Mesh problem.

Thread: Mesh problem.

Blog Entries

Mesh problem.

I have at least one area in my Silver Wings install where the mesh collapses to an elevation of 3.6'MSL for approximately 20 miles around the aircraft. Only the lakes remain at their proper elevation. While flying, the area ahead will collapse, and the area behind is restored. The problem area extends from just north of SAZS San Carlos De Bariloche, Argentina at S41*31.11', north to S28* 7.50', north of Santiago Chile. The anomaly seems to extend both east and west across the continent.
    I had installed Rhumbaflappy's 5, 7, and 8 LOD mesh and a LOD 9 for South America. After the South American mesh was installed about a month ago, I made several flights around the area and all looked OK. The same mesh installs are duplicated in Golden Wings but all seems normal there.

I have tried a number of things including replacing some of the LOD9 .bgl files. Also tried unchecking all of the add-on mesh files. No luck. I suspect some missing or corrupt default mesh files but don't know where they are. Any help or ideas appreciated.

Thank you,
    John

Attachment 23951

Hey John

I don't know what the problem is, but that is one Hell of a Dam, I didn't see no spill way and it looks awful full so I hope it don't rain.

:ernae::ernae::ernae:
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T Square View Post
    ...it looks awful full so I hope it don't rain.
    Hey T, hows it going? Yeah we are keeping to fair weather untill this is fixed. It's spring in those latitudes.

I had a mesh problem like that a few years ago and best as I recall, I had to re-install FS.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I had a mesh problem like that a few years ago and best as I recall, I had to re-install FS.
    Thanks for responding Willy. I may well end up re-installing. This is a Silver Wings install, what is your opinion on using default .bgl files from a GW3 install to replace suspect scenery files?

Silver Wings is Golden Wings with the missing airports restored. The .bgls would be the same.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Willy. Before I go to re-install I would like to try isolating the South American default .bgl files in SW and replace them with the ones from GW. Do you know if the SAME folder (as in FS9/Scenery/SAME) holds the South American .bgl files?

You don't have to have duplicate mesh folders and bgls in your different FS installations. Just make a folder called Mesh and put all your mesh bgls into it. It can be anywhere - in one of your FS installations or somewhere separate from all of them. You don't even have to have separate folders for different LOD mesh, since FS reads all your mesh bgls and renders the most detailed one available for wherever you are in the FS world. Activate the Mesh folder in the Scenery Library like anything else. As for priority, I would set it down with the basic FS9 scenery stuff, so that all your add-on sceneries reside above it.

Blog Entries
    Hello Mick thank you for that tip. I may give that a try. Should the default .bgl files also be moved to single mesh folder?

At the moment, my SW install is not appear to be reading any mesh in this area. I would have thought that if the highest resolution mesh in the area (LOD9) failed, the next one would fill in, and so on.

It is also interesting that in the affected area, the sim refuses to draw the terrain in the immediate vicinity of the aircraft, yet you can observe the terrain collapse as you approach it, and the terrain behind restored.

What scenery programs do you have in your SW install? You might have one that includes some mesh in that area that you are unaware of. If you have some different sceneries you might look in all your scenery folders.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Hello Mick thank you for that tip. I may give that a try. Should the default .bgl files also be moved to single mesh folder?
    I would leave all the default files right where they are. Sometimes the directions that come with certain complicated sceneries will instruct you to remove or replace certain stock bgl files, but otherwise leave them be. Adding mesh doesn't require doing anything with any stock files.

At the moment, my SW install is not appear to be reading any mesh in this area. I would have thought that if the highest resolution mesh in the area (LOD9) failed, the next one would fill in, and so on.
    I would think so too. That's how it's supposed to work.

It is also interesting that in the affected area, the sim refuses to draw the terrain in the immediate vicinity of the aircraft, yet you can observe the terrain collapse as you approach it, and the terrain behind restored.
    Strangest thing I ever heard of! I haven't a clue as to what the cause might be.

I went through all this with Rhumbaflappy's mesh. It worked great except for South America which had the receding terrain and all. I never found the cause but installing Any Weir's mesh for South America (Avsim, sa1.zip, ca-4.zip) and layering it just above Rhumba's mesh made it go away.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Blog Entries
    Many thanks Aeromed, I will give it a try.

Blog Entries
    I found a thread over at Cal-Classics that identified the cause of this problem. I should have known it was them Kiwis that done it.

http://calclassic.proboards.com/inde...ay&thread=3382

Andy (DC6tryer) had experience the same problem. He said it was a wayward flatten file in a New Zealand add-on mesh that affects South America! I had just installed the NZ mesh so I unchecked it and presto, the South American LOD9 mesh re-inflated. I am hoping that Andy knows how to fix the NZ mesh but the work-around is sufficient for now.

Many thanks to all for your help, and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Best regards,
    John