OFF Tips and Cheats - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OFF Tips and Cheats

kgeldhof

problem with gunner

When I'm in the gunner's seat, I don't find controls to move the gun ?
    I only use the keyboard to fly around, is that the problem ?

GregG
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyguy View Post
    In the proper hands, it was a great weapon, if the pilot lived long-enough to learn it. In 1917 she killed so-many pilots, she was called the widowmaker. If you can get it up in the air, too steep a climb, it stalls. A tight turn at low speed, it stalls. A sharp turn to the left it dives, a sharp turn to the right, it climbs. If it turns too long, to the right, it stalls.
    When you turn quickly to the left, if you're not expecting the dive, it's a killer.
    High Rudder must be used in turns, when the aircraft is sideways, the rudder is used as a huge elevator.
    It'll then turn tighter then anybody.
    It then becomes a very dangerous weapon, with the twin guns, and the great sight.
    IF you're still alive that is

I'm a fan of the Sopwith Triplane, excellent visability, great low speed manuverability, but it's single gun, but that's enough if you hit your target
    Thanks for the info. However, I'm a bit confused. According to these sources it's reversed, so the right turn is the diving one, and the left is the climbing one. The motor pulled the aircraft to the right. So how is it?
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ot...amel-turn.html
    http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...-468/ch2-2.htm

gimpyguy

Player Gunnery Spread

There are three possibilies: Normal = Default. . . Tight = ruin someones day . . Wide = for all the masochists out there

There are many different explinations, this is mine

Vibration is not a part of accurate gunfire, and should be eliminated if possible. When Uncle Sam dragged my butt, to the rifle range. He taught me how to control my breath, for accuracy. Olympic shooting teams train to lower their heartbeat, because vibration is not desired

Normally an aircraft must be pretty smooth in flight, loud but smooth.
    It must vibrate, like a washing machine on steroids, from that Machine Gun Recoil whenever it's fired.
    That's my point, twin machine guns, would produce twice the amount of vibration, when fired, so those I would put on Widest.
    Where as a single machine gun firing, would create less vibration, therefore it should be set to Tightest

The exception is the SE5, it has two machine guns, but only one is in the fusilage, the other on the upper wing, isolating them from eachothers vibration, so there I would use Tightest

Fighter Aircraft in the succeeding years had to have recoil absorbing gun mounts, but not in 1917

gimpyguy

Different Ways of Killing Your Engine

It really makes No difference in the game, because if the enemy didn't set your aircraft on fire in the air, there's no way you're going to burst into flames on the ground. However IF in 1917 you stopped your prop from turning under power by retarding your Magneto 3 times. Your engine will indeed stop running, but now you will continue pumping a mixture of aviation fuel and air, or aviation fuel and Castor oil to a Red Hot Air cooled engine without it running. NOT A GOOD IDEA

On a modern aircraft engine, when the engine stops running, the fuel pump stops pressurizing, and everything comes to a halt.

But in 1917 there was NO fuel pump, air was pressurized by the pilot, via a bicycle pump deal atop the fuel in the tank. Which can explain your engine just stopping, without a fuel leak. An air leak, like from one bullet hole, means you can pump till you're blue in the face, but that engine is gonna stop.

The only SAFE way to stop that engine is via Mixture Idle Cutoff, problem being that's 3 Keystrokes (Ctrl+Shft+F6). Which is a definate candidate for a little work in Control Options

I'm just amazed at how many people, recommend the Magneto method to newbies. Then rave about Immersion

I guess it just comes easier to me, I've never flown a modern engined aircraft

cpirrmann

Searching this forum

Many new players have asserted that they found nothing or very little in searching this forum. It is better to use the advanced search as the default search does fail to find anything. From the search drop-down, select Advanced Search. Type what you're looking for in the 'Keywords' box. In the 'Search in Forums' window, under 'the Simulators', highlight 'Over Flanders Fields' and click on the 'Search Now' button. This should yield better results.

gimpyguy

Machine Gun through a turning propellor

To some this is ridiculously basic, to others it's a revalation. My only request is that corrections, be offered in the form of a normal thread, to prevent cluttering up the STICKY area, because once it appears here, we appear to be stuck with it. I will gladly make the needed edits, if needed.

In 1915 a French Pilot by the name of 'Roland Garros' decided that the ability of a pilot to fire his machine gun at the enemy, would be a good idea, formerly it meant shooting off your own propellor, not a fair trade.
    Granted the Nieuport 11 existed, but it was difficult to aim, and impossible to reload in flight. So Roland abit of a nut, attached Heavy Steel Bullet Deflecting Wedges on his propellor, at the point of bullet impact. Don't want to be his wing man, thank you. And let the ball roll with his Hotchkiss Machine Gun.

He was Big Man on Campus, till engine failure forced him down, behind enemy lines, he tried to burn his steed, but the Germans found out the secret to his success.

That started the Race to develop a system by which the pilot could fire his Machine Gun at his enemy, in direct line of sight, without shooting off your own propeller.

That led to the interupter gear, a system of cams, and control rods, which prevented the gun from firing, when the propeller was in the line of fire. It saved alot of spining propellers, but it must have caused alot of jam-ups too.

The first aircraft equiped with the interrupter gear was the Fokker EIII. Wing warping and all, but it could fire through it's own prop, that made it a very effective weapon.

It must've slowed the rate of fire, when compared to the earthbound weapon. But who cared

But as it was in War, aircraft get shot down, and the secret no longer was.

And the Race is On

Polovski
    Quote Originally Posted by GregG View Post
    Thanks for the info. However, I'm a bit confused. According to these sources it's reversed, so the right turn is the diving one, and the left is the climbing one. The motor pulled the aircraft to the right. So how is it?
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ot...amel-turn.html
    http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...-468/ch2-2.htm
    Climbs in LH turn, nose falls in RH turn. Nearly every write up confirms this- I only found one article pointing to the other way.

gimpyguy
    If you check out #8 of this Thread . . all those links work. However one of them will only provide a list of titles

http://www.raindesert.com/great_war/great_war_index.htm

Everyone of those clips Listed is on U-tube. The chap who provided that list is making a documentary of WWI War in the Air
    You will find it easier, if you print it out

Search for the number and title . . they're all there, you have but to look

gimpyguy

The Finer Points of WARP

Will this apply to Phase 3, got me ? but here and now

Makes No difference "HOW" you managed to engage WARP, conventionaly or with WarpZap

Assuming, you're already cheating with the TAC, it'll tell you how many miles to your Next Waypoint. It's your call, but below 20 miles, I'll fly it. However it's a great way to reach mission altitude quickly.

If it states say: 23 miles, you may elect to Warp the first 18, and fly the rest. You achieved 15,000 the easy way, now you want control.
    Easily Done . .with the Cancel Warp Command ( Control+X )

Sometimes you are awakened Mid-Warp because of enemy activity in the area ( you're Not getting penalized, for using Warp ) they would've been there anyway, but you might've missed seeing them.

The reverse is true in 1915, or early 1916, or in a quiet sector.
    I've engaged warp for that first leg of the mission, and flown five waypoints in about 30 seconds, saw the banner, landed and headed for the Officers Mess. Sooo your computer hasn't gone around the bend, it has been known to happen. If there's No enemy contact, Warp continues

Hylander_1314
    Hey Gimpy, any ideas why wingmen after take off will start to circle and get stuck? Then tightly circle until they leave a smear on the or near the airfield?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Polovski
    It's WW2 AI code struggling with the slowest low powered WW1 planes. That's why you need P3.

gimpyguy
    I can only think that you're turning too tightly, they try to follow and lock-up, I'd say if you need to go left 115 degrees, do it in 30 degree bites, with a few miles inbetween. Assuming you're cheating already with the TAC up, don't be in a hurry to get that neon line vertical

A good cheat is bring up the ( F5 ) HUD, put the printed part in the upper right corner. Only save the (F5) compass, throw the rest over the side.
    Drag your TAC to the Lower Left corner, center that compass in the TAC screen, both still work perfectly. Also you don't need to wait around for the neon line to reappear, or command Advance Waypoint.
    It was 320 too the Target, it's 140 Home

Too really be an advanced cheat, hit ( Z ) and leave it up, that mass jumble of numbers, is all the info that those gauges use, you just need to know where to look, it features your Speedometer, Altimeter, Flight Angle, and a very useful timer, for Patrolling 13 minutes
    Notice: I said Timer, not clock, because it Will state 1943 at times

Or just live with it, cheat lots, and wait for Phase 3

Many times you HAD two wingmen before you Warped, and now you don't. What Happened?

It's Phase 2, get used to it

I've found if you back down on your throttle for a while, they'll try to pass you, when you see them, you warp

That's the main reason, I don't use WARPZAP. It works Yes, but it was added later on, it was not released with Phase 2 . V1.9e was out for a long time

tomj421

Tips and tricks

Hope you don't mind if I copy the tips and tricks on to word and then offer them if anyone wants them.
    I have update them and now they are over 100 pages long.
    If you don't mind I will send them to anyone that PM,s me.
    The word doc will let you connect to a lot of the files if you are on line when you read it.
    Also thanks to duck I got my DVD of phase two. If anyone needs one I will send them. Just PM me.

gimpyguy

Claim Confirmation is too difficult

Let's forget the movies, WAR is hell. How these guys did what they did I'll never start to understand. But things haven't changed all that much as far a receiving credit for good deeds.

Home Office want's so many particulars on the form, then that report is submitted to your commanding officer, who signs it, after interviewing witnesses if they're handy, and he might put a message on it, saying it's a clean kill, or the man's a bounder. It's never a good idea, to piss-off your commanding officer.
    Then he gives the Report to his pencil pusher. Who takes IT along with all the other paperwork, puts it in a big pile, which includes the request for more toiletpaper. When the pile gets high enough, it gets stuffed in a briefcase, and delivered to the Home Office Pencil Pusher

He's probaly pleased as punch, to get the work, the large pile is now on His desk. He sorts into different piles ( If his Bunion is giving him trouble) it could take a bit longer.

So it gets taken into the Colonel at Home Office, who is an ex flier himself, he now flys a desk, because of wounds he got in battle. Hope it ain't winter, because his wounds bother him then, and he ain't in good mood. Gives most of his work to the sargent.

Too be continued

gimpyguy
    I can't edit my own Post after 8 Hours . . it seems.

To make a long story short. You can shoot down an enemy aircraft over your own field. He could hit the Lawn right at your commanders feet.

You still need to fill out that claim form PROPERLY, it needs to be verified, it has to be sent to Home Office, where it is at the mercy of the pencil pushers.

When and If it comes back ( things do get lost) it might be rejected for many reasons, if it was approved you get the Kill

Many times in real life a decorated ace had 19 claims, yet only 6 Kills

Is this thread pertaining to Phase 2 or 3? If it's two, I'd like to merge it into the Phase 2 info thread..please advise...middle
    There are 2 constants in the universe:
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

gimpyguy
    My last two posts speak of the existing conditions encountered in Phase 3. All the remainder would technically address Phase 2, however a large percentage would still apply in Phase 3

Please Don't Make it Vanish, I'm getting too old for this:bs:

gimpyguy

Royal Australian Flying Corps

Used to have a Link (that worked) to an articale termed: 'The Royal Austrailian Flying Corps' which spoke of the utterly unbelievable things that the instructor would teach his pupils about how to make good your escape, when absolutely needed, and if the enemy tried to follow, he'd kill himself in the process. To illustrate the tactic, he took an SE5a up to 15000 did a nose down total Dive at Full throttle.
    Hit 285mph and sucessfully pulled out at 700 feet
    Theory being the SE5a, could stand that type of abuse. While anything the German's had couldn't

The speedometers of 1917 Didn't go that high, so the cadets were told to "Watch for the Ripples" of the cloth covering their lower wing
    1 Ripple was 250mph
    2 Ripple was 265mph
    3 Ripple was 280mph
    There is NO 4th Ripple, the wings rip off

I just Did it, in BHAH . . It'll clear your sinuses real good, especially with Trackir. But after 250mph, you don't need it anymore, as you won't be looking around much if atall anymore.

Thank God, I didn't need to 'Watch for the Ripples" You could use the F5 gauges, just the speedo & altmeter, throw the rest over the side. Or do it like I did, and just use (Z)

Go QC FreeFlight. . start at 15000. . Auto-Mixture in Worshop . . SE5a Pilot

PS. . Don't try it with your good pilot . .you just might kill him