[Released] FSX Solomon 1943 - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Released] FSX Solomon 1943

Very nice Mark, thanks for all your efforts!

To explore this area I can recommend Dave Garwood's Beaufighter with Jeansy's Australian textures, which can be found at OZx.

Does somebody know whether the Australians were present at the Solomons and where?

Thanks again,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by SADT View Post
    Hi Mark,

What airfield is that where crusader landed his PBY and got attacked? Also, are there any sound effects? Finally, what is the code for Rekata seaplane base? is there a flight that has been made so I can get there? Thanks in advance.
    SADT: Unfortuately I was just joking about my navigational skills . The airport code is AGGV which is the original Suavano in FSX . Mark has deleted this original FSX airport but Rakata Japanese Seaplane base is still there . If you click on AGGV in FSX's airport list it places just inside the treeline close to Rekata and if your in an amphib AC you can slip into the water and Rekata is close . I love this base and Mark has done an excellent job with the scenery objects especially the Japanese seaplanes . Wish I could find a Japanese AI seaplane that works in FSX as I am in the process of making an AFCAD(I use AFX) file with a water runway and parking spots . A flightplan would be possible if I'm successful with the AFCAD file . As far as the sounds I can't really answer that . I do know there are bases in Mark's scenery package where there is explosions and smoke . Mark would have to answer that .

Rich

Piglet's Kingfisher is a great plane to do some reconnaissance as well......

Cheers,
    Huub

Any AC AI being made ?

I am embarassed to say I have tried unsuccessful with trying to add AI . I am usually fairly good at AFX but I have run into a few snags . I have attempted AGGH , AGBK , and also tried to add a water runway to AGGV-Suavanao which was deleted in the scenery but now places you just inside the treeline close to the Japanese Seaplane Base at Rekata . I have made sure I have a tower and ground communication and add proper parking space that match the particular AC I use . I make sure I use AI AC that I or others have used in other FSX sceneries . Yes , I actually use the "fault finder" at the end and correct any mistakes . I really suspect I may be adding incorrect elevation/altitude numbers which I'm sure would render no AI showing up .

Question : If anyone has made some AFX(AFCAD) files or I should say changes for this scenery and would you mind sharing ????

Would be much appreciated:salute:

Rich:ernae:

Mark,
    you did a great job, thanks again!

Attachment 15872 Attachment 15871

Starting the trip towards the front lines. Here's a couple from the hop from AGGK over to AGHS.

Departing Cristobal Base:
    Attachment 15873

Arrival at Havalo Seaplane Base:
    Attachment 15874

FAC

Wonderful aircraft and scenes from the Solomons guys.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

That A-20 Havoc looks brill Mal, which model is that?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post

Does somebody know whether the Australians were present at the Solomons and where?
    Hi Hubb,

Here's a brief history of the RAAF involvement in the Solomons.

*No.24 Squadron was based at Vunakanau on Rabaul from Decemeber 1942 until driven out by the Japanese in February 1942. It was equipped with a mix of Wirraway (10) and Hudson's (4).

*No.11 Squadron also operated out of Rabaul during that period, although its base was Port Moresby in New Guinea. No.11 was equipped with a mix of Short Empire and Catalina flying boats. Re-equipped in November 1942 with Catalina's and based at Port Moresby it undertook reconnaissance, mining and rescue operations throughout the Solomons until 1945.

*No.5 Squadron operated Wirraway and Boomerang's over Bougainville from November 1944 to wars end.

* No.6 Squadron, while based on Goodenough Island in November 1943, flew night raids against Rabaul. It was equipped with the Beaufort bomber.

* No.8 Squadron was also based on Goodenough Island from August 1943 to April 1944. during that time it operated anti-shipping missions in and around New Britain.

Most RAAF units operated over New Guinea and points further north and west eg NEI, Morotai, Philippines etc. The Beaufighter was operated by No's 30 and 31 Squadrons, which saw action over New Guinea, Timor and the NEI.

Hope that helps.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    That A-20 Havoc looks brill Mal, which model is that?
    It's the old AS Boston ported over.

I only have one problem with the scenery. I have a large triangular white Polygon in the water south of San Cristobal. Is anyone else getting this? It doesn't really affect anything, I just happened to notice it yesterday on my first flight to the island.

NoNewMessages
    A picture or coordinates would help.

I saw it there too. Just go to overhead view from the Island and zoom out, you can't miss it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    That's it! I guess I should have been more specific, but it is so large I thought it was obvious, but if you haven't seen that you wouldn't know that. I'm guessing it's just an incorrectly labeled landclass, but having not made any terrain/scenery mods for FSX, I just don't know. I'll remember the overhead shot next time. I'm just glad someone else is seeing it and it isn't unique to my system. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not crazy.

NoNewMessages
    The overhead helps when trying to know which island's scenery files to look at when using the tools of the SDKs.

I can see what's wrong and why, but am pondering a temporary "fix" until Mark returns from his vacation.

NoNewMessages
    I wouldn't normally "fix" another developer's work, but I know Mark a little bit and do not think he will mind a quick and simple fix. He can make the permanent fix in about 30 seconds when he returns from vacation.

Take the BGL file in the Zip and copy it into the \Solomon 1943 Landscape\scenery folder and all the water should be back.

Just finished off the complete Solomons recon tour heading out of the area via the northern Japanese bases.

The attention to details made this a very enjoyable exploration. There are things to discover tucked in all over the place.

Attachment 16005Attachment 16006Attachment 16007Attachment 16008

FAC

Just a little note from a beach on the coast of France: it is a pleasure to see that people enjoy this! Love the screen shots!

I see that there is an error with a water polygon near San Cristobal, I will fix that upon returning - thanks NNM for stepping in.

Gotta close now, my little one keeps running away!

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Just a little note from a beach on the coast of France: it is a pleasure to see that people enjoy this! Love the screen shots!

I see that there is an error with a water polygon near San Cristobal, I will fix that upon returning - thanks NNM for stepping in.

Gotta close now, my little one keeps running away!

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark,

It is gratifying to hear that you are enjoying a well deserved vacation with your family. Thank you and also the rest of your team of SOH'ers for all your hard work on this project. You and the others put in a lot of effort on this and it shows. Excellent!

Stan (Maryland, USA)

Mark, you did a great job! Now enjoy your vacation.

expat

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I am embarassed to say I have tried unsuccessful with trying to add AI . I am usually fairly good at AFX but I have run into a few snags . I have attempted AGGH , AGBK , and also tried to add a water runway to AGGV-Suavanao which was deleted in the scenery but now places you just inside the treeline close to the Japanese Seaplane Base at Rekata . I have made sure I have a tower and ground communication and add proper parking space that match the particular AC I use . I make sure I use AI AC that I or others have used in other FSX sceneries . Yes , I actually use the "fault finder" at the end and correct any mistakes . I really suspect I may be adding incorrect elevation/altitude numbers which I'm sure would render no AI showing up .

Question : If anyone has made some AFX(AFCAD) files or I should say changes for this scenery and would you mind sharing ????

Would be much appreciated:salute:

Rich:ernae:
    Yes, I've tried to add parking spaces to add some extra places to start, if nothing else, but every time I try and add ANYTHING, half of the objects on the airfield disappear. AI flights are certainly a NO GO too.

The lack of other aircraft is making me think I'm in a Stephan King movie!! I'm a bit perplexed.

Bill

Thanks, wonderful work

Are there any way to carrier/naval traffic unlock for multiplayer?

OK, some pics of the fun I've been having.

impressive

went back to the default scenery to see the difference, all i can say is it is night and day, i definitely need a better computer to really enjoy it. maybe some developers will take notice with what's possible, i know this is not a combat sim, but with the right scenery and effects as You have shown it becomes a whole different experiance. thanks to everyone involved.