LOOKING TO BUILD A NEW PC FOR FSX THEN LOOK HERE! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOOKING TO BUILD A NEW PC FOR FSX THEN LOOK HERE!

Blog Entries
    Ditto sounds like a plan for that kind of money...make sure you get latest revision motherboard that includes the SATA fix!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks for the comments.

I heard about the Sandy Bridge problems. That explains why one of the shops where I tried to configure and order my PC is not offering the ASUS motherboard anymore at the moment. Probably due to the current problems.

Is there in estimate when ASUS will have the SATA fix?

Pete
    Pete

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BushAV8R View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

I heard about the Sandy Bridge problems. That explains why one of the shops where I tried to configure and order my PC is not offering the ASUS motherboard anymore at the moment. Probably due to the current problems.

Is there in estimate when ASUS will have the SATA fix?

Pete
    As Ted has already mentioned...the latest revision boards should have the fix already. Just double check with your board.

http://event.asus.com/2011/SandyBridge/notice/
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Get ready for a new powerhouse motherboard for SandyBridge processors:
    These are currently in test at TechCorp and the news is good for us overclocker maniacs!
    What makes the Big-Bang Marshal so special among its fellow LGA 1155 peers, is MSI's implementation of the Lucid Hydra chip, that enabled the company to equip the board with no less than eight PCI Express x16 slots.

These can be used in order to install an impressive number of graphics cards, running either in CrossFireX or SLI, the Lucid chip even allowing users to mix and match models from different vendors.

In addition, to further cater to the needs of the GAMING crowd, MSI has decided to pair the motherboard with a Creative X-Fi MB2 chip that enabled the use of EAX 5.0 sound effects and carries THX TruStudio Pro stereo certification.

As I mentioned above, overclockers haven't been forgotten, as the Big-Bang Marshal comes equipped with a 24-phase DrMOS power design, dual 8-pin CPU power plugs, a set of 6-pin VGA power supply connectors (for providing additional power to the installed GPUs), on-board power, reset, clear CMOS and OC Genies buttons, as well as a series of DIP-switches that disable and enable the PCI Express slots according to the user's preference.

Other MSI specific features, like the dedicated voltage measurement points, will also make their appearance.

As far as layout is concerned, everything seems to be arranged pretty neatly, as even the two 8-pin CPU power plugs are easily accessible.

Moving to the back of the motherboard, we find all the usual assortment of ports, but MSI went a step further than other manufacturers and included eight USB 3.0 SuperSpeed ports. All of these boards ship with the SATA fix in place!
    Ted

Is it true, that I am not affected by the Sandy Bridge Problem, when I am using the SATA3 interface or the additional board SATA controllers?

Unfortunately, my favorite PC Shop doesn't have the updated boards yet (probabaly end of Feb), but they gave me this answer, if I can not really wait any longer ;-)
    Pete

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BushAV8R View Post
    Is it true, that I am not affected by the Sandy Bridge Problem, when I am using the SATA3 interface or the additional board SATA controllers?

Unfortunately, my favorite PC Shop doesn't have the updated boards yet (probabaly end of Feb), but they gave me this answer, if I can not really wait any longer ;-)
    It takes a while for the degradation to occur, depending on how much you use your PC...

So I guess I have to wait for the updated boards to arrive.

Dang, I thought I can buy my new PC next week.

Thanks a lot.
    Pete

Aloha Ted (and other experts!),

I've gotten to the point where my gaming machine needs an upgrade, and this rig needs new MB.

I'm not flush enough to replace the MB/CPU/Memory and Vid Card all at the same time....

Here is what I'm thinking about:

Getting the Gigabyte MB recommended at the beginning of this thread, paired with an i7 950. I'd also be able to get the 'dominator' memory. However, I'd have to continue using the EVGA 8800gt that I already have.

Am I going to see much improvement in FSX with this plan?

Thanks for any input!

pied
    Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak......

I'm going with a 1366 board this year, and have scored an Asus Rampage III Extreme mobo, an I7-990X CPU (same price as the 975), 12 Gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (ASUS QPL certified), an OCZ Single 12 V rail gold certified 1250 watt P/S, and a Zalman CNPS9900 CPU Cooler. I'll keep my two Raedon 5870 graphics cards, the Velociraptor drives (only SATA II) and my current case.

Down the road, I'll spring for an SSD and a couple of SATA 3 drives. Sandy Bridge may be next year's project. I've got the gulftown urge this year. One guy has his 990x pushing 5 MHZ on the Zalman cooler...lol, I'm sure my results will vary. I have no desire to toast a $1000.00 CPU so I'll go mild.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    Aloha Ted (and other experts!),

I've gotten to the point where my gaming machine needs an upgrade, and this rig needs new MB.

I'm not flush enough to replace the MB/CPU/Memory and Vid Card all at the same time....

Here is what I'm thinking about:

Getting the Gigabyte MB recommended at the beginning of this thread, paired with an i7 950. I'd also be able to get the 'dominator' memory. However, I'd have to continue using the EVGA 8800gt that I already have.

Am I going to see much improvement in FSX with this plan?

Thanks for any input!

pied
    Later, when you combine a GTX570 or 580 you will see more of a significant gain but if you will OC your new system to about 3.8GHz or better then yes you will see some gain over what you have now but very little because the problem will be with the 8800GT bandwidth. The SSD and Nvidia FERMI video cards are really winners in FSX so you will want to add those later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhaenens View Post
    I'm going with a 1366 board this year, and have scored an Asus Rampage III Extreme mobo, an I7-990X CPU (same price as the 975), 12 Gigs of Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (ASUS QPL certified), an OCZ Single 12 V rail gold certified 1250 watt P/S, and a Zalman CNPS9900 CPU Cooler. I'll keep my two Raedon 5870 graphics cards, the Velociraptor drives (only SATA II) and my current case.

Down the road, I'll spring for an SSD and a couple of SATA 3 drives. Sandy Bridge may be next year's project. I've got the gulftown urge this year. One guy has his 990x pushing 5 MHZ on the Zalman cooler...lol, I'm sure my results will vary. I have no desire to toast a $1000.00 CPU so I'll go mild.

Jim
    VERY VERY NICE Jim!

AMD processors?

I went to my local Micro Center the other day specing parts for a new PC with TxNetCop's list in hand. When I mentioned the i7 950, the guy at the store showed me a 3.2 AMD processor that was less than the intel one, and was clocked higher out of the box.

Is there a particular reason to avoid AMD CPUs?

Also, he mention that triple channel RAM (vs dual) only has an impat when you over clock. Is that true? (I don't plan to overclock).

Bottom line...help me get smarter on substituting components, please. Or tell me why it's a bad idea...

Thanks,
    Kent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    I went to my local Micro Center the other day specing parts for a new PC with TxNetCop's list in hand. When I mentioned the i7 950, the guy at the store showed me a 3.2 AMD processor that was less than the intel one, and was clocked higher out of the box.

Is there a particular reason to avoid AMD CPUs?

Also, he mention that triple channel RAM (vs dual) only has an impat when you over clock. Is that true? (I don't plan to overclock).

Bottom line...help me get smarter on substituting components, please. Or tell me why it's a bad idea...

Thanks,
    Kent

We tested AMD against Intel on many occasions Intel always out-performs AMD in nearly every catagory. This has also been established by other renowned testing houses on the Internet. For instance the newest 3.3Ghz AMD Phenom II X6 1100 six core cannot best the older 3Ghz quad core i7 950. While the results at TechCorp varied slightly this is a close example. The i7 950 overclocks higher and cooler as well.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...onclusion.html

Another bench test
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=100
    Ted

'Nuf said on that...

....sounds that from an FSX standpoint anyway, the Intel i7 950 wins.

Is the comment about dual-channel vs. triple channel true (triple needed only for overcloking?).

Also, with the i7 950, 6 or 8GB of 1600 RAM, and the GTX 580, with the sliders maxed, what fps rates should I get in various areas?

