Adding scenery - Win7 64

Thread: Adding scenery - Win7 64

Question Adding scenery - Win7 64

It might sound weird, but I'm unable to add Ian Pearson's scenery on my new computer. Somehow it doesn't recognise the files as scenery and when I click on OK, I just go to the sun-folders (scenery/textures) under the scenery folder and I'm not able to add the scenery to the scenery list in FSX....

Does anybody has an idea waht is going wrong and how I can solve this?

Thanks,
    Huub

If you're running Win7 Huub, after clicking "OK" right click anywhere inside the box and it should add it to the library list.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Nice vid Bill, this should be a permanent sticky based on the number of people who run into this very problem.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Nice vid Bill, this should be a permanent sticky based on the number of people who run into this very problem.:salute:
    Good idea. Thanks!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

In Vista all that is required is to hover over the scenery folder selected, no clicking, then it shows highlighted, and then ok the addition. I wonder if this is the same in Windows 7?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    In Vista all that is required is to hover over the scenery folder selected, no clicking, then it shows highlighted, and then ok the addition. I wonder if this is the same in Windows 7?

It is the same in Win7, I actually never had the issue in Vista but I did in Win 7/64 and using a right click inside the dialogue box then the OK and the scenery will load in the library, it's a weird issue but a simple work a round.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Thanks guys, you all have been a great help and thanks for making this very clear video Bill!

To avoid that we will end up with a load of useful threads sticked to the forum it might be an idea to have these threads save in the wiki part of this site.

And Roger it works as shown in Bill's video. The 'normal' way a I always did on my old PC running on Vista didn't work here. The extra click is required with Windows7 (at least on my machine).

Cheers,
    Huub

If I had an € for every time I had to read this question so far, I could afford a PPL...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    If I had an € for every time I had to read this question so far, I could afford a PPL...
    Hence the video.

Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    Hence the video.
    Before I asked the question here I googled on the question, but that didn't make the movie show up. I guess as we don't all switch to Windows 7 at the same time, the question will be asked a few times more.

In the meanwhile I have a second question. Is it normal that you have to install every thing twice in Windows 7? Every time I install something I get a message the software might not have been installed properly. So far I have chosen the option to reinstall the software after which the message didn't return.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Before I asked the question here I googled on the question, but that didn't make the movie show up. I guess as we don't all switch to Windows 7 at the same time, the question will be asked a few times more.

In the meanwhile I have a second question. Is it normal that you have to install every thing twice in Windows 7? Every time I install something I get a message the software might not have been installed properly. So far I have chosen the option to reinstall the software after which the message didn't return.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Huub, I just click that it installed correctly the first time. It seems to be an issue with some installers. Everything installs correctly, but Windows doesn't seem to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    Huub, I just click that it installed correctly the first time. It seems to be an issue with some installers. Everything installs correctly, but Windows doesn't seem to know that.
    Yea, very odd, but I'm like you Bill, I just always say it installed correctly. It doesn't seem to do it will all installers, but it does happen quite a bit.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Okay. After several previously failed attempts, I tried installing the Jim Dhaenens Tuskegee scenery (I have friends who live in the area) following the tips in the video. Everything seemed to go in properly once I followed the directions, but the airfields never showed up in the menu and now I'm getting an error message whenever I start up FSX - Scenery.cfg file error. Invalid Remote scenery path in scenery Area.115. Click OK to continue.

The sim starts up normally after I click OK but I don't know why there's an error message in the first place. The Scenery.cfg file says Area.115. is Reno. Apart from these frustrating little quirks with Windows 7 I'm really enjoying FSX. Does anyone know why I'm getting this error message? Many thanks.

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yea, very odd, but I'm like you Bill, I just always say it installed correctly. It doesn't seem to do it will all installers, but it does happen quite a bit.:salute:
    i would love to know wherei may find that please
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

clicking in the box in Win 8

BTW.......the same goes for WINDOWS 8 too.
    At least my new win 8 in my new laptop.
    I went nuts trying to figure what was going on and by accident I noticed 'clicking in the box' completed the task after selecting the scenery!