completely textured, and the exterior texturing leaves a lot to be desired, I thought it was still worth sharing. I carefully researched what I thought the flying characteristics would have been had it been built, and what the cockpit would have looked like, and I think the results are pretty good. The box in the conning tower is the radio; according to what I have read, the guages were watertight for when cockpit was flooded underwater; but I knew waterproofing a radio would have been tough; plus if I was the crew, I would want it in the conning tower with me while it was underwater. But it makes for a very cramped space, even by submarine standards.

Anyway, someone had also asked me both here and on TOH if I would send it to him; so, I put it out on my sendspace account, announced it on TOH, and waited for the reaction. It has been downloaded from sendspace 61 times so far; so I am glad I did not keep to myself; warts and all.

This was my first attempt at writing FM and DP files; so I am sure they do leave something to be desired. If someone wants to polish them up a bit, then please feel free to do so and backchannel them to me. Perhaps a DP wizard can even figure out how to make the torpedoes work while submerged.

In the meantime, thanks for the screenshots Jagdflieger; it is always a pleasure to see others enjoying your work in their simulator. I hope others are enjoying it as well.

-James

P.S. I borrowed the 'red star' from the Kalin K-7 texture, but do not use the texture file itself; it was included by mistake. The original model was Piglet's for FS2000; I believe.
    I look inside your airfile and I'll propose you a new one. I love your bird!

Thanks Pepi.

Something slow and heavy on the controls!
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Benjamin Franklin

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    This is TOO Cool, Buck Rogers would love it
    I am playing with this beauty, and it is a BALL..
    Bravo..:salute: :salute: :salute:

Thanks very Much..

Superb job, James.

I have seen stuff about this plane before, and you have to marvel at the mind that came up with it in the first place!

Thank you,

PomBee.:ernae:

P.S. Jagd, what program did you use to get the 3D views of the plane?

Quote Originally Posted by PomBee View Post
    P.S. Jagd, what program did you use to get the 3D views of the plane?
    I think that is my three view, I took it of the model in Gmax; along with this isometric view:

Something slow and heavy on the controls!
    It is a fairly large aircraft; my son and I were flying together in FS2004 last night, and he flew next to me in a Grumman Albatros. The LPL looked to be close to it in size.

Given those large floats hanging below it and the heavy conning tower on top; I would it expect it to have been a lumbering beast in real life had it been built. So yes, it is slow and heavy in FS; according to the published speed in the what little literature I have found, and what I came up with in comparing it to comtemporary aircraft; I think it actually flies a little too fast in CFS2. It is pretty close to what I think would have been the actual speed in FS2002 and FS2004; but even it is faster than the 100 km/h posted in what literature is out there (see below.)

I used the wing fold event to trigger the diving action because (a) I could time the event to the 1:30 minutes listed in the literature, and (b) once you are underwater, you cannot take off. Another characteristic that eluded my limited FS talents is trying to limit your speed underwater to just 2-3 knots.

The possible repetition of approach to target was considered as one of the essential advantages of the underwater- air torpedo bomber over traditional submarines. Especially effective it had to be the action of the flying submarines in the group, since theoretically three such apparatuses created on the way of enemy the impervious barrier by width to nine miles. LPL could penetrate at night the harbor and the ports of enemy, be immersed, and in the daytime conduct observation, direction-finding of secret fairways and with the opportunity attack. In the construction LPL were provided for six autonomous sections, in three of which were placed the aircraft engines AM-34 a with power of 1000 hp each each. They were supplied with the superchargers, which allowed boosting in the takeoff conditions to 1200 hp the fourth section was habitable, calculated for the command of three people. Control of vessel under water was conducted from it. In the fifth section was located storage battery, in the sixth - rowing electromotor by power 10 l,s. Durable housing LPL was cylindrical riveted construction with the diameter of 1,4 m from duralumin with a thickness of 6 mm. besides the durable sections, boat had wet type pilot's light cab, which with the sinking was filled up with water, in this case flying instruments battened down in the special mine.

Skin it is wing and the tail assembly it was intended to carry out made of steel, and floats from duralumin. Etielementy of construction not were calculated for the increased external pressure, since with the sinking they were heated by the sea water, which entered by drift through the scuppers (openings for the drain of water). Fuel- (gasoline) and oil were stored in the special rubber reservoirs, which were being located in the center section. With the sinking that moving and that discharges the mains of the water cooling system of aircraft engines overlapped, which excluded their damage under the effect of pressure of outboard water. The painting and varnishing of its skin was provided for for the protection of housing from the corrosion. Torpedoes were placed under the outer planes of wing on the special holders. The design payload of boat composed 44,5% of the total gross weight of apparatus, which was common for heavy type machines.

The process of sinking included four stages: the sealing down of motor sections, the overlapping of water in the radiators, the transfer of control into the underwater and transfer of crew from the cab into the crew quarters (central control).

Tactical flight characteristics LPL.

Crew, man. 3

Takeoff mass, kg 15 000

Flight speed, UZ (km/h) 100 (~200)

Flying range, km 800

Ceiling, m 2 500

Quantity and the type of aircraft engines 3 x AM-34

Power on takeoff conditions, hp 3x1200

Max. of add. agitation with vzlete/posadke and sinking, marks 4-5

Underwater SK -t6, knots 2-3

Submersion depth, m 45

Action radius under water, miles 5-6

Underwater independence, h 48

Power of rowing motor, hp 10

Duration of sinking, min 1,5

Duration of emersion, min 1,8

Armament:

- 18- in torpedo, pieces. 2

- coaxial machine gun, pieces. 2
    -James

Quote Originally Posted by jhefner View Post
    Given those large floats hanging below it and the heavy conning tower on top; I would it expect it to have been a lumbering beast in real life had it been built. So yes, it is slow and heavy in FS; according to the published speed in the what little literature I have found, and what I came up with in comparing it to comtemporary aircraft; I think it actually flies a little too fast in CFS2. It is pretty close to what I think would have been the actual speed in FS2002 and FS2004; but even it is faster than the 100 km/h posted in what literature is out there (see below.)

I used the wing fold event to trigger the diving action because (a) I could time the event to the 1:30 minutes listed in the literature, and (b) once you are underwater, you cannot take off. Another characteristic that eluded my limited FS talents is trying to limit your speed underwater to just 2-3 knots.

-James
    I succeed to get the speed at 250 kph at 2,500 meters. It climbs at a realistic 150 meters per minute. Need to fly it a little more.

Cheers

Pepe

I also decided...

...to make three new skins. A prototype, an operational plane with submarine colours and a Korean War sample

Attachment 38795
    Attachment 38796
    Attachment 38797

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peperez View Post
    ...to make three new skins.
    Very nice Peperez. The Ushakov is an interesting (and fun) airplane, and a heroic project by Mr. Hefner.