Thanks again,

Kent

Blog Entries

Is the comment about dual-channel vs. triple channel true (triple needed only for overcloking?).

Also, with the i7 950, 6 or 8GB of 1600 RAM, and the GTX 580, with the sliders maxed, what fps rates should I get in various areas?

Thanks again,

Kent
    With the i7 900 socket series CPUs 1366 you must use triple channel-no choice. Some dual channels may work depending on which motherboard you buy but the performance will be horrible.
    Enjoy your new build
    Ted

Thanks again,

Kent
    Hi Kent

I was about to order a 2600K when the 'news' was released, so I went for a 950. I am satisfied with the results. Currently - with my setup/tweaks etc - my FR varies between 30 and 60 most of the time over OrbX addon airport rural scenery - with many sliders maxed - and flying a decent payware aircraft (eg A2A WOP Spitfire etc).

If you dont overclock then 1333 memory will be fine. For an i7 950 - 6GB (3 2GB sticks) and W7 64 is ideal for FSX.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul...

...that helps me with making decisions on the new rig.

TxNet - I am going to heed your advice and go with the i7 950...

Kent

Blog Entries
    You might go ahead and look at the i7 960 now that prices have come down. However there is nothing wrong with the 950 if it is a budget decision
    Enjoy

Build complete. OC to 4.2 mhz on air and no temp is above 47 deg c after 1.5 hr on FSX . Framerates in NYC no less than 22. HT disabled, no affinity mask. Core volts: 1.3 Dimm volts 1.6.

I think there's finally a computer that will run FSX. This is without ssd's or SATA III. No stutters.
    Life is good.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Congrats Jim you are correct! The right i7 Combo will run FSX extremely well
    Ted

Charter Member 2015
    Excellent setup there,Jim! Congrats and enjoy! :ernae:
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

OK Ted I need a recommendation, I know the video cards change as often as I change my shorts ( sometimes I wonder if it is more often...) I was looking at the GTX 460, then the Gigabyte GTX 580 but locally there are none to be had, so what is your current fav?

Just to put this into perspective I am looking to install two cards, I want 4 monitors, and I will upgrade the PSU if I have to - I have a single rail 750watt now. The mother board is an MSI I7, socket 920 and I have 12 gig or DDR3 RAM. I have no real performance issues at the moment, FSX runs smooth at 20FPS locked, with only a rare studder (I have done next to no tweaking on this system yet) my goal is 2 24.5" monitors and 2 19" and I don't want to introduce problems with heat, power or performance so any recomendations will be much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte View Post
    OK Ted I need a recommendation, I know the video cards change as often as I change my shorts ( sometimes I wonder if it is more often...) I was looking at the GTX 460, then the Gigabyte GTX 580 but locally there are none to be had, so what is your current fav?

Just to put this into perspective I am looking to install two cards, I want 4 monitors, and I will upgrade the PSU if I have to - I have a single rail 750watt now. The mother board is an MSI I7, socket 920 and I have 12 gig or DDR3 RAM. I have no real performance issues at the moment, FSX runs smooth at 20FPS locked, with only a rare studder (I have done next to no tweaking on this system yet) my goal is 2 24.5" monitors and 2 19" and I don't want to introduce problems with heat, power or performance so any recomendations will be much appreciated.
    Gee Mike I have never tested any of the video cards with four monitors before. I would hate to make a recommendation that would not pull that off. I will see if James will let me test four monitors next week and see what video cards are left to test with.
    Ted

Thanks Ted, I am running 2 monitors on an GT9600 now and it works fine, I think the biggest problem may be heat and power, I think the performance should be fine for my purposes, I am just not sure a 750Watt PSU will drive 2 high power cards and I am a little concerned about heat as well.

Looking at the cards I mentioned they have dual DVI outputs so they should work fine I just wonder how much power they will require and hot hot they will get. I have a coolermaster case and it cools fine but I think this might push it just a bit...
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Charter Member 2015
    Perhaps an AMD/ATI Eyefinity setup would suit? I've not tested it myself,but have heard some good results have been seen in other PC games.

Members who have read this thread: 2