Vertigo Studios F8F Bearcat Released - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Vertigo Studios F8F Bearcat Released

Charter Member 09
    Thats true. Between 1946 and 1948 they had four versions of Bearcats. The first ones only lasted about a month. They were so nose heavy that we had to wrap 200 pounds of lead around the tail hook. The second one had engine problems and lasted about 3 months. The next one had plastic wing tips and one of them flew off when Robbie Robinson augered into the runway at Jax. But at least Grumman gave them the best off the line.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

SOH-CM-2024
    In truth Helldiver, there were 17 F8F-1 Beacats to serve with the Blue Angels between late 1946 season midway through the 1949 season.

Are you sure you are not speaking of 1946 or 1947 season Bearcats HD? The first Bearcats to have the scripted Blue Angels team name on the cowling was early during the 1948 season. This script is carried on to this day. I have two references to Blue Angel Bearcats and both state that the team name was applied for the 1948 season and carried over through the 1949 season until the team transitioned to Panther jets. In truth, I should close off the gun ports. In my plastic modeling zen, i would never be permitted to not do so. But the sim community is more forgiving on the whole. And most of the time, together we generally work out a solution. I bummed about Vertigo's F6F-3/% Hellcat series nit having the correct 18-cyinger P & W 2800 radial, seems the Bearcat suffers such injustice also. Noth had two banks of seven cylinders. Picking nit off sweaters, I know, and one really can't see the engines that well, particularly in the Bearcat. But of the two, the Bearcat is an absolute delight to fly. She does all commands just right, even landing is not at all difficult. I find landing low speed rag wings much harder.

It's a great work mates, save the radial, and of an aircraft that has always been close to my heart. It's entire VC layout and view from the bubble canopy make flying from the VC all the more real and sensible.

I did the additional Blue Angel paint using Dino's kit, have a couple more in mind. I never worked of F8Fs like HD, but I saw 'em when I was just a kid and just something about that stubby little airplane burned a cockle in my heart.

The wing tip failures you speak of were the shear-off tips, which were removed from many Bearcats and replaced with metal on others.

Attached are two photos of Blue Angels Bearcats; the first during the 1948 season, the later during the first half of the 1949 season.

Charter Member 09
    They would have been after June of 1948 when I got discharged. The wings were painted blue and no Blue Angels script was on the cowl. Furthermore there were no back braces in the cockpit. I only saw them once and that was the first ones that were nose heavy,

Patch seems to be available now:

With the recent release of F8F Bearcat we're pleased to announce that we have compiled a list of reports which our customers have so kindly sent in.

Without your dedication and input it wouldn't be possible for us to continue which we hope are high end products.

The comprehensive list of corrections and also small additions are as follows:

1. Resolved crash-to-desktop when changing aircraft.
    2. Smoothened out fuselage side on all models.
    3. Rewritten automatic pilot logic to correct issues with selecting roll amount.
    4. Added multiplayer model set.
    5. Added new thumbnails to illustrate 'normal' and multiplayer models.
    6. Removed rear canopy brace on F8F-1 models.
    7. Rewritten fuel system logic to correct fuel usage issues.
    8. Added feature to show fuel depletion in real time via the configuration editor.
    9. Added 2D pop-up automatic pilot control.
    10. Redone rudder pedal animation in VC.
    11. Corrected tail wheel lock lever animation.
    12. Corrected oil flap lever animation.
    13. Corrected landing gear lever animation.
    14. Extended landing and approach light splashes to cover both wing areas.
    15. Corrected magneto function.
    16. Increased fuel pressure value.
    17. Added animation to fuel pressure gauge to show fuel pressure increase when electric pump is used.
    18. Corrected transparent canopy rail under-surface in VC.
    19. Corrected radio compass needle animation.
    20. Corrected engine condition gauge to resolve issues with pressure and temperature indicators.
    21. Corrected CHT gauge animation.
    22. Corrected manifold pressure gauge animation.
    23. Increased elevator authority. This will now allow roughly 5 Gs depending on speed and type of maneuver.

NOTE: If you're a current customer, simply download the F8F again from your account, un-install your current installation and reinstall with the same license key.
    For those that have exceeded your maximum download limits, simply contact us through our ticket support system and present your email address and account details in order for your Download Limits to be corrected.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Great seems like everything has been done!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

We'll see how she flies.....

Cosmetic fixes look great, but I think this might be one that the community has to do the final work on.

cautiously optimistic at the moment,

Chris

I've been pretty critical of Vertigo for this F8F as it was pre-patch --- but all is forgiven with this patch. The aircraft flies very well now, looks great, and functions properly. They've made a 100% satisfied customer out of me.

If anyone was on the fence about this aircraft, I suggest they purchase it when able. They are now getting an aircraft that truly deserves the vertigo name and will live up to their expectations.

Cheers,

Chris:salute:

Well.... downloaded 1.1 and flew it and I love it. All the issues I had are gone. Great job Vertigo Studios!

I have one request......can someone help me with adding a light hint of exaust smoke while in flight?

I feel like I have to post again just to let everyone know how happy I am with this aircraft. I was so upset when it first came out because I had put this airplane on a high pedestal, and was disappointed when it did not live up. After the patch, it deserves its place on a high pedestal.

Has anyone had problems with clicking the battery switch on in the VC? I've had to use a keyboard command, then it will click on and off ok. Maybe i'm missing a step.

Cheers,

Chris

I download now!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Charter Member 09
    Skyhawk, With a good clean engine and it properly leaned back there was no exhaust smoke. Only during starting and full rich conditions would there be any smoke.

Patch is out...Superb job by Dean and Team!

SOH-CM-2024
    Haven't seen the patch in the forum at Vertigo yet mal, but it is extensive. I just wish they would replace both the Hellcat and Bearcat with 18-cylinder radials in lieu of the 14-cylinder radials they possess. It is something I can live without, but being an anal plastic modeler and dare I say, a judge to boot, I pay attention to things like that.

Edit: my bad, patch is out, you have to re-download the F8F Installer through one's account, I see it is now Version 1.1, doing so now.

Caz

Happy Halloween to everybody at Vertigo and , of course, at SOH

Simple question:

I've just downloaded (yesterday) F8F from FlightSim.Com and very happy but I would like to know if Patch 1.1 has been included in it ?????
    Thanks
    Italo

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by italoc View Post

Simple question:

I've just downloaded (yesterday) F8F from FlightSim.Com and very happy but I would like to know if Patch 1.1 has been included in it ?????
    Thanks
    Italo
    Your download at My Account should say Version 1.1.exe italo. I had Version 1.0 and downloaded version 1.1 yesterday. I uninstalled version 1.0 and reinstalled Version 1.1. Since I had the paint expansion pack, I had to uninstall that and reinstall it again too.

I love the airplane, it is rather easy to fly, will get you there fast too.

Caz

Charter Member 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by italoc View Post

Simple question:

Thanks
    Italo
    If you open up the aircraft.cfg the header should read

// VERTIGO STUDIOS
    // GRUMMAN F8F BEARCAT
    // VERSION 1.1.22102010
    // FSX

Bruce
    My system specs are The wifey says no to a new computer

Just bought mine a couple of hours ago, and that's what's in the aircraft.cfg. Thanks, Bruce.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by bruce448 View Post
    If you open up the aircraft.cfg the header should read

// VERTIGO STUDIOS
    // GRUMMAN F8F BEARCAT
    // VERSION 1.1.22102010
    // FSX

Bruce
    Thank you all
    Everything clear now: I've got V 1.1 allright.
    Going to fly ... extensively now:salute:
    Ciao
    Italo

Exclamation

Beware that if you have the repaints package (Downloaded after the release of 1.1) the header of the .cfg will go back to this:
    // VERTIGO STUDIOS
    // GRUMMAN F8F BEARCAT
    // VERSION 1.0.22092010
    // FSX

If you have only the bear without the repaints package it will be like this:
    // VERTIGO STUDIOS
    // GRUMMAN F8F BEARCAT
    // VERSION 1.1.22102010
    // FSX

I´m only telling this because i read the above posts and looking for mine it was: VERSION 1.0.22092010 even after the installation of 1.1 + repaints package. So i uninstalled all the package and reinstalled it again looking for the .cfg headers after each install. And i discovered the above.

Maybe this information avoid people reinstall it all again.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

SOH-CM-2024
    I just had a sweet flight this afternoon, 24 fps all the way. Recorded in Flight Recorder, then captured the playback in FRAPS. FSX is so weird, so days, it is smooth as silk, even with heavy laden payware. I swear this Bearcat is the best thing in the sim world from the VC.

Caz

[YOUTUBE]0AQsmmwmRE[/YOUTUBE]

SOH-CM-2024
    I just had a sweet flight this afternoon, 24 fps all the way. Recorded in Flight Recorder, then captured the playback in FRAPS. FSX is so weird, so days, it is smooth as silk, even with heavy laden payware. I swear this Bearcat is the best thing in the sim world from the VC.

Caz

[YOUTUBE]-0AQsmmwmRE[/YOUTUBE]

man, I'd fly with that music any day!

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post

Caz

[YOUTUBE]0AQsmmwmRE[/YOUTUBE]
    I agree 100%
    Italo

Charter Member 09
    Cazzie - That take off in your movie was not typical of an F8-F. It took too much runway and the tail never lifted until it was airborne. The snap roll was lackadaisical. I once heard the Bearcat as being a engine with a saddle. It was that and even more.
    The take offs were unbelievable and as many we saw, we would always pause to watch them.

Have to agree with Helldiver on this one. I tested the Bearcat against the RealAir Spitfire. The Bearcat had all its ammunition removed and I used full throttle. The Spitfire got up in the air quicker and I only used +8 lbs boost (also it was closer to gross weight)!!

Regards, Mike Mann

Members who have read this thread: 2