[Released] FSX Solomon 1943 - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Released] FSX Solomon 1943

Lost here, where does HMS Eagle come into it ? as far as I know the only British carrier in the area in 1943 was HMS Victorious working with Saratoga

What would be great would be to have Usio's ships e.g. enemy task force groups sailing in AI tracks around the islands, and smaller destoyer/cruiser wolf packs (ie Tokyo Express) sailing on tracks in the Slot. Guess I can experiment adding/substituting these AI ships using the existing tracks Dave made.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

. . . almost forgot! Usio also has some great looking Elco USN PT boats that can be based e.g. at or around Tulagi and Rendova, a la JFK . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Needs looking at historywise since HMS Eagle was sunk in 1942.

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_eagle.htm

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    . . . almost forgot! Usio also has some great looking Elco USN PT boats that can be based e.g. at or around Tulagi and Rendova, a la JFK . .

If you look closely in the FSX Solomon scenery (which has Usios Elcos as scenery objects), I added the Macambo PT Boat base on that little island in the Tulagi Harbour, as well as the Todd City Navy base at Rendova. Here, PT109 is mooring at the beach...

As for HMS Eagle: my bad. I mistook something here... I already converted it, though. I'll leave it out, maybe I'll make a second package with european ships as a follow up. Thanks for the correction! Nice ship, by the way, very distinctive.

Cheers,
    Mark

If you look closely in the FSX Solomon scenery (which has Usios Elcos as scenery objects), I added the Macambo PT Boat base on that little island in the Tulagi Harbour, as well as the Todd City Navy base at Rendova. Here, PT109 is mooring at the beach...
    Apologies - I obviously need to explore the area further & have much to look forward to!!

opertation ten ichi go

Really glad to hear that You are expanding the project with more scenery and ships, and now that Mr Usio has allowed the use of His ships, there will be many more possibilities, one o them being able to recreate the final voyage of the Yamato and Her battle group. Thank You.

I already converted the Yamato, what a mighty ship this is! The scenario you have mentioned is possible, the ships needed for that are available in the package.

Er, I must mention something which is bugging me a lot, now that you mentioned Usio and his "permission". I wrote several mails in the last half year to Usio, and never got a response from him. I do not know if he is active anymore. Personally, I feel I do not violate his terms of usage he set in the readme file of his ships by porting them to FSX as long as everything is transparent, he gets the credits and the ships are exclusivly distributed as freeware and the original text of his conditions remains in the readme files.
    The only thing I am absolutly reluctant about is penetrating and altering his 3d designs without his permission (which is a pity, the carriers look awfully good). I think that's a no-no.

Oh well.

Cheers,
    Mark

Mark,
    Usio is certainly active in the sense that he has added new or updated ships to his website several times this year. It's obviously disappointing that he has not yet replied to any of your emails, but perhaps if you try one more time ...
    regs,
    Ro

OK, I'll do that. Also, if anyone here knows him or has had contact to him, please shoot me a PM.
    I really would like to put this on a solid ground which is not based upon my assumptions.

Thanks,
    Mark

From the AVSIM file library. Also uploaded to Flightsim.com.

<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" align="left">Flight Simulator X - Miscellaneous Files </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" width="*"> New! Solomon Islands 1943 AI Boat Traffic </td> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td> </td> <td width="*"> File Description:
    This project was inspired by Mark Schimmer's World War II-era Solomon Islands scenery, with routes are based on his outline. There are two US carrier groups, light carriers, destroyers, supply boats, PT boats, and IJN destroyer patrols. All ship models and textures are included, with permission from their respective authors.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" width="50%"> <tbody><tr> <td width="25%">Filename:</td> <td width="75%">solomon_islands_1943_naval_traffic_18.zip</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">License:</td> <td width="75%">Freeware</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Added:</td> <td width="75%">26th October 2010</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Downloads:</td> <td width="75%">36</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Author:</td> <td width="75%">David Wilson-Okamura, Mike Barnes, Phil Crowther, Mark Fitch, Bruce Fitzgerald, Alberto Garcia, Ron Jeffers, and Ian Thatcher</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Size:</td> <td width="75%">29939kb</td></tr></tbody></table>
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Thanks David, took the first flight from the carrier. Looking nice, wiil explore more later.
    I hope it will not interfere too much with Mark's enhancement package, we'll see.

Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Texture problem

Hello,

I use the Solomon 1943 package,
    but I encounter such anomalies

What causes this phenomenon?
    Irritating!

Thank you!

Zsolt

Looks like the trees are more than your video card can handle...try turning down your autogen slider a bit. If that doesn't work your card could be on the blink. What kind of card are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Looks like the trees are more than your video card can handle...try turning down your autogen slider a bit. If that doesn't work your card could be on the blink. What kind of card are you using?
    Ati HD5800

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post

Any idea?

Tree spikes = something is overloading FSX. Solution: turn something down. It could be autogen; or, with this scenery, it could be the special effects.

Mark, I wonder if, in the next version, effects could be tied to the scenery slider?
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Quote Originally Posted by dswo View Post
    Tree spikes = something is overloading FSX. Solution: turn something down. It could be autogen; or, with this scenery, it could be the special effects.

Mark, I wonder if, in the next version, effects could be tied to the scenery slider?
    Thanks for the info!
    Immediately try

I have experienced on occassion similar effects after simming for a while e.g. 30 minutes near fps intensive scenery, which is caused by heat build up. Improving ventilation outside box and inside by cleaning out dust on fans etc with compressed air (careful to first ground yourself so you don't fry the circuits with static electricity discharges - search/read how to do this correctly) makes a big improvement.

Now I'm only curious as to why the black grabber?

Quote Originally Posted by dswo View Post

The effect is most likely linked to the autogen slider and the graphic card. I was able to produce a similar - but transient - effect on my Nvidia 9600 GTO card. It only showed when panning around the aircraft in flight. Turning the autogen down, as suggested, should be the remedy (or better, get a new graphic card). I think this is a texture problem, induced by not enough RAM on the gfx card.

The scenery effects can not be tied to a FSX slider (at least AFAIK), because they are fixed, static elements in the scenery. The only scenery objects you can control with sliders are autogen objects and AI.

Sorry guys, the Solomon update is still cooking. Had a bit of a hiatus for a few weeks because of r/l obligations.

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    The effect is most likely linked to the autogen slider and the graphic card. I was able to produce a similar - but transient - effect on my Nvidia 9600 GTO card. It only showed when panning around the aircraft in flight. Turning the autogen down, as suggested, should be the remedy (or better, get a new graphic card). I think this is a texture problem, induced by not enough RAM on the gfx card.

The scenery effects can not be tied to a FSX slider (at least AFAIK), because they are fixed, static elements in the scenery. The only scenery objects you can control with sliders are autogen objects and AI.

Sorry guys, the Solomon update is still cooking. Had a bit of a hiatus for a few weeks because of r/l obligations.

Cheers,
    Mark
    This is my configuration:

RAM 2GB
    Graphics card Ati Radeon HD5800 1GB

From then on, I do not understand

Zsolt

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    This is my configuration:

RAM 2GB
    Graphics card Ati Radeon HD5800 1GB

From then on, I do not understand

Zsolt
    Hmmm, 1 gig should be enough, there must be another bottle neck.
    I'd suggest that you set the autogen slider to sparse and see if the problem still persists.
    That would proof where the problem is located.

BTW, there are much more demanding sceneries out there than Solomon 1943. Besides the trees, there are absolutely no other autogen objects, for example.

HTH
    Mark

Hello Mark,

Yes!

The slider has improved things
    So far, Very Desne was
    Now the Dense was enough

Thanks!

Regards,

Zsolt

Contribution

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post

Cheers,
    Mark
    I am enjoying your Solomons scenery. I am a fan of the PTO and your work in this area has been a blessing. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Is there a way I can help, with maybe a small donation?

Thanks again

Sam

Members who have read this thread: 35