Douglas Kallen's Stearman - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Douglas Kallen's Stearman

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by normb View Post
    For we simple types , what is the technical acheivment that makes this detrail possible in FS2004? Is it something other designers will be able to take advantage of?
    An Fs2004 model used to have a limit on the number of polygons used, so that would limit the amount of detail, but somehow they've found a way around this limitation.

Other designers can use it too; check out Lionheart's Boeing Blended wing concept.

Don't ask me how it's done, but I'm glad they can do it!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Thanks for the info about the technology. A new life extension for FS2004? I can't wait to see what surprises the designers will have ahead for us. I'm always impressed with the labors of love they share with us.

i know Lionhearts upcoming Ultralight/LSA has the detail of the 'removed poly limit' that thing looks sweet!

Downloading and drooling at the same time, thanks very much for the H/U ... Mike :salute:

This thing is simply amazing.
    I just wish it had a little more Aileron authority you know? Or atleast a line in the aircraft.cfg to adjust it... the roll rate is not very Stearman like.
    The VC is gorgeous though, and don't get me started on the detail.

WOW! looks better than anything i ever saw in FSX
    JohnH_049

Quote Originally Posted by idancesafetydance View Post
    I just wish it had a little more Aileron authority you know? Or atleast a line in the aircraft.cfg to adjust it... the roll rate is not very Stearman like.
    Can't tell about the r/w Stearman's roll agility, and I don't like too "nervous" aeroplanes, but I think adding the line
    aileron_effectiveness = 1.0
    to the [flight tuning] section and playing with its factor could make this baby roll some faster.
    Or is this one of those factors that got overridden by the airfile parameters...?

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've yet to try it and only have a tiny bit of real world Stearman time (2 flights), but would have thought IMHO that as the builder had gone to such hard work to produce this aeroplane that he would have done a lot of homework into producing a correct flight model. That is something that we strive to do (within the confines of the simulator program) with the Austers that we create.

Perhaps this variant of the Stearman does handle this way - sadly we will never know in real life. Hate to think what the fuel bill would be in today's prices. An hour in the Broussard I normally goes in costs £200 ($322) in fuel alone. Its getting really expensive these days!!!

Just a thought - but then again I'm normally wrong!!!

Best wishes,

Martin

Blog Entries
    I had a chance to beta this model before it was released to the public. Lets just say that its the only bi-plane I fly. A big thanks to Doug for this fine, very detailed model:ernae: And FSDS V3.5 was used throughout the construction for those wondering.

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Port to FSX

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Douglas Kallen's beautiful Stearman is up at Simviation...

http://simviation.com/1/download-file?file=d75n1.zip
    I've ported it to FSX and it IS a little bit of a framehog but
    not to that of a Power Point Slideshow. Any one out there
    have ideas on how I could add engine smoke startup effect?

:mixedsmi:

Definitively a very big WOW!

Incredible details,every time I climb into the VC I find more and more stunning details. And its so nice "walking" around the plane, I sometimes even won't make it to a take off.

Thanks a lot for this wonderful bird!!

Cheers

off to take another spin!!

Quote Originally Posted by claudius24 View Post
    Nice video, did you do the flying?
    Is that the engine sounds that came with the file?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Can't tell about the r/w Stearman's roll agility, and I don't like too "nervous" aeroplanes, but I think adding the line
    aileron_effectiveness = 1.0
    to the [flight tuning] section and playing with its factor could make this baby roll some faster.
    Or is this one of those factors that got overridden by the airfile parameters...?

Cheers,
    Markus.
    I tried adding the line to the .cfg, it appears the roll rate is determined in the .air file.
    I have spent some stick time at my local airport, flying hops from 57C to 44C and I can say, the Stearman is quite sporty for such a large biplane.

SOH-CM-2024

Yeah folks, this thing is ACTIVE!

One fantastic flight sim model, all over, ever the controls shake! :>)

Beyond excellence Douglas, the FS9 community owes you a six-pack or 12. :ernae:

Caz

Some close-ups:

Attachment 32372Attachment 32373Attachment 32374Attachment 32375

Icon5

Hi,

Nice video, did you do the flying?
    Is that the engine sounds that came with the file?
    Yes .. I don't hire pilots .. too expensive
    No

WOW. I'm impressed.

I didn't think it would fly on my old box. After converting the textures I had no problems. None. And my machine is an old 2.4 GHz P4 with 1 Mb ram and a 128 video card. No stuttering. No slideshow. And that's with real weather, flying in a PNW snow storm.
    :ernae:

--WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    WOW. I'm impressed.

I didn't think it would fly on my old box. After converting the textures I had no problems. None. And my machine is an old 2.4 GHz P4 with 1 Mb ram and a 128 video card. No stuttering. No slideshow. And that's with real weather, flying in a PNW snow storm.
    :ernae:

--WH
    Hmmm......mine's a 3.2 Ghz P4 with 1Mb of ram. I too have converted to DXT3s but I'm only getting 6-16 fps. Any other suggestions ?

Fantastic looking aircraft !, just dying to be able to fly it !!

A.

Sure enough I need to convert the textures but forgot how to do it.....anyone feel like posting the simple steps?
    There are 2 constants in the universe:
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Icon5

Hi,

Use this:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/G9OYBum_/BatchConvert.html
    Put in a folder
    Put the textures to convert in the same folder
    Use the bat you want

Thanks Cladius...
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Thanks again...whast a great tool...thanks.
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark62 View Post
    Hmmm......mine's a 3.2 Ghz P4 with 1Mb of ram. I too have converted to DXT3s but I'm only getting 6-16 fps. Any other suggestions ?

Fantastic looking aircraft !, just dying to be able to fly it !!

A.
    I use FSAutoStart to shut down unneeded programs and processes and free up memory to run FS9. You may have only 1Mb of physical ram, but background programs consume your resources giving you little left to run FS9. Typically, FSAutoStart will free up 800 to 850 Mb of that ram just for FS9.

Attachment 32410 Attachment 32412 Attachment 32413 Attachment 32414
    -WH

This aircraft has been uploaded to Avsim now, a much faster download than at Simviation ... Mike :salute: