T-33 Blue Angels

Thread: T-33 Blue Angels

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Great editing on these. Blue Angles will always be the best of the best. :salute:

What role did the T-33 serve for the Blues? Was it a camera aircraft, or just something the pilots could put around in and get their 4 hours of flying time per month?

It was used for air-to-air photography but more often for VIP flights (reporters, celebrities, politicians, etc.) and for advance liaison for show planning. Nowadays the Blues' Public Affairs Officer is a non-aviator billet, but back in the day it was an aviator slot and (I think) he was also the narrator for the shows. He did a lot of the T-33 flying.

Charter Member 09
    Tracon, not only is the US Navy Blue Angels will always be the best of the best. They also were the first of the best, having preceeded the USAF Thunderbirds by seven years.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

They even proceeded the USAFE Skyblazers by 3 years.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblazer3 View Post
    What role did the T-33 serve for the Blues? Was it a camera aircraft, or just something the pilots could put around in and get their 4 hours of flying time per month?
    The same role as the two-seat Hornet serves today, media. Also the narrator generally flies along in the two-seater.

In the US Navy, the T-33 was designated TO-2.

Caz

First it was called the TO-2, then the TV-2 and in 1962 it was finally called the T-33B. So an aircraft procured in the early fifties and retired in the mid 60's would have had three different designations during it's career.

Re: T-33 Blue Angels

My Father always took my brother and I to airshows whenever the Blue Angels were in
    town, Usually at Carswell AFB. The Thunderbirds are good, But the Angels are better.
    Just my opinion